Complete and total Kayak Noob. What do I get?

• HTML tutorial

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

So, I have been wanting to get a kayak for several years now and I just have not pulled the trigger yet. I moved to an area that there are quite a few small lakes with access to non-motorized boats. While there are also rivers, I don't want to do river Kayaking.
My budget is $200-400 and this will be one of those plastic Walmart/Dicks/Cabelas type Kayaks. But I also see inflatable ones, anything wrong with those?
I have seen that there are both sit on, and sit in styles.
For a casual 1-2 hour paddle around a local lake, what should I be looking at? I will also haul it with me on trips sometimes if I know there will be a lake on the route.
Can anyone school me on what I should be looking for?

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Longer is better. For smashing about, a sit on model is fine.

Rocks and crashing requires heavy rotomolded construction.

For real performance, an Epic surf ski is where it's at. They even have a rotomolded version. But I doubt it's as tough as a cheapy.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I bought a pair of 10' Ascend kayaks at Bass Pro and have been happy with them. They are both sit in kayaks. I wish I'd bought one sit in for my wife and a sit on for me as I think it would be better for fishing. They're a bit heavy at 55 lbs. each but still easy to lug around. One thing I like is that the seats are removable and are nice for sitting in (down low) on a beach.

18-06-23 2.JPG

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

At this moment I have no plans to do any river runs. The lakes/big ponds I plan to run around are clean and no rocks and branches. However, I see that the roto molded would be sturdier.

I'm just not sure if there is any reason to go sit in vs. sit on. I know longer is better for stability, shorter are better for fast maneuvering in rivers. So, I'm thinking 10ft.

I am thankful for any advice I can get.

Commish1999

Rank VII
Launch Member

Inventor III

Youngstown, OH, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Conner
Member #

Service Branch
USMC

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I bought these in 2021. They are incredibly sturdy, stable and a great price. I often fish off mine.

We mainly paddle in big lakes and ponds. We even took them to Newfoundland and paddled in several Fjords and the Gulf of Saint Lawrence...

We've done several rivers but they can create logistical problems, but some canoe liveries will transport personal boats.

View attachment 237208View attachment 237210View attachment 237211View attachment 237212View attachment 237213
OK, 11ft sit-on. I like that and the price is about where I want to be. Seems like a perfect Kayak for my needs. Thank you.

JakeHalloran

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger II

Chehalis, WA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Halloran
Member #

For what it's worth, me and my wife bought Dicks Sporting Goods plastic sit in kayaks, 10ft. Model is the Pelican Mustang 100x. We do exactly as you do, haul them to local small lakes for a couple hours paddle. I think they were $400 on sale for $300. We love them. They really take a beating on rocky beaches or logs hiding in the water.

Weight capacity and interior leg room is a big deal for me. I weigh 275lbs, 6ft3in. A lot of the cheaper kayaks are rated for 200-250lbs, and the Dicks kayaks are rated at 300lbs. Even though I'm pushing the limit, I still feel stable in ours, even with some snacks and water bottles on board. They're maybe 45lbs each. Easy to put on our roof rack with two people, and easy to tie down.

Attachments

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Simple is better at first but a few accessories aren't bad. Try a simple 10 foot Perception sit-in. I think the new ones have a dry well in back and may have small fishing rod holders. Or a 9.5 Swifty.

That should get you going.

Personally I have a Swifty and a Wilderness Systems 10 foot Pamlico but I don't think they make that exact model any more.

Don't forget a good way to mount on your vehicle. If you have a truck with rack, that problem is solved. If not, I find the J- mount types easiest. Get good ratchet straps. Get a life vest, a paddle ( doesn't have to be expensive) some Teva type sport sandals or water shoes, a hat of some sort (I use a brimmed Australian Bush hat) and pack a lunch, bring a couple Nalgenes of water and get going. Pay attention to any currents. Get a dry case for your cell phone

Have a nice time

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
If you have a Sam's or Costco membership check there, they usually have very good deals on them there.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I quickly learned a sit ON kayak was not going work work here in Kansas due to wind creating waves that come over the bow of the yak.

I bought a couple of Ascend D10 sit IN yaks just like @PCO6 for my wife and I. They are a great size, closed bow, durable as all get out and comfortable. It works to keep most white caps out of the boat, but after a few miles of main body lake water in 25mph wind I am glad to have a bilge onboard!
1666724097953.png

I have a buddy who recently got a yak that he loves. It's a 12' Pelican he bought from the local sporting goods store.
1666724268779.jpeg

Both boats work well on the river and lake. I know @oldmopars indicated only wanting to do paddle small lakes, but once you start the paddling journey you will want more variety as your skills and comfort level improve.