Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

After getting home from work I basically threw gear at the jeep until I though I had everything. Hut the road for about 4 hours and rolled into camp around 11pm. A few of my buddies had already set up camp so I found a patch of ground, threw the tent up quick and went to the fire to have a quick beer before bed.
(Absolutly nothing special about my tent on this trip. I packed light and fast )
View attachment 207126
The next day we mostly sat around camp and enjoyed the sun. But we did manage to get out and run some nearby sections of trail.View attachment 207127View attachment 207128View attachment 207129

My jeep is kinda cursed, there are never many pictures of it so this is about all I have lol. All in all it was a great weekend.
Looks like a good time! Nice, simple camp and some good wheelin'.

-TJ

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Looks like a good time! Nice, simple camp and some good wheelin'.

-TJ
I usually bring a hammock but I have had issues finding trees close enough together near the water before. I figured I'd bring the small tent this time but had some issues speaking in because it was all rock. I just need to get there first next time lol.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
OK I haven't posted on here in a while and figured I would throw up some updates. Nothing as I have had a lot of life changes and have been using my other vehicle more so it has been getting all of the attention.
297674886_438727838185457_8954640508526698187_n.jpg
I Haven't had it out as often as it should have been and it suffered some neglect in the maintenance schedule, but it has never let me down. I am working on a trailer to tow behind it, which means I wont need to plan out a roof rack anymore. I also haven't done any extra electrical for a dual battery... life has been busy.
what I did do was address some brake issues I had. Part from neglect, and part from trail damage. The brakes were worn and after getting stuck in a bog on one trip and a long under the mud doing a lot of damage to the underside around the rear axle (broke/bent both rear shocks, tore the rear locker wiring, had rocks stuck in the rocks under the mud so the rotor was grooved, bent a rim).
Unfortunately, not having the connections I used to have and the Transamericain Wholesale company being sold, and their product lines in limbo on what was going to be liquidated, parts were hard to find. I decided to change the entire system out to the Crown automotive big brake kit which allows me to replace future parts with Ram 1500 brake components. It also comes with a pretty beefy set of dual piston front calipers ( the ones found on most Ram 1500s).
20230212_135919[1].jpg
received_3491877204434478.jpeg
I will say these calipers are HUGE in comparison. Especially if you consider the original dinky TJ calipers that came on this thing.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
One thing i did notice was when I pulled wheel off the drivers rear... things didn't look right lol. The pins were bent somehow, assuming that they seized and the caliper folded them over ( while I was driving I thought i had a dead caliper).
20230318_131802.jpgIMG_20230318_163758_074.jpg
However with everything being swapped out anyway it wasn't a big deal and these new brakes look great.... I am hoping that the master cylinder won't have any issues with the upgrade....again these calipers are huge! Lol.
Screenshot_20230319-163749_Gallery.jpg
20230318_122023.jpg

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
One of my biggest complaints with my 04 TJ Rubicon was the size of the brakes. I had a late 90's Acura on the rack next to it. The pad and rotor on the Acura were bigger. I fixed my problem with bigger axles.

What's odd is the direction the pin bent. The force is up/down and yours bent back. Also the energy is not on the caliper due to the pads being mounted on the bracket. With the caliper being mostly inside the rim, the odds of you hitting something are slim.
That is definitely weird.

Reactions: Trail_pilot

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

That'll be a nice upgrade! When it comes to my WJ (with JK-based axles) I regret not doing a "big brake kit" and biting the bullet and buying 17" wheels before I bought all new tires for the current 16"s. It stops okay with the Z36 rotor/pads and all new JK brake parts (easiest COA with going to the JK axles, vs. keeping my WJ brakes which were pretty similar but arguably a bit better), but especially once the Hemi is done it could use a bit more.

-TJ

Reactions: Trail_pilot

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
As I feared, the master cylinder can't move enough fluid for the larger brakes. It will stop the jeep and lock up the tires but the pedal needs to be nearly pushed through the floor.
So after talking to a few friends and some people in the industry that I still have contact with. It seems a Ram 2500 master cylinder is on its way to my me. Turns out a friend of mine that lives a couple hours away just tore his steering out for full hydro and had all the parts I need sittingnin his garage and is willing to send them to me as long as I pay for the shipping. Awesome deal from an awesome friend! Lol

Reactions: Dougnuts and tjZ06