PegLegVet

Rank II

Advocate I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Kohlwes
Hello everyone. Actual name is Jeremy. Retired Army, spent some time in federal law enforcement as an analyst, and now working primarily remote for Wells Fargo.

Rig: I don't actually have one yet unless you count my Pacifica. However I have had my heart set on a Ram Power Wagon.
Experience: Completely new to overlanding the way you all do it. However, I was Army Infantry for 13 years so I have some similar experiences. Of course, I was driving either a HMMWV or a Bradley Fighting Vehicle.

My big reason for joining is to have somewhere I can ask for advice as I plan out my setup. I have a tendency to go down rabbit holes that sometimes lead to dead ends. Case in point, I was looking at hard sided truck bed campers. Yesterday I realized that most likely won't work if I want to go with a Power Wagon because of the super low payload weight.

I am very much interested in the whole idea of overlanding. Although maybe not quite as much as I did in the Army. However, I have realized I don't want to be limited to developed campgrounds. I want to be able to go places like Big Bend State Park where I can really get away from everything. I have friends with some big 5th wheel campers, and they post about going "camping" but they are just at a KOA style campground. And there's nothing wrong with that, I just know that's not what I want. I want to go places where the only lights are the stars and the moon.

To hit the wave tops of what I am shooting for, I am looking at creating a pseudo-modular setup. I'd like to have a truck bed camper and then a small trailer like the Intech Flyer Discover. This way I have options depending on the trip. If it's just my two sons and I, maybe we just take the camper or just the trailer. Whole family, we take both. And then when we get to where we want to go, we can set up a base camp and use the vehicle to explore the surrounding area. I'm certainly not set on this route though. I recently looked at the Imperial Outdoors XR22 and realized with that I may not need to do the bed camper at all (or maybe just a topper), which would make the Power Wagon much more viable. The crucial thing for me is I do need a toy hauler. I ride motorcycles as well and definitely want to take one with me sometimes.

Thank you all. I look forward to learning from you and hopefully meeting somewhere down the road (or more likely off of it).

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Jeremy, welcome to Overland Bound, the Ram is a great platform and will take you far. Lots of great ideas and helpful folks on this site.

Reactions: Todd S.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello everyone. Actual name is Jeremy. Retired Army, spent some time in federal law enforcement as an analyst, and now working primarily remote for Wells Fargo.

Rig: I don't actually have one yet unless you count my Pacifica. However I have had my heart set on a Ram Power Wagon.
Experience: Completely new to overlanding the way you all do it. However, I was Army Infantry for 13 years so I have some similar experiences. Of course, I was driving either a HMMWV or a Bradley Fighting Vehicle.

My big reason for joining is to have somewhere I can ask for advice as I plan out my setup. I have a tendency to go down rabbit holes that sometimes lead to dead ends. Case in point, I was looking at hard sided truck bed campers. Yesterday I realized that most likely won't work if I want to go with a Power Wagon because of the super low payload weight.

I am very much interested in the whole idea of overlanding. Although maybe not quite as much as I did in the Army. However, I have realized I don't want to be limited to developed campgrounds. I want to be able to go places like Big Bend State Park where I can really get away from everything. I have friends with some big 5th wheel campers, and they post about going "camping" but they are just at a KOA style campground. And there's nothing wrong with that, I just know that's not what I want. I want to go places where the only lights are the stars and the moon.

To hit the wave tops of what I am shooting for, I am looking at creating a pseudo-modular setup. I'd like to have a truck bed camper and then a small trailer like the Intech Flyer Discover. This way I have options depending on the trip. If it's just my two sons and I, maybe we just take the camper or just the trailer. Whole family, we take both. And then when we get to where we want to go, we can set up a base camp and use the vehicle to explore the surrounding area. I'm certainly not set on this route though. I recently looked at the Imperial Outdoors XR22 and realized with that I may not need to do the bed camper at all (or maybe just a topper), which would make the Power Wagon much more viable. The crucial thing for me is I do need a toy hauler. I ride motorcycles as well and definitely want to take one with me sometimes.

Thank you all. I look forward to learning from you and hopefully meeting somewhere down the road (or more likely off of it).
Welcome to Overland Bound Jeremy
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups. There is a local meet up near you.
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Some great local contacts are; in Texas @Roots66 & @Coreymol
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo https://www.OverlandExpo.com
Here is a Midwest expo in MO MOORE OVERLANDING AND OFF-ROAD EXPO // APRIL 21-22, 2023 // OZARK EMPIRE FAIRGROUNDS – SPRINGFIELD, MO
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF

Hello Jeremy (@PegLegVe), welcome to Overland Bound and thank you for your service. I am one of your Southwest Region Member Rep for Texas. The other is Corey (@Coreymol).

There is a San Antonio meetup here: San Antonio Monthly Meetup - Eisenhauer Park

South Central Texas has this meetup: Rigs and Coffee - South Central Texas

The one we attend for North Central Texas is in Georgetown: Recurring - North Central Texas Meet & Greet

Local information and involvement opportunities can be found here: Southwest Region (AZ/NM/TX/OK)

Looking to meet fellow members? Check out the Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups

Events in the SW region can be found here: Overland Bound Events SW Region

Want to know what members are planning? You can find out here: Overland Trip Planning

If you have any questions, please just let me know.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I see you going down that rabbit hole of overthinking, please don't take it as negative, just have lesser plan of what you want and do more of camping. You will see very quickly what you really need and want. I know just going into the blue can be a massive challenge for many people including me but I got more relaxed about solving problems like missing items and unexpected weather.

Besides that, happy welcome to Overland Bound!

Reactions: PegLegVet

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Welcome to OB! Most of us started out exactly where you are.

Out of curiosity, if you're looking at a full size ram already, I'm curious why not consider bumping up to a 2500? This would solve the payload issue with the 1500, and it's not really any bigger. You can fit a ram 2500 anywhere you can fit a 1500.

One thing I always tell people is whatever rig you end up with, leave it stock for a while, and learn where it's weak points are before modifying it. You don't need a 4 Inch lift and 35s to do forest service roads.

Find a good vehicle specific forum for your rig, and learn what it's weak points are (every vehicle has them), and address those before modifying things.

For example, my primary overland vehicle is a 2003 Nissan Xterra. The weak points for that vehicle is the oem idler arm, center link, and thin tie rods. These were the first modifications I did to the vehicle (except the tie center link. It's easy to replace, and the upgraded ones require firther modifications).

I still haven't lifted more than cranking the torsion bars a bit, as I haven't felt that I really need to, and I've visited some very remote locations, via some very gnarly roads.

Figure out what is the bare minimum you need for gear, make sure that's covered, and expand from there.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Howdy from north Texas.

We’ve got a few levels of camping gear including ground tents with cots, a truck bed tent, and a home made camper. Our little camper has easily gone through Devil’s River state natural area and some very rough roads from west Texas to Alabama.

The truck bed camper will probably work for you. My parents often take horses or a gear trailer with kayaks. They don’t do hard core off roading with the truck, because that’s what the horses and kayaks are for. If that’s the route you are likely to go, step up to the 2500/3500 SRW rams.

Attachments

Last edited:

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

Boerne, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army

Hello! and welcome to the group! Im in the Boerne area (San Antonio) let us know if you need anything!

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army

Welcome to the Overland Bound Community. Glad to have you join us.