Cross Country Willys - Vintage TAT 2020

• HTML tutorial

Vtpeter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vermont
Member #

I have posted in the trip planning forum the cross country plans for 2020. This will hopefully become a well attended vintage vehicle adventure across the country. More information will be posted soon on the planning of this, along with website and Facebook info.

I have been involved with old Jeeps for a long time. Driving across the TAT has been a dream for a while. Doing it in a 50yr Jeep just seemed to make sense . One last big adventure, at a very slow pace.

My build is a collection of parts, mostly based off of a Willys CJ3B Jeep. I started off with a pretty good body tub. Cut it in half, and stretched it out 20" to fit on an early CJ6 frame. The rest of the vehicle is mostly stock, with a few needed upgrades for long distance trips. Bigger brakes, upgraded Ross steering from a V6 CJ5, larger fuel capacity, overdrive. I am using a Fhead 4cly, original T90c/D18/D25/D44 drivetrain. Everything is properly rebuilt.

Willys made a long wheelbase CJ3B model, mostly for export. They also licensed overseas companies to build these, under different names. I thought this would be a perfect vintage Jeep to use on long adventures. More room , better ride.

I'll try to keep this updated, as this project moves forward.20180413_140807.jpg 20180413_140807.jpg 20180413_140807.jpg 20180425_143931.jpg 20180425_143918.jpg

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I have posted in the trip planning forum the cross country plans for 2020. This will hopefully become a well attended vintage vehicle adventure across the country. More information will be posted soon on the planning of this, along with website and Facebook info.

I have been involved with old Jeeps for a long time. Driving across the TAT has been a dream for a while. Doing it in a 50yr Jeep just seemed to make sense . One last big adventure, at a very slow pace.

My build is a collection of parts, mostly based off of a Willys CJ3B Jeep. I started off with a pretty good body tub. Cut it in half, and stretched it out 20" to fit on an early CJ6 frame. The rest of the vehicle is mostly stock, with a few needed upgrades for long distance trips. Bigger brakes, upgraded Ross steering from a V6 CJ5, larger fuel capacity, overdrive. I am using a Fhead 4cly, original T90c/D18/D25/D44 drivetrain. Everything is properly rebuilt.

Willys made a long wheelbase CJ3B model, mostly for export. They also licensed overseas companies to build these, under different names. I thought this would be a perfect vintage Jeep to use on long adventures. More room , better ride.

I'll try to keep this updated, as this project moves forward.View attachment 82709 View attachment 82709 View attachment 82709 View attachment 82710 View attachment 82711
Wow!!! I am envious of those with this type of skill. Looking forward to the build.

Reactions: Jeepinit

Vtpeter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vermont
Member #

I cannot take credit for the sheet metal work. I friend of mine did this at his fabrication shop. This build is going to be very original looking, and rustic. No lift or big tires, no shiny parts, etc. But I do want to build it well. It's going to get a lot of miles on it. Mechanically as perfect as we can get it. Appearance wise, not so perfect.

Vtpeter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vermont
Member #

Moving forward on this project. This week the axles, transfercase, and transmission should be assembled. It has been difficult to source out the parts we need, but we have everything now. I am using only NOS or excellent condition original parts for these important assemblies. I am very suspect of the reproduction replacement parts that are currently being sold. This is one of my biggest worries about the Vintage TAT Adventure. I hope that the vehicles that join us are well prepared, using good quality parts. Having mechanical issues on the trail will not be fun.

I found the NOS springs that I was looking for. A quick repainting, and they will be ready to go. Hopefully we will have a rolling chassis by early February. The steering box has been rebuilt. I was very lucky to have found NOS parts for this, especially the sector shaft. The steering will be converted to a two hole right side knuckle, and one piece tie rod.

The motor I have is a 4cly Fhead. This has supposedly been "rebuilt" by a reputable shop several years ago but never used. I bought it as part of a "project" that was never completed. We're going to partially disassemble and check everything we can before we try starting this up. Unfortunately everything else that was "rebuilt" on this parts Jeep I bought was very poorly done, and unusable. Hopefully the motor is good, or this build will get a lot more expensive.....

Old scout

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Chino, CA, USA
First Name
patrick
Last Name
butler
Member #

It’s always great to see someone keeping a vintage vehicle going I’m a firm believer in built not bought if you can go out with an older vehicle and still make it home it adds to the adventure

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Vtpeter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vermont
Member #

Hi Old Scout. I definitely like the utilitarian look of the old vehicles. Vintage vehicles always have a crowd around them at the events I go to. Old vehicles always seem to have a great story, and a history that the owners like to share. I like hearing about them.

I see new vehicles roll into my camp all the time . They are usually built up from stock configuration , alot. These vehicles are impressive, and the owners are equally passionate about them. These are very capable off road, and good at rolling down the highway for hours in relative comfort. I think I like any vehicle that actually gets taken out on adventures, and the owners enjoy the experience of it all.

Vtpeter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vermont
Member #

Slowly moving forward on this project. Got the axles installed, so we have a rolling chassis. Transfercase and transmission are rebuilt, and ready to go in. Bolted on the stock 16" wheels, and was relieved to see that they fit over the larger brakes we installed. I was a little worried about that. Engine goes in soon. It's totally rebuilt, but never started. Took a chance on this purchase. I hope it runs well....

Vtpeter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vermont
Member #

Slowly moving forward on this project. Got the axles installed, so we have a rolling chassis. Transfercase and transmission are rebuilt, and ready to go in. Bolted on the stock 16" wheels, and was relieved to see that they fit over the larger brakes we installed. I was a little worried about that. Engine goes in soon. It's totally rebuilt, but never started. Took a chance on this purchase. I hope it runs well....
Sorry it's been so long since an update. I've been crazy busy with work, trip planning, and Jeep building. This project is coming along slowly at the moment. Finishing other projects first. I've been collecting a lot of parts. Things should progress quickly when I get back on it. This Jeep needs to be ready for Moab Easter Jeep Safari 2020. IMG_20190521_222243_573.jpg

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding