Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
Well, my dreams of installing the Cummins came to a screeching halt yesterday. I bought a running low mileage rover 300TDI engine yesterday for my engine swap. Much less fab work and will save many thousands for my build.

Reactions: Thelgord

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

As much as would love to do the Cummins swap, the price is just a bit too high for my taste. Even the initial cost of the motor, you still need to other work, the fuel filler, fuel lines, etc... There are more cost effective options available.

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
Mine is already diesel so would have been easier. For 9k, you get a brand new engine, wiring harness, ECU, alternator, power steering pump, belts, and pedal assembly. Its a pretty good deal and less than an LS conversion. Yes, the adapters can be pricey but more fabricators will bring those prices down.

xathor

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Harvest, AL
Member #

My buddy says that the MT82 from a Puma should bolt to the R2.8, if not an adapter between the engine and transmission isn't that difficult. The MT82 already bolts to the LT230.

With the MT82 you'll probably want: http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/mt82-output-shaft-kit.html

You can buy a brand new MT82 from Ashcroft with the kit already installed for like $2,000.

Add the $9000 of the Cummins kit and that's $11,000 for a brand new Cummins 0 mile motor with a 0 mile 6 speed transmission that bolts to your LT230. All you need to do is fabricate motor mounts, hook up a few wires, the DBW pedal assembly, and add a radiator and intercooler.

Reactions: Thelgord