Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Temecula, CA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Oldham
Member #

Hello, the wife and I are trying to plan a lttle overland getaway for the early part of January. We wanted to head off to Death Valley for a few days/nights, wander around, see some sights, and do some primitive camping. We might head over to the Mojave Road at some point as well. When checking the Death Valley NP website, it states that due to the California Stay at Home order, all campsites are closed. Does anybody know if this prohibits all camping or just camping at developed campgrounds? I plan on calling the park office in the morning but thought I’d throw it out there in case anybody here has some knowledge.

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
Hi, my wife and I were there in the first week of December. We were doing some dispersed camping East of Furnace Creek. I believe the shut down started the second day we were there, and there were people camped out at the Stovepipe site, but I believe that site and the other sites are currently shut down but dispersed camping is still allowed. Google the number ro the ranger station at Stovepipe and they can confirm it for you. Bring some warm clothes for when the sun goes down, it gets pretty cold at night!

Waltzing Matilda JT

Rank V
Investor

Endurance I

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Daharsh
Member #

Im law enforcement in Death Valley. The developed sites are closed. However, dispersed camping is allowed on Echo Cyn, westside rd, warm springs cyn, racetrack, hunter mt, and alot of surrounding areas just not developed campsites such as Furnace Creek, Sunset, Mesquite, Saline Valley.

Luinil Explorations

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Wherever I am at the moment
First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
sharing our travels with the world.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
Im law enforcement in Death Valley. The developed sites are closed. However, dispersed camping is allowed on Echo Cyn, westside rd, warm springs cyn, racetrack, hunter mt, and alot of surrounding areas just not developed campsites such as Furnace Creek, Sunset, Mesquite, Saline Valley.
I appreciate you taking the time to let us know what is open/closed as well as your service in law enforcement.

TheViking

Rank III

Member I

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Nielsen
Member #

Thank you for this! Headed out in a couple weeks. Do you know if any dispersed sites have steel fire rings? Or is that only for developed sites? I know you cant have wood fires unless it has the steel ring from what I can see.
Also is there an emergency HAM frq in that area?

Reactions: 4Rnr-Ed