Member I

Fort Collins, Larimer County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Hi all,

Just joined as a member but have been following the OB YT channel for sometime now. Really looking forward to engaging with and contributing to the OB community, especially those of you located in Northern Colorado. This will be the build thread for my recently acquired 2012 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Edition along with my over-landing adventures in this rig.

I'd like to start with a bit of background on me, my past rigs, and my plans for this rig. I will then reserve several posts for upgrade/maintenance lists, post index, etc.
  • Name: Eric Jackson
  • Location: Fort Collins, CO (been here for 10 years... not planning on leaving)
  • Family/Interests: Wife and 4 kids ranging from 6-15... family adventures is what brought us to CO; love pop-up camping, hiking, some of us mountain bike and ride motorcycles
  • Past Rigs: 1993 Toyota 4Runner (performed a 3.4L swap); 2001 Toyota Tundra Access Cab (recently traded to my dad for the FJ); 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series (being relegated to pop-up camper duty and 16 yr old daughter's tank in a few months), KTM 890 Adventure R adventure motorcycle
Baseline status of the FJ:
  • Mileage: ~116K miles
  • Engine: Stock w/ the exception of a K&N Air intake/filter
  • Tires/Suspension: Stock suspension with BFG KO2's (265/75/R16) on stock TRD wheels
  • Exterior/Armor: Aftermarket front hoop bumper (unknown make) with Rugged Ridge 8.5 winch; stock "rock sliders" and skid "plates"; stock roof rack; tow hitch with trailer brake controller
  • Interior: Stock
Current Plans for the rig:
  • Daily driving, over-landing rig well suited for 2-3 people to sustain 2-3 day camping trips unassisted
  • Baseline fluids / maintenance over the next 60 days
  • Tires: Swapping 265's to 100-Series Landcruiser; install 295/75/r16 BFG KO2's on FJ
  • Suspension: Evaluating local Toytec suspension systems to net 2" of lift
  • Roof Rack: Uninstall stock rack (Complete) and install Sherpa Equipment Fuji rack (on order)
  • Remove towing hitch and brake controller (complete)
  • Body: Swapping front grill bezel to white (purchased) and vinyl wrapping roof to white
  • Bumper modification: Removing hoop from front bumper, add (2) LED lights, add a chuck for future on-board air, sand/paint
  • Fender Flare Delete: In-process
  • Install scan-gauge and code for transmission cooler
  • Install auxillary transmission cooler
  • Relocate windshield fluid reservoir
  • Rear diff breather extension
  • Dual Batter setup: in design
  • Onboard air system: in design
  • Communications: in design
Many more things to come but this is my initial list out the gate. Here are a few pics how I received it and I will add current a pic history in a reserved post.

Thanks so much for joining the journey and I look forward to you feedback and recommendations!!

IMG-1766.jpgIMG-1762.jpgIMG-1764.jpgIMG-1769.jpg

Reactions: Travelinjohnnie