Wanted Considering buying a rig or builder

• HTML tutorial

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

So my wife and I keep going back and forth on building the Suburban up or buying a new rig altogether.

So that said, I'm checking to see what is out there. Who's got something for sale that would be a decent platform to build off of? This will end up being my daily driver as well as our off-road overlander. Don't need extreme rock crawling capabilities, but want to be able to get most places. Needs a towing capacity of at least 4000 lbs.

Budget is around $7k-$9k, but could exceed to $11k for the PERFECT vehicle.

Let me know!

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@OBiE0311
So my wife and I keep going back and forth on building the Suburban up or buying a new rig altogether.
So that said, I'm checking to see what is out there. ...
I forgot to turn off my Craigslist search after I bought my 4runner. Here are some options not far from you that should fit the bill:

Toyota 4Runner Sport V8 AWD 2" lift - $6000 (Denver) This build is already started for you. V8 so the 4k towing should not be a problem. Needs timing belt replaced (~$400-$500 at a dealership IIRC)
https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/toyota-4runner-sport-v8-awd-2/6485246987.html

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser *Price Reduced* - $6995 Another v8
https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/1999-toyota-land-cruiser/6498569175.html

Toyota Landcruiser - $6500 Another v8 Land cruiser and in your back yard!
https://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/d/toyota-landcruiser/6496814756.html

2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited heated seats, 4x4 - $6999 V8 so the 4k towing should not be a problem.
https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/2004-toyota-4runner-limited/6499167348.html

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser - $6500 (NW Denver) (NOT Triple Locked! and not sure about the tow rating for this truck, my 97 3.6l Tacoma is not fond of towing 3k lbs in the mountians.)
https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/1997-toyota-land-cruiser/6499159952.html

2001 Tundra 4wh auto with camper shell - $6000 Another v8, fullsize pickup buildable but not as much aftermarket support as above.
https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-tundra-4wh-auto-with/6498906313.html

Probably Lots of Chevy's, Fords, and Jeeps, that meet your stated requirements as well but they were not in my searches.

Good luck with the search!
Boort

Reactions: OBiE0311

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Thanks for that! Several of those I’ve seen. I’ve really been leaning towards Land Cruisers, but I’ll admit it’s tough to shell out $6500+ for a car with 265k miles on it. What are your thoughts on that?

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@OBiE0311
Thanks for that! Several of those I’ve seen. I’ve really been leaning towards Land Cruisers, but I’ll admit it’s tough to shell out $6500+ for a car with 265k miles on it. What are your thoughts on that?
My 97 Tacoma has 317k+ on her now and is still my daily driver. I was planning on building her into a more robust overland truck but a couple of things got in the way of that.
1) I wanted to have the option to have more than 1 friend along for the ride.
2) Finding upgrades for a 97 single cab Tacoma was difficult. Very few options for sliders (even fewer bolt on), bumpers, and the suspension is just odd enough that it's difficult to do right.
3) The 3.6l v6 with 317k on the clock did not like towing my 3k lbs trailer here in the mountains. It's fine on the flats when I picked it up down in Longmont but a couple of long steep hills made it apparent that it would not be a fun tow vehicle to the locations I wanted to go.

The 265k would not concern me much on a Toyota with a detailed service history available. I'd take it to a Toyota shop that I trusted and have it looked over if they give it the thumbs up go for it.

Some additional thoughts on the LC links I gave you:
The 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser for $6995 with 234k miles:
I drove a friends 99LC last summer, over to Capitol Reef and all around the park, It was a supercharged v6 with similar shocks and tires to this truck. Great truck. We'd removed the 3rd row and the 40 side from the 2nd row seats to fit 3 photographers each with full camping and photo gear. Aftermarket roof rack was a big+ here with this much gear.
* The K&N Cold Air Intake System concerns me. These if not properly installed and maintained can allow lots of dust into the engine.
* Old Man Emu shocks - the default upgrade and good on rough roads and the hwy.
* Find out how much of the work was done by Slee (Window sticker) These guys know these trucks The more work they did the more comfortable I'd feel with the mileage.
* The cracks in the gauge cluster peak my interest an would prompt questions.​

The Toyota Landcruiser for $6500 in Colorado Springs with 293k miles:
Not much info in the listing. Looks to be a basically stock truck.
* 907 mi in 2000 likely a dealer test drive car for the first year of it's life. Might have some sought after stock options. Check for locking Diffs (look for more than the switch! some folks have been known to install the switch so folks think the Diff locker is installed.)
* They say they have it's history, ask to see it. Get the Vin and log on to https://www.toyota.com/owners/parts-service/history# to see any work done by a dealership or owner who logged their 3rd party work (rare)
If you are interested in a Land Cruiser head over to RedLine (http://redlinelandcruisers.com) and talk to them. See what they charge for a truck inspection for any you find in the Springs.
If you find some in the Denver Area you'll need to come up during the week but get in contact with Slee and see what they charge to do a pre-purchase inspection for any Denver Area LC's.

All that said I paid more than you listed as your upper limit for my 2006 4Runner last month mostly because it was low miles with a good service history and likely never off road.

Are you planning to go to the Front Range Overland MeetUp today? ( https://www.overlandbound.com/event/february-front-range-overland-meetup/ ) I'm planning to be there for the first hour or so talking with others about trucks places etc... If you do come look me up. There should be a good variation in the types of rigs and owners to talk to.

Boort

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Thanks for your replies man! I hadn’t heard of redline Cruisers- I will have to check them out!

I wasn’t at the meetup today. My wife and I are in Moab doing some easy offroading, and while the Suburban is performing, it’s really not happy after the first Trail. We’re going to try another loop tomorrow and see what happens, but I think we’re both thinking it may be time to upgrade...

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@OBiE0311

Thanks for your replies man! I hadn’t heard of redline Cruisers- I will have to check them out!
I wasn’t at the meetup today. My wife and I are in Moab doing some easy offroading, and while the Suburban is performing, it’s really not happy after the first Trail. We’re going to try another loop tomorrow and see what happens, but I think we’re both thinking it may be time to upgrade...
You're welcome. Happy to pass on what I've learned while digging into this for the last few months.

Moab's a blast. Have fun and keep an eye on the weather. Earlier I heard windy tomorrow with possible Snow moving in late Sun into Mon.

The folks at the meet up today were talking about a getting together for a 3 day kokopelli trail run soon. Keep an eye on the Rally Point board for details.

Boort

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

So, I found a 94 land cruiser that just rocked my socks off. Well maintained, super clean engine and interior, good price. I really want to buy it...

That said, there are two small niggles...

1) there is rust on the body. The car spent 94-2015 in Indiana, so that is almost certainly from road salt
2)there is one accident reported in 2006. I assume that if it was severe it would have totaled the vehicle, but you know what they say about assuming...

So, I want feedback on this. I’m first in line and the guy is waiting for my response before he goes to someone else. Do I pull the trigger based on it’s great service history and current condition, or do I try and convince him to let me do a vehicle purchase inspection from redline before selling to someone else?

I’m really excited, but I don’t want to make a bad decision . Help!

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@OBiE0311
1) there is rust on the body. The car spent 94-2015 in Indiana, so that is almost certainly from road salt
2)there is one accident reported in 2006. I assume that if it was severe it would have totaled the vehicle, but you know what they say about assuming...

So, I want feedback on this. I’m first in line and the guy is waiting for my response before he goes to someone else. Do I pull the trigger based on it’s great service history and current condition, or do I try and convince him to let me do a vehicle purchase inspection from redline before selling to someone else?
I have no appreciable skills with body work so I can't speak much to it. Rust can be a problem depending on where it is and how far it has progressed. The folks at Redline do full body off restorations so they should be able to give you an idea of how serious the problem is and likely the cost to address it. Unlike the Classic FJ40's I'm not aware of anyone making mass produced rust repair body panels for the fzj80's yet.

On the accident report it could be something small. Do a title search on the VIN and see if the title is normal or if it was issued a salvage title. For Me Salvage == Stay away. I want a reliable rig not something with who knows what done to it.

IANAL! so take the next for what it is worth... My play would be to see if he will let you take it to "your mechanic" for an inspection at your expense. (I'd likely put some hold money down, say $500, contingent on inspection.) I'd not mention Redline, let him know that you are a GM guy and would feel better having someone who knows Toyotas give it a look. See if he mentions them. This was the form used by the seller when I bought my popup camper. ( https://rvinspection.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/RVIC-RV-Purchase-Agreement.pdf ) Seemed fair enough for both sides at the time.

If he refuses to let you get it inspected then I'd consider there to be a problem that he knows about and rather that he'd pass it on to the next guy in line who might be still be starey eyed about finding a 94 80 series.

Boort

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Awesome! Thanks! I think I’ll definitely see if he’s cool with the inspection. Honestly the title is clean, so I’m not worried about the accident so as long as the frame is straight I’m good there. The rust is what concerns me as I have plans to ride this thing another 500K miles

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

So the guy had no problem with the inspection idea and the tuck was dropped off at Redline today for an inspection first thing tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it all goes well! I love the truck...

I appreciate all of your help Boort!

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@OBiE0311

That is great news! Glad to hear it worked out. Nice looking truck. I look forward to seeing how you guys make it yours!

Boort

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nice!! congrats I've been doing my research and and definitely lean towards the FJ80. Can't wait to see your build progress.
Thanks man! Part of the draw to these trucks (to me) is that their engine/ drivetrain layout actually makes sense, so I feel like for minor repairs and stuff I could actually work on it. I probably would’ve preferred the V8 in the 100 series, but I (in my own opinion) prefer the way the 80 looks. My plan is to baby this one until the engine explodes and then do a diesel conversion.

RangeWarriorIncOverland

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lynwood, CA
Member #

Thanks man! Part of the draw to these trucks (to me) is that their engine/ drivetrain layout actually makes sense, so I feel like for minor repairs and stuff I could actually work on it. I probably would’ve preferred the V8 in the 100 series, but I (in my own opinion) prefer the way the 80 looks. My plan is to baby this one until the engine explodes and then do a diesel conversion.
Yeah, same reason I've been looking at them also. I've also been looking into 1st gen Sequoia's the aftermarket support isn't there, but the one the flip side i've seen several really cool builds . I'm hoping to find a FJ or Sequoia around 4-6k in decent shape, throw another 1K into it to fix any issues or basic mods and call it a day.

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Yeah, same reason I've been looking at them also. I've also been looking into 1st gen Sequoia's the aftermarket support isn't there, but the one the flip side i've seen several really cool builds . I'm hoping to find a FJ or Sequoia around 4-6k in decent shape, throw another 1K into it to fix any issues or basic mods and call it a day.
Hopefully you’ll have better luck in CA than I did in CO with regards to budget! Around here you can’t really get into a cruiser that hasn’t been totally trashed for less than 6K. I paid 8 for mine and I felt I was lucky to get it for that due to its service history and over all condition.

RangeWarriorIncOverland

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lynwood, CA
Member #

Hopefully you’ll have better luck in CA than I did in CO with regards to budget! Around here you can’t really get into a cruiser that hasn’t been totally trashed for less than 6K. I paid 8 for mine and I felt I was lucky to get it for that due to its service history and over all condition.
I've seen a few out there already, I'll know i'll probably have to expand my budget a little to get something is decent condition, but hopefully it all works out and I can find something that at least runs decent. Anyway, good luck on your new build!!! Keep us up to date with your progress.