Gabriel
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N/A
Service Branch
US Air Force
I am hitting the Continental Divide (Entire US trail) beginning August 15th for 5 weeks and am looking for a couple like minded enthusiasts to go with. DM me if you are interested.

I’ll be camping each night and sleeping in RTT, cooking on the skottle, etc. Non-drinkers preferred.

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Damn 5 weeks! I am envious! good luck!

Reactions: Advtres

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I am hitting the Continental Divide (Entire US trail) beginning August 15th for 5 weeks and am looking for a couple like minded enthusiasts to go with. DM me if you are interested.

I’ll be camping each night and sleeping in RTT, cooking on the skottle, etc. Non-drinkers preferred.
Its an awesome trip, have a great time

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs

Might you be interested in another rig joining you in Montana for part of the trip? Crazy summer that should be calming down soon - its been too long since I have been to Montana and this sounds like a perfect excuse to get to Rogers Pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: OTH Overland

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
For those that have run this route could you pass along details to me (vehicle travel specific web sites, articles, GPX, etc)? I have searched the internet a bit and found what looks to be a hiking trail - I'd like to see the vehicle route to get a feel for where it runs and how close to spots that I am familiar with. I cut my overlanding teeth in Montana decades ago following old-timers who knew that great state inside and out. The prospect of doing the CDR is very exciting to me and I am really interested in any overlaps that it has with areas that I have been to previously. Thanks!

Looks like this route is known in the adventure motorcycle world? Hence the R for "ride" at the end of the CDR acronym?
Is this what I am looking for? Old gpsKevin Site - Great Continental Divide Ride

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
For those that have run this route could you pass along details to me (vehicle travel specific web sites, articles, GPX, etc)? I have searched the internet a bit and found what looks to be a hiking trail - I'd like to see the vehicle route to get a feel for where it runs and how close to spots that I am familiar with. I cut my overlanding teeth in Montana decades ago following old-timers who knew that great state inside and out. The prospect of doing the CDR is very exciting to me and I am really interested in any overlaps that it has with areas that I have been to previously. Thanks!

Looks like this route is known in the adventure motorcycle world? Hence the R for "ride" at the end of the CDR acronym?
Is this what I am looking for? Old gpsKevin Site - Great Continental Divide Ride
The track we did last year is on OB1. I will also leave it here.

Attachments

• Love

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

See DM

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
My route was essentially the same as Kent's except for the Colorado portion. I went from Chama to the four corners and met up with 4 motos and a Jeeper and did the Colorado BDR instead of the CDR. The both end up north of Steamboat so I rejoined the CDR there.

• Love

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
FYI,

• Love

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Did you see I put the track above?
Yes sir, grabbed the track that you kindly attached and will take a look at it in OB1 as well. Could not contain myself and watched the video you linked - fantastic! That is my kind of adventure! The entire track is definitely on the bucket list and am anxious to compare it with my travels to see what parts I may have already unknowingly done. Great video and I think what I got out of it was the distribution of jobs - that is a great idea. Thanks for your efforts towards making this epic adventure available!

JCross

Rank II

Contributor III

Decatur, AL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Cross
Member #

Ubiety, I am looking to do the New Mexico section of the CDT myself and was wondering if you have read anything about permits and or passes for crossing national parks an forest?

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Ubiety, I am looking to do the New Mexico section of the CDT myself and was wondering if you have read anything about permits and or passes for crossing national parks an forest?
I have not, never heard anything back from @journeydestination so this remains bucket listed. Am considering heading to MT in Sept and may hit part of the trail where it crosses the places that I am thinking of going. In my early looking into it after finding this thread I found some adventure motorcycle sites that talked about the route - they might be a good resource for finding out what permits one would need. Unfortunately a lot of states have their own permits so it could be quite a mess. Perhaps @Kent R could enlighten as he has done this route before.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
No permits required for any portion of the CDT

Reactions: velo47 and Ubiety

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
The only place that's not on free public roads (on my route anyway) was where the route crosses Grand Teton National Park. You either need a national park pass or have to pay to enter the park at the gate.

Reactions: Kent R and Ubiety

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
The only place that's not on free public roads (on my route anyway) was where the route crosses Grand Teton National Park. You either need a national park pass or have to pay to enter the park at the gate.
Yep you need to pay the entrance fee if you don’t have a pass.