Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Angier, NC, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Gravelle
Member #

My brother and I are going to make a quick run up to the Corral Hollow Trail near Bear Valley off of Highway 4 on Saturday.
Anyone who wants to join us is more than welcome. I hear it's an easy trail... we plan on leaving from Stockton at 7:00am and will be arriving at rally point near 10:00am Saturday. Hope to see some other Overland Bound Members there!

View Rally Point

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
I wouldn’t call it “easy,” exactly, but there’s not too much rough stuff, and what there is I made with my leveled Tacoma without real trouble. Great picnic spot where Michael posted is his camping spot.

Sorry I can’t join you. Have a good time.

BobG

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Angier, NC, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Gravelle
Member #

I wouldn’t call it “easy,” exactly, but there’s not too much rough stuff, and what there is I made with my leveled Tacoma without real trouble. Great picnic spot where Michael posted is his camping spot.

Sorry I can’t join you. Have a good time.
Thanks for your input! We've never run this trail before. I read it was easy, but I guess we'll see on Saturday. Have a great weekend, Bob

RangerBill

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
Member #

I might see you on Saturday. I'll be in Bear Valley for the weekend, but might be heading to the Eastern Sierras for a day trip.

I attempted Corral Hollow two weeks ago from both ends. The first day I started from the East. I ran into three other vehicles (older Land Cruiser, full-size Chevy pick-up, and very new and shiny Range Rover). Within the first half mile, the LC and pick-up had both sustained damage and the RR came close to rolling. I can't comment on whether that was because of driver skill or the trail, but being a relative newbie, I tucked my tail between my legs and turned around.

The next day, I tackled it from the West at your meet-up spot. It went much better and I made it all the way to the top of the ridge. The trail was just challenging enough for me to feel slightly out of my comfort zone, but not overwhelming. The fall colors and the views were amazing! From the top of the ridge, I returned back down the way I came rather than risk the larger obstacles traveling solo.

IMG_3879.JPG

IMG_3874.JPG

Oh, and I didn't escape unscathed. But really, those steps needed to go anyway....

IMG_3882.JPG

If I don't see you on Saturday, I'd love a trip report. I'm still trying to gauge what more experienced OB members consider easy, medium, and hard trails.

BobG

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Angier, NC, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Gravelle
Member #

I might see you on Saturday. I'll be in Bear Valley for the weekend, but might be heading to the Eastern Sierras for a day trip.

I attempted Corral Hollow two weeks ago from both ends. The first day I started from the East. I ran into three other vehicles (older Land Cruiser, full-size Chevy pick-up, and very new and shiny Range Rover). Within the first half mile, the LC and pick-up had both sustained damage and the RR came close to rolling. I can't comment on whether that was because of driver skill or the trail, but being a relative newbie, I tucked my tail between my legs and turned around.

The next day, I tackled it from the West at your meet-up spot. It went much better and I made it all the way to the top of the ridge. The trail was just challenging enough for me to feel slightly out of my comfort zone, but not overwhelming. The fall colors and the views were amazing! From the top of the ridge, I returned back down the way I came rather than risk the larger obstacles traveling solo.

View attachment 74590

View attachment 74591

Oh, and I didn't escape unscathed. But really, those steps needed to go anyway....

View attachment 74592

If I don't see you on Saturday, I'd love a trip report. I'm still trying to gauge what more experienced OB members consider easy, medium, and hard trails.
Will do, thanks!

jginca

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salinas CA
First Name
John
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Th

View attachment 74590

View attachment 74591

View attachment 74592

ose are optional.

Reactions: RangerBill

BobG

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Angier, NC, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Gravelle
Member #

Okay we ran the trail today and it is definety more moderate than easy. Maybe 4 or 5 tough spots, but other than that, it was just a great trip. No mishaps, no dents, fairly easy over 80% of the trail. Thanks RANGERBILL for going with us, it was a blast!

RangerBill

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
Member #

Truly a fun day! Agreed that this is not an "easy" trail. I was happy to have the expert guidance along the way!