Rank IV

Explorer I

Denver, Colorado, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Jensen
Member #

I'd like to either participate in, or plan a DV trip. Just one of the parks of which I've yet to explore.

DV seems to do backcountry camping a bit differently (maybe I've spent too much time in UT/CO/WY parks); do I read correctly that one can obtain a permit and then basically camp...within rules...anywhere in non-wilderness?

Clarity and experience appreciated! Thanks :-)

matttrent

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Oakland, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Trent
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HHO
Pretty much yes.

Fill out the permit here, and email it to the listed address. It's mostly just so they can keep track of people in such a massive, sparsely attended park.

Backcountry camping is anywhere more than 1 mile from a paved road, not in a wilderness area (which usually start 50ft from dirt roads), and a few exceptions. This map has all the details of where you can and can't.

Reactions: Pskhaat

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Check out this thread; Death Valley trip Main thing to remember is DV is frelling HUGE! Don't expect to see it all in one trip unless you have 2 months to stay there. Or you are one of the drive-by visitors that don't get out of the car.
I've camped at some of the old mining areas like Queen of Sheba mine and Chloride with awesome views and no one else. Stayed at the Geologist cabin(Butte Valley) and Minnettia Cabin in Panamint Valley, those are first come first serve, if the flag is up the cabin is occupied.
It can be very cold and windy. Be self sufficient, leave no trace.

Recommended reading; Death Valley in '49 by Manly, the Hiking Death Valley book by M Digonnet

Reactions: Pskhaat