Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I need a dedicated tablet for mapping as the title suggests.

I don't have any intention of adding its own data connection, but in the event that I need to I would like it to be android as that is what I am familiar with.

So do any of you have any specific recommendations on one or Links to specific models or deals you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
I picked up a Chinese "Fusion 5" 10" tablet with GPS off of Amazon back in June and ran it all summer as my go-to mapping tablet. It's not fast but it did the job multiple trips including a big loop of the Rimrocker trail through Utah. Couldn't beat the price.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I picked up a Chinese "Fusion 5" 10" tablet with GPS off of Amazon back in June and ran it all summer as my go-to mapping tablet. It's not fast but it did the job multiple trips including a big loop of the Rimrocker trail through Utah. Couldn't beat the price.
Thanks for that

MrWright

Rank VI

Advocate III

Colorado Springs, El Paso County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Service Branch
US Marine Corps
Since you are looking for the android os I think you will like the Samsung Galaxy. I personally use the Apple iOS so I have an iPad Pro with its on cellular connection. I love it. 67 designs iPad holder. They 3D printed it so the fit is phenomenal. I recommend all of 67 designs products.

Attachments

Reactions: MSD and bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Since you are looking for the android os I think you will like the Samsung Galaxy. I personally use the Apple iOS so I have an iPad Pro with its on cellular connection. I love it. 67 designs iPad holder. They 3D printed it so the fit is phenomenal. I recommend all of 67 designs products.
Is your Garmin connected to your tablet for location purposes or are you using the GPS in the tablet?

MrWright

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Service Branch
US Marine Corps
Is your Garmin connected to your tablet for location purposes or are you using the GPS in the tablet?

I use the Garmin for emergencies. I just mount the devices up there so I can run the charging cords down behind the mounts and into the dash. Makes it real clean. I have the usb cables connected to a usb hub and then to a surge protector power strip. The strip is connected to a 500watt inverter. I have a streamlight strion flashlight piggyback charger mounted to the floorboard. I will post pictures once I get everything straightened up and cleaned.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

MrWright

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Service Branch
US Marine Corps

The tablet has its own cellular connection so I use Gaia gps on it.

MrWright

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Service Branch
US Marine Corps
The tablet has its own cellular connection so I use Gaia gps on it.
So how does that work where thee is no cellular signal? The map is still there but your location is not indicated I suppose?
I download map areas with Gaia and with OnXhunt. I am really good with paper maps and a compass too. I’ve never gotten lost.

Reactions: Shahn and bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I download map areas with Gaia and with OnXhunt. I am really good with paper maps and a compass too. I’ve never gotten lost.
I see.

I am specifically moe concerned with ending up on a closed/private/whatever road like I may have recently, so I'm concerned that paper won't reflect the same things that would be available on a MVUM

MrWright

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Service Branch
US Marine Corps
I see.

I am specifically moe concerned with ending up on a closed/private/whatever road like I may have recently, so I'm concerned that paper won't reflect the same things that would be available on a MVUM
Very true.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So how does that work where thee is no cellular signal? The map is still there but your location is not indicated I suppose?
The internal GPS on Tablets equipped with GPS (All Android, and only Cell model iPads), is very accurate and does not require a cell signal.

most of this trip posted below was outside of cell coverage and was recorded using OB1 on my iPad without any kind of external GPS Device. D7B955D4-DE2A-4F1B-B87F-897D0B92BD33.png

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

The internal GPS on Tablets equipped with GPS (All Android, and only Cell model iPads), is very accurate and does not require a cell signal.

most of this trip posted below was outside of cell coverage and was recorded using OB1 on my iPad without any kind of external GPS Device. View attachment 214782
Awesome thanks, and what tablet do you use please?

mwilsonsr58

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Georgia
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I use a Dual xgps 150 GPS receiver with an iPad. The GPS connects to the iPad via Bluetooth and is very accurate and doesn’t need cellular if you download maps.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I use a Dual xgps 150 GPS receiver with an iPad. The GPS connects to the iPad via Bluetooth and is very accurate and doesn’t need cellular if you download maps.
Good information here, thanks. Dual XGPS150 I have some distrust in integrated GPS in phones and tablets, whether that distrust is valid or not. This looks like a viable back up, but I dont know that an Inreach wouldn't do the same thing and provide other features? In other words wouldn't the same money be as well/better spent on an Inreach?

Reactions: MiamiC70

mwilsonsr58

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Georgia
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

The Inreach costs 4 times as much and requires monthly subscription, while Inreach offers a lot it wasn’t worth extra money to me.

AJ. Adventures

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Dycke
Member #

Service Branch
Canadian Veteran
I hadn’t heard of the XGPS and was just checking it out. It sounds like a good system for overlanding but I like having the option of taking the inreach out when I hike. Plus the emergency SAR button gives pretty good piece of mind. The connection to the tablet is pretty smooth too. If you’re going into harsh places like deserts or Arctic I’d recommend the inreach explorer+

er waddell

Rank VI
Investor

Influencer I

Bay Colony Street, Las Vegas, Nevada 89131, United States
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Waddell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7GYU
Service Branch
United States Army
I have tried a few of the cheaper android tablets from Amazon. 3 different models I have tried.
They do the job, but will most likely be very slow, or have some other quirk that annoyed me.
I bit the bullet and bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 5g.
I run multiple gps software at the same time. It is fast and has lots of storage.
I do have one problem though. The screen always shuts off. I have tried many options to keep it on.....but