Launch Member

Traveler III

Cumming Georgia
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Crenshaw
Member #

So, I have a work conference coming up in Denver Colorado and I figured “what a great opportunity to show my kids the country!” I plan on taking the I40 route from Atlanta to the Grand Canyon and camp on the North Rim. Then we will be driving up to Denver for the conference.

I plan on stopping at all the greats like the Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo Tx. and the great crater in Mew Mexico. Only thing is, it’s going to be about 10 hrs a day in a vehicle for a 4 and 7 year old for days on end. There will be stopping points and lots of cool things to see, but I’m just worried about that much time in a car for them.

Anyone done this? How did it go and other than movies etc… how did the kiddos cope. The wife is pretty worried about them just not tolerating it after a couple of days. Thanks for any input!

• Wow
Reactions: 9Mike2

Chuckem12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

At that age....two days is the max they'll be able to endure without some sort of issue or attitude. The movies and games are good initially but the longer the trip the more risk of developing car sickness...and once the first one gets sick the second will follow shortly. Try to keep their heads up instead of looking down at a screen. I've done three day trips but we stop every 3 hours for either gas or drink or to walk around. Its tough stopping so often and just drags the trip/drive but for young kids its a must. I encourage naps often on anything longer than 4 hours. Drinks with minimal sugar (water/capri sun, etc.) and healthier snacks or chips with less sugar. If the vehicle is big enough, something for them to draw on (even a clipboard will work) and a way to keep crayons or markers close. Let the sun shine on them...not all day but for a bit to help them stay tired and sleep. Even if they sleep on the ride they'll still be tired at night when you stop. If they drink it, No milk at the start of the day but towards the end of the day is okay (at least for us it was). A portable toilet works great for emergencies....they range in price and size but I've used them multiple times and are great when on highways or long roads. Baby wipes!....multiple packs of baby wipes.

TCorona

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Corona
Member #

Hey There,
Yeah, you just never know with kids...
Just make sure you utilize frequent opportunities to stop at rest areas and 'points of interest' , to help with bathroom breaks and a chance for them to run around and release all that energy.
Electronic gadgets are fine, but find games to play that are part of the trip; like have them write down how many different license plates and what states they're from that they see, try to get the "big rig" trucks to honk back at them, how many old barns they can see in a certain area, etc.
make snacks and meal breaks part of the trip by packing a ice chest and stopping to make lunch, bring a privacy tent for emergency bathroom stops...

Good Luck and... 'May the Force be with You'

jrlombard

Rank V

Advocate II

Laurel, MD, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lombard
Member #

We did this trip several years ago when our boys were 6 and 3 taking six days in total. Across 40 from West to East, and yes, we caught some of these same sights as well. We hit Cadillac Ranch as well as a great children's museum in Little Rock, AR. It's a little ways off of 40, but well worth the stop. However, even with the stops, 10 hours a day is a lot to ask from young kids. We tried to pick one major "fun" activity per day to break up the trip, a few hours in the morning, a few hours in the afternoon, making up the rest of the time in the evenings after their bedtime. It was easier to get them to sleep in the evenings, so we tried to make good headway between 8:00 and 11:00 each evening. It makes for some long days but accomplishes the goal of showing them the country, showing them fun activities, all while getting us to the destination.

Like @TCorona mentioned, we also brought a portable toilet and copious amounts of snacks. The center console of our Volvo wagon looked like we robbed the snack aisle of a 7-Eleven.

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
Let them help pick and plan things to see and do. Both in planning stages and stay fluid while on the road. If something catches their attention roll with it and go exploring.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
When ours were young we did lots of cross country and long trips. For the most part the kids did really well, We had them each pack a backpack with thier favorite toys and books (we also secretly packed a supply of additional toys and goodies so we can swap in a couple of new items every day or so while they are sleeping so there would be a surprise the next day). allways played the license plate game and eye spy on these trips (mind you this was before personal electronics so there were no movies, phones etc. I think toward the end they had game boys perhaps). We did make sure that fuel and food stops involved some outside pysical activity, and tried to find roadside attractions that would apeal to them (and usually fun for the parents too). one of the best things was to give them jobs/ responsibilites that they could handle during the trip (emptying the trash, setting up certain things in camp etc, made them feel part of the trip. Of course there was occasional bouts of crankyness throughout the day, and some of them were from the kids..lol Overall a great experiance and one that we all remember many years later.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I’ve done a long roadtrip with kids, but they were teenagers. We went from Alabama to Seattle and back via San Diego. Also went up to Maine on another trip. When they were younger we did tons of RV (tow trailer) trips. Kids never really complained, but we stopped a lot and they knew we had a good place to stay. Still, I think those long road trips were more memorable as we did a ton of stuff. YMMV

T4R13

Rank IV

Traveler III

Lewis County, West Virginia, United States
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Schriner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8VAF
Spend a month at a time multiple times the past few years. My kids are 2 4 and 7. Thee big kids do great the little one has her moments. Just gotta know your kids, and there limits. They are all different, just do t push it or it will be miserable for everyone. Bring iPads, plenty of snacks and small toys and let them out every stop you make. But like I said if not for the little one we would hardly know our kids are back there

overlandxc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Cumming Georgia
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Crenshaw
Member #

All great advice and thank you! It’s nerve racking , but we are going across country from Atlanta to Denver, Vail, Grand Canyon, and everything in between! Taking a lot of the advice to heart and putting it into action. Thank you again and look forward to posting some (hopefully) amazing pics.

Walkers

Rank III

Advocate I

Cave Creek, AZ, USA
First Name
Benn
Last Name
Quadineros
So, I have a work conference coming up in Denver Colorado and I figured “what a great opportunity to show my kids the country!” I plan on taking the I40 route from Atlanta to the Grand Canyon and camp on the North Rim. Then we will be driving up to Denver for the conference.

I plan on stopping at all the greats like the Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo Tx. and the great crater in Mew Mexico. Only thing is, it’s going to be about 10 hrs a day in a vehicle for a 4 and 7 year old for days on end. There will be stopping points and lots of cool things to see, but I’m just worried about that much time in a car for them.

Anyone done this? How did it go and other than movies etc… how did the kiddos cope. The wife is pretty worried about them just not tolerating it after a couple of days. Thanks for any input!

My condolences!

• Haha