Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Of course I'll end up packing something for both of these, but which one do you find more essential for backcountry overland style camping? I have a $100 gift card from work to REI and would like to invest this into either the cook set or table. So which would you pick and why? Feel free to offer up brand/model suggests as well if you have something you really like.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

So I had a gift card also, and just for the heck of it, I picked this table up. Now I have several other larger tables, but this is the one I always endup using and bring with me. Its the last thing in the back and first thing out. It just works well.
upload_2018-3-3_22-38-52.png

Reactions: shoredreamer

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

So I had a gift card also, and just for the heck of it, I picked this table up. Now I have several other larger tables, but this is the one I always endup using and bring with me. Its the last thing in the back and first thing out. It just works well.
Thanks for the reply Gary. I actually checked out the smaller version of that same table, the 20, last night at REI. I was not really that impressed with it. Opening and closing it seemed like it involved a lot of flipping it around and one side of the legs did not want to lock very well. Maybe after doing it a few times it gets easier, but it just seemed too much for a smaller table that did not fold down any smaller than what it did.

My local store did have the Kingdom table on clearance and while it is much larger, it fits a space under my platform in the back of the Jeep perfectly. I went ahead and bought it since they only had a couple left and the discount was so good. I'll have to set it up a couple times today and see how that goes.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

Thanks for the reply Gary. I actually checked out the smaller version of that same table, the 20, last night at REI. I was not really that impressed with it. Opening and closing it seemed like it involved a lot of flipping it around and one side of the legs did not want to lock very well. Maybe after doing it a few times it gets easier, but it just seemed too much for a smaller table that did not fold down any smaller than what it did.

My local store did have the Kingdom table on clearance and while it is much larger, it fits a space under my platform in the back of the Jeep perfectly. I went ahead and bought it since they only had a couple left and the discount was so good. I'll have to set it up a couple times today and see how that goes.
Yeah I thgouht the same when I first tried it out in the store, but I had a gift card to burn and took a chance with it. It just took a bit of using and now it operates smoothly, and I know what how to use. I just saw that Kingdom table the other night and was thinking about getting another. That will work out fine and with the discount am sure you did well. Note on cookware, after years of trying everything I finally settled on tranditional ceramic coated steel. REI now has these in nice sets. I use the whole set, cup, dishes, knifes and forks. Been flawless. Enjoy...

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

We use a 4’ lifetime plastic folding table with adjustable height, $39, stored under the roof rack. We also have an MSR nested cookset for 4, and their kitchen utensil kit.

James

Reactions: TerryD

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

We use a 4’ lifetime plastic folding table with adjustable height, $39, stored under the roof rack. We also have an MSR nested cookset for 4, and their kitchen utensil kit.

James
I was looking at the Lifetime tables as well and wanted to try and mount one between the roof rack and the Jeep top, but there is not enough space between them. Maybe if I did not fold it in half it might fit, but then the large size becomes an issue.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

REI has Kingdom tables on sale right now for $60. They are great tables for that price. We have 2.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I have 2 of the Camp Chef Mountain Mesa series. I love these tables because of the sturdy construction of the aluminum roll top table, legs adjust table height from 27" - 39" for a 6ft 2" tall guy like myself. 48" long by 27" wide with carrying case. (photo was of the 2nd one I bought)
Cook set: GSI Blue Enamelware Sierra Camp, 2 Lodge cast iron skillets (1) 8" & (1) 9", 3 Oggi Melamine mixing bowls that store into each other.
008.JPG

Last edited:

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
We have one of the 4' Lifetime folding tables as well. We usually stay places that have picnic tables so we have not used it at camp yet, but I've set it up several times and fixed supper on my stove at home. It works pretty well and I'll looking forward to getting it out this year.

Our cook set is one of the modern Lodge 8" iron pans, a 750mL MSR pot, a MSR stainless cup and a selection of utensils. I just grabbed enough sets of the stainless mess sets from Wal-Mart, on sale, to cover the 5 of us and have a spare to drop in my solo box I keep in the Xterra. It all fits in a tote with things like seasonings, olive oil, baggies, and trash bags.