Death Valley

• HTML tutorial

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I have been invited to join some friends in Death Valley in late April. They are not overlanding and will be using Panamint as their base for the weekend. I have experience with desert travel, so I'm not too worried about safety concerns (well, no more than usual).

Are there any day-routes that anyone would recommend? I may also be interested a two-day route that would take me back towards Salt Lake since I will have an extra day after they head home. I'm thinking of trying to get out to Racetrack Playa if I can make it work time-wise. I know that some of the routes are multi-day runs, but with one central camp for most this trip, I will be somewhat limited.

I have ordered the FunTreks book for California and I need to get myself some good maps of the area; I tend to like to buy those from the visitor's center. I know they are more expensive, but it supports the park.

Any insight into road conditions and obstacles would be welcome. I have done trails like Elephant Hill and Fins'n'Things in Moab, so I am comfortable with some of the more difficult obstacles. It really comes down to time.

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
DV has a Facebook page specifically for road conditions...

As for day trips you have a lot of options, that guidebook will help. Panamint Springs is a convenient starting point. If you truly have the whole day you could do Titus Canyon, or Racetrack, or even the Saline hot spring. It really comes down to what you want to see, how many hours you have, and how much seat time you want to put in...

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I'm good with all day in the vehicle, I'm planning on getting my off road lighting done before I head out in case I get caught out on the trail after dark. (LED fog lights, bumper spot lights, flood ditch lights, roof LED bar, alley lights, and maybe a rear facing flood/dust light --- I'm scared of the dark.)

Saline hot spring sounds interesting, I will put it on the list of ones to look up. I will have my wife check their facebook page for me, I've pretty much abandoned my account.

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
If I were in your shoes I'd do this:

Panamint Springs > Saline Valley > Up Lippincott Rd. > Racetrack.

From the Racetrack (or Teaketttle Junction to be exact) you can head north to Ubehebe crater then back down the highway to PS, or from teakettle you could loop around the Hunter Mtn. area and south back to PS.

Lots of info on both these routes exist, it would probaby be in your guidebook as well.

IMO Lippincott is the best trail in DV...

Reactions: TreXTerra

Enthusiast I

Brentwood, CA
Member #

If I were in your shoes I'd do this:

Panamint Springs > Saline Valley > Up Lippincott Rd. > Racetrack.

From the Racetrack (or Teaketttle Junction to be exact) you can head north to Ubehebe crater then back down the highway to PS, or from teakettle you could loop around the Hunter Mtn. area and south back to PS.

Lots of info on both these routes exist, it would probaby be in your guidebook as well.

IMO Lippincott is the best trail in DV...
That sure would be a long day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

OffWheelin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Torrance, CA
Member #

A couple years ago we used Panamint Springs as a base for day trips. You can get some ideas from our routes. The book you ordered should help clarify the details.

1) Panamint, Hunter Mtn., Teakettle, Racetrack, Lippincott Mine, Lippencott grade, Saline Valley, and return. That is a long enough day if you are going to explore the mines along the route.
2) Beatty, Rhyolite, Titus Canyon, Sand Dunes, Furnace Creek Inn, visitor center, outdoor museum
3) Skidoo Mine, Aguereberry Point, Harrisburg, Charcoal Kilns
4) Keeler, Swansea Grade, Cerro Gordo, Darwin, Old Toll Road

Also, there is Ballarat and the Pleasant Canyon loop.

Attachments

Reactions: TreXTerra