cooling system for RTT in summer camping?

• HTML tutorial

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I'm curious what everyone uses for cooling system (fans, a\c units) in summer time camping while sleeping in your RTT?
I've found the Ryobi cordless fan really helpful in both van and my hardshell RTT when I want to get a cross breeze flowing. Open vents/windows at opposite ends and either have the fan blowing out so it pulls in air from the other side, or blowing directly at you. You can aim and tilt it to your needs and can hang it too, if needed.

It has a couple speeds and will last a long time on the low setting with larger 18v rechargeable. This one is dual power, in that you can use the 18v battery or plug it into 110. If you already have other Ryobi 18v cordless tools, it's a simple inexpensive solution (about $40 at home Depot, plus battery and charger if you don't already have them) that surprisingly gives a lot of comfort. I suspect other cordless tool systems have fans too. Ryobi also has one meant for garage walls, based on the same fan, but I think it's 110 only, not sure.

Here's a pic of the one I have and use a lot:

ryobi-fan-800.png

Can't do it with soft-sided tents, but I'm thinking of putting a small 12v vent fan in the hard top, too, which I'd wire along with a couple USB outlets in the tent for overnight charging of USB devices.

I've seen a guy who rigs a small 110 window AC for his ground tent when he camps in the Mississppi Delta region and power is available. More problematic, I suspect, to do it for an RTT.

I know another guy, out on Terlingua Ranch who made an effective swamp cooler to introduce cool damp air in his tiny home in the desert. Not effective in humid regions, though. If you want info on that, let me know and I'll find a link.

Most of the "Make Your Own AC!" deals I've seen made of 5gal buckets, water, small fan, and dryer vent hoses aren't very effective from what I hear. Fun project, though.

I'm interested in what others have done for cooling solutions, too.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I’ve seen a climate right being used and it seemed to be pretty nice, I’ve eyed them for a few years now. I personally use a 12v fantastic fan. I run this off my goal zeroyeti 400 and it works great. 0,1, 2, or 3 settings. This sucker moves a ton of air.

Reactions: ArkansasDon

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

been using the Might Kool 12v. a\c not all that great. Been looking at the endless breeze fan. Like the reviews & the low power consumption. My son & his family likes camping @ state parks were they have shore-line power & all the amenities. Lately I've been looking at these dog house a\c units by Climate Right. They push 2,500 BTU's have a some what low draw on amps 4.5 to 6.5 amp @ 110v. Their small enough to store & take on grid or off grid 19"x15"x15" @ 55lbs. all you would have to do is come up with a good ducting system. We pretty much stop camping in July when the humidity is unbearable in the south.

https://climateright.com/2500-btu-small-ac-and-heater.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim N Michele Davis

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

DSCN2241 (768x1024).jpg I have been kicking around the idea of getting a set of those small cooling cubes. (tear drop style trailer) If they work the way I think they will they won't draw much energy and pretty cheap. They just started advertising them on the TV (as seen on TV) something like $20 for a pair of them, They are like mini swamp coolers. I think that might be the ticket for my tear drop style camper.

I know that when we drive long trips we carrier a couple of these nifty had held spray fans for the drive and hiking, they fit in one of our water bottle slots in our backpacks. They are great when you are hiking the Arches or some other extreme temp hikes. (we fill them full of ice and a little water)

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Don,

When we got the Hiker, one of Deb's requirements was to get an AC unit for hot summer days where we have 110V available. We bought the ClimateRight CR5000ACH, the size larger than what you are considering. Hiker suggested that size due to it cycling less frequently in heater or AC mode. We bought direct from the manufacturer during one of their $100 off with free shipping offers.

https://climateright.com/climateright-5000-btu-a-c-heater-2.html

In our limited use in the driveway, it does both heating and cooling very well, and is pretty quiet when running. You could run extended hoses up to a RTT easily enough, and use it with your new trailer when it is finished.

The trailer also has the 12V Fantastic Vent, which moves a lot of air. I assume their free standing units works similarly.

Pappy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington NC.
Member #

We use 2 battery powered fans we got off amazon for around $25 they are two speed and have a LED light they have a built in hook we hang it on the top bar in the tent. So far it working good. But hot is just hot!!

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

We use a couple of Ironman tent fans. Bit expensive to buy 4 D cells but lasts ages and really like the yellow night light feature. Great for being able to find your tent in the pitch black and not attract a load of insects.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Shaggy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

US
Member #

I’ve seen a climate right being used and it seemed to be pretty nice, I’ve eyed them for a few years now. I personally use a 12v fantastic fan. I run this off my goal zeroyeti 400 and it works great. 0,1, 2, or 3 settings. This sucker moves a ton of air.

Cort,
I have the fantastic vent endless breeze but I've yet to use it. I'm still getting my rig set up and I'm worried about my Yeti 400 running too low since its already powering my ARB 50qt fridge. I've done a couple of trial runs and it looks like my cooler alone is using 30-50% of my capacity overnight. Am I correct in wanting to stay in the 50% range at a minimum? I look forward to your reply & thank you for your service.

Shag

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Cort,
I have the fantastic vent endless breeze but I've yet to use it. I'm still getting my rig set up and I'm worried about my Yeti 400 running too low since its already powering my ARB 50qt fridge. I've done a couple of trial runs and it looks like my cooler alone is using 30-50% of my capacity overnight. Am I correct in wanting to stay in the 50% range at a minimum? I look forward to your reply & thank you for your service.

Shag
Hey shag, sounds like you’re working on a cool rig. You can run your yeti down just above empty without damage, it’s actually healthy for the battery to get discharged, just not completely.

The fantastic fan uses 10 watts at the low setting, 21 watts at medium, and I can’t remember the high setting, it was less than 40 watts. I never use high.

You can also double the capacity of your yeti for $75 on Amazon by purchasing a battery, battery box, and battery cable with fuse and Anderson power pole connector to plug into the side of the yeti.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR

I have the same one. It works well. The Ryobi, which Road mentioned, is very good. My wife uses it for our dog crate.

Reactions: Cort

Shaggy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

US
Member #

Hey shag, sounds like you’re working on a cool rig. You can run your yeti down just above empty without damage, it’s actually healthy for the battery to get discharged, just not completely.

The fantastic fan uses 10 watts at the low setting, 21 watts at medium, and I can’t remember the high setting, it was less than 40 watts. I never use high.

You can also double the capacity of your yeti for $75 on Amazon by purchasing a battery, battery box, and battery cable with fuse and Anderson power pole connector to plug into the side of the yeti.
Thanks for the feedback Cort! I didn't want to get long winded yesterday so I didn't mention adding a battery is on my short list. I plan on running a dual battery set up but I have to figure out some stuff first and I wont have time before we head to OE. I'll keep you posted on my progress!

Reactions: Cort

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
Road

Thanks for the tip. I already had a Ryobi drill with 2 One+ lithium batteries, and checked Home Depot yesterday and low and behold they had the Ryobi fan on special. It came home with me :-)
Ryobi Fan.jpg