Daniel Boone Backwoods Byway

• HTML tutorial

Bill Guerre

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kokomo, IN
Member #

I will be driving down to do the DBBB first weekend of April. I was wondering if anyone has done this loop so far and if so, how long did the loop take you to complete. Thanks!

Reactions: caswanson

PaulK

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Spruce Pine, NC
Member #

This might be a good time for some shameless self-promotion. My YouTube channel has a LOT of videos from the DBBB. You've probably already seen them if you've been searching for DBBB videos! www.youtube.com/c/RevereOverland

Your shameless self promotion post earned a subscriber. =)

Not a super far trip for me. Might have to check that place out. Is there any good camping along the rout? Might be a nice trip for the family to enjoy.

Revere

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgetown, Kentucky
Member #

Your shameless self promotion post earned a subscriber. =)

Not a super far trip for me. Might have to check that place out. Is there any good camping along the rout? Might be a nice trip for the family to enjoy.
Thanks!

Spaas Creek (north end of the loop) has the best camping spots. There are a bunch of clearings along the creek and just off the trail. Walker Creek, just off Old Fincastle, has a disused railroad where there is a large clearing just off the embankment too. It's a short distance up the optional 'extreme route', but long before you come across anything challenging. There is also a cool overlook over a wooden bridge just off Cave Fork Road. It's on private land, but the owners are ok with people safely and respectfully using the area.

Reactions: Bill Guerre

PaulK

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Spruce Pine, NC
Member #

So i am fairly novice at this type of a trip but eager to do it. I do have a few questions though.

1. Is my vehicle going to be too big (wide) for some of the runs? I saw some videos where jeeps were barely squeezing between rocks...
2. I didnt see anything that looked like my truck wouldnt be able to do it, but as I understand, the Tundra does not have a locking differential rear (or front). Will that be much of an issue? I have heard people talk about ATrac, but not sure if I have it or if its good enough for this trip...
3. I have a 4" lift (i think), 35" tires, will that be ok for clearance?
4. I have no underarmor for the truck (skid plates and such) is there a serious risk of hurting the undercarriage on this trip?
5. Is there any gear that is "must-have" for this trip?

Any info would be appreciated.

Revere

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgetown, Kentucky
Member #

So i am fairly novice at this type of a trip but eager to do it. I do have a few questions though.

1. Is my vehicle going to be too big (wide) for some of the runs? I saw some videos where jeeps were barely squeezing between rocks...
2. I didnt see anything that looked like my truck wouldnt be able to do it, but as I understand, the Tundra does not have a locking differential rear (or front). Will that be much of an issue? I have heard people talk about ATrac, but not sure if I have it or if its good enough for this trip...
3. I have a 4" lift (i think), 35" tires, will that be ok for clearance?
4. I have no underarmor for the truck (skid plates and such) is there a serious risk of hurting the undercarriage on this trip?
5. Is there any gear that is "must-have" for this trip?

Any info would be appreciated.
If you're just doing the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway you'll be fine with what you have. Plenty of people do it with open differentials and stock-height JK(U)s. There are some tight sections, but nothing a full sized truck can't do. The two rocks you mentioned us squeezing through aren't actually on the DBBB, they're on Hell For Certain Creek. Interestingly, I know that a Hummer H2 has taken Hell For Certain and made it! I think they might have bypassed the rocks though!

Most of the year you can do the DBBB alone, but right now it's really muddy. We went out last weekend and again on Friday night and had no issues on the main loop. I'd go with a friend and take some Maxtrax (or similar) just in case. Good tires always help too.

28468071_10159927960930459_478315775177460451_n.jpg

28164676_10159927633365459_8394555668933440240_o.jpg

PaulK

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Spruce Pine, NC
Member #

I think my tires are good. I do plan to do it with the group above im not that brave yet... Ill try and pickup a basic recovery kit as well so Im not the only guy at the party unprepared. Eventually ill gear up better but I just don't want to be the holdup for everyone else if i'm not "qualified"... mechanically speaking.

Here is what my truck looks like....

And these are the tires....

Reactions: Ram12

Revere

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgetown, Kentucky
Member #

Whoa, those maxtracks seem amazingly simple and awesome.
Yeah Maxtrax are great. I always thought they were a waste of money until I saw them in action last weekend. They were the only reason we were able to get up one of the hills we went up! I'm ordering a cheaper version from Offroad Boar.

Looking at your rig you will be absolutely fine. You could probably do some of the harder side trails too!

The only other thing I recommend is some form of communications. Pretty much everyone has a CB radio, and people are starting to get ham radios too now.

Reactions: PaulK