Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Any recommendations or opinions on a non Skottle cook stove?

-Hannah Carpenter, H&B Adventures OB#30662
There’s a good thread somewhere with pics of kitchens and cook boxes. Mine seems to change a little each trip. Depends on your tastes, cooking styles, and preferred prep time/effort levels.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I expect from your question that this is a cooker to throw into a truck. You don't specify much (i.e. what you are cooking, does weight matter, fuel type you prefer, use with pots or no?) but there are definitely some good stove threads here to check out. Since the skottle is both a stove and a pan you might need to be a bit more specific to narrow down the responses.

200LC

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Henderson, NV, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Hord
Member #

My Coleman Triton works great, fairly inexpensive compared to others, light weight burners are very strong. I've used this stove all over Utah, Nevada, Arizona and Cal never an issue. Definitely recommend and would buy again

Reactions: Desert Runner

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Coleman dual fuel. Why? We already carry extra gasoline. It is portable or not, ours is mounted in our rear deck kitchen. It is not overly pricey. It actually works, for a very long time. My first one was purchased in 1977 at a garage sale. My second one was purchased just 5 years ago and should last me for a very long time..

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
The Camp Chef line is also very affordable and versatile, if you like propane. I have an Explorer 2 burner. I have a griddle for it. It can handle everything from Coffey to a Crab boil, cast iron pots to sauté pans. Super simple, very durable. Lots of accessories: griddled, grill tops, pizza ovens, stock pots, etc. It’s my go to for family food prep.
If I’m camping solo or with only my beautiful wife, I will use the Coleman two or three burner. Possibly even more versatile and certainly longer in business than most other brands. I think my favorite is a 1947 model 425 two burner with a cast iron manifold. A folding Coleman camp oven that sits on it. I can make anything from bread to soufflé, eggs any way you like them to stuffed Cornish hen. You can pick up Coleman stoves anywhere that sells camping gear and the best deals at yard sales. I think I paid 10 bucks for that 1947.

D

danbrown

I started with the Camp Chef Everest 2. Great stove, but it’s pretty big. I now have a Jetboil Genesis, which takes up far less space, very fine flame adjustment, plenty of output, and it’s design allows for 2 fairly large pans/pots. It’s not cheap, but a great stove.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Cook Partner stove the best made stove around. I have been using stoves for 40 plus years. I picked up the Cook Partner after a camp chef had a critical failure day one of a 16 day trip. I have used and owned plenty of stove and despite the price I think they are the best for being able to control low heat, high heat. and craftsman ship of the stove it's self.

Mid State Overland

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Little Falls, Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Finch

I use the Camp Chef Rainier and carry a pot and castiron fry pan and can cook anything I have ever wanted. If you search it there is a new 2X out that the shape tucks the knobs and ignitor in so they are less pron to get broken or bent.