Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Everett, WA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Matthews
Member #

I am outfitting my FJ and am trying to save as much space as possible.

Has anyone tried cooking with a Joule or other boiler while on the road? Yes I know it's not a grill, and it does take a huge 1100w of power.

But pricing, quality and size are plusses. Just want to see if someone else has tried this and thoughts. Thanks!joule-sous-vide.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using OB Talk mobile app

antangil

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntsville, Alabama
Member #

I have a sous vide machine, but I don’t take it camping.

On its own, I think you’d be disappointed; stuff done in a sous vide come out cooked but in desperate need of finishing - for example, you might sous vide a steak to get it to 120 degrees, then sear it off at the end to get a good crust and some texture. Also - they can only heat water; it’s a bad idea to put them in soup or something, as the impeller will eat small ingredients, bind up, and die.

If you were serious about sous vide on the trail, I’d get an Engel MHD13F-DM. It can keep stuff cold, or warm it to a temperature of up to 120 degrees. Uses 12V, so not as tough for an overlanding setup. Still will need finishing, though. If I was going small, I’d get a Jetboil and a set of nesting backpacking cookware. Still plenty small, but way more useful overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FJTim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Everett, WA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Matthews
Member #

I have a sous vide machine, but I don’t take it camping.

On its own, I think you’d be disappointed; stuff done in a sous vide come out cooked but in desperate need of finishing - for example, you might sous vide a steak to get it to 120 degrees, then sear it off at the end to get a good crust and some texture. Also - they can only heat water; it’s a bad idea to put them in soup or something, as the impeller will eat small ingredients, bind up, and die.

If you were serious about sous vide on the trail, I’d get an Engel MHD13F-DM. It can keep stuff cold, or warm it to a temperature of up to 120 degrees. Uses 12V, so not as tough for an overlanding setup. Still will need finishing, though. If I was going small, I’d get a Jetboil and a set of nesting backpacking cookware. Still plenty small, but way more useful overall.

Thank you for the insight! That's what I had imagined, but just wanted to confirm. I've got a jetboil and a single campchef already.

I appreciate the review on sous vide as well, even home use!

antangil

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntsville, Alabama
Member #

Thank you for the insight! That's what I had imagined, but just wanted to confirm. I've got a jetboil and a single campchef already.

I appreciate the review on sous vide as well, even home use!

For home use, sous vide is pretty neat. I use mine a few times a month. I’m actually considering one of those Engels as an overland sous vide for steaks (put steak in baggie, put baggie in Engel, 4 hours later sear a perfect steak), but I’ve got a lot of room for extra stuff in my rig.

Enthusiast III

Thompson-Nicola Regional District, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Masters
Member #

For short trips I use my jetboil, I have the flash, and I also have the sumo cup which is perfect for making coffee and oatmeal in the morning. I also pack a cast iron skillet for cooking over the fire, you could also pack a grill to use over the fire, this only works when there isn’t a fire ban on.

Making breakfast while still warm in the back of the truck.

We ran out of propane on this trip and we finished the trip cooking over the camp fire and used the jetboil.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk