Advocate I

Canberra ACT, Australia
First Name
Jarrad
Last Name
Horne
Member #

Hi All,
I currently have a thunder compressor in the tray however due to its size I am removing it over the weekend. Would like to know the OB community take on option A TJM and option B ARB single tank.
Happy to get ideas on other brands, only real requirement is small form factor and can bolt in to the tray. I don't really have a need for attached air tank option or the ability to shift massive volume of air, I don't mind waiting while the tyres are inflated (I use an Indeflate 2 hose) plus it gives me a chance to check tred and once over the vehicle.

Cheers

Reactions: MazeVX

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi,

Had a VIAIR 400P for some years. First portable and then - because I did not like to unpack and pack the thing everytime I need it - i fitted it permanetly. Never had to complain, good gear. It is still in service with a friend of mine.

Now I run a ARB CKMA12 which came with the lockers anyway. The compressor supplies the front and rear lockers with air. In addition I have installed two standard workshop air supplies, a 2.5 gallons/ 9.5 liter air pressure tank and a mechanical manometer. Run the ARB CKMA12 since approx. 5 years now. Reliable and comparable small in size. Fits in my seat box.

I can recommend both of them.

Bjoern

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Hi,

Had a VIAIR 400P for some years. First portable and then - because I did not like to unpack and pack the thing everytime I need it - i fitted it permanetly. Never had to complain, good gear. It is still in service with a friend of mine.

Now I run a ARB CKMA12 which came with the lockers anyway. The compressor supplies the front and rear lockers with air. In addition I have installed two standard workshop air supplies, a 2.5 gallons/ 9.5 liter air pressure tank and a mechanical manometer. Run the ARB CKMA12 since approx. 5 years now. Reliable and comparable small in size. Fits in my seat box.

I can recommend both of them.

Bjoern
Where did you install the tanks, in your seat box? Please explain? Thank you.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi,

The compressor lives in the seat box. The air tank is installed on the passenger side directly next to the frame and somewhat protected behind the front frame outrigger. This way it was also possible to get to existing hose ways without making them much longer.

I have described the complete installation here in detail in the DIY subforum:

Have a look and contact me if you have more questions. I am happy to help.

Bjoern

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Great, thank you!

Hi,

The compressor lives in the seat box. The air tank is installed on the passenger side directly next to the frame and somewhat protected behind the front frame outrigger. This way it was also possible to get to existing hose ways without making them much longer.

I have described the complete installation here in detail in the DIY subforum:

Have a look and contact me if you have more questions. I am happy to help.

Bjoern