Weatherford, TX
First Name
John
Last Name
O'Dell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
Ok so I've bought all this recovery gear.

>A 6kLB come along, its basically a stand in until I can get an actual winch and a bumper
>2 50ft pieces of 20k winch line, figured it was just like using a tow rope but longer and takes up less space.
>a 16 ft 6600lb chain

I do need another pulley to be on the safe side.

Heres the problem, the come along only has 6ft worth of reach and I fear that may very well not be far enough to get me out of whatever I'm in. Is there a way to reset this thing or something so I go another 6 ft?

I also considered replacing the steel cable with some synthetic winch cable to make the whole thing lighter as well as get more reach but I can't find anything on youtube about people doing it so idk if thats a thing.

Attachments

Thewheelman

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor III

Weatherford, TX
First Name
John
Last Name
O'Dell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
So far all I've got is making a series of doubled over loops like this one along at least one rope every 5.5 ft and 2 right near the end of the other rope, one loop to winch on and another to connect a short chain(?) to as a reset point.

Example pictured because I don't think I explained that well at all. Just imagine the chain is only like a foot and half long.

Attachments

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

It can be reset with chain fairly easily on flat ground, on an incline not so much.
If your wanting to be able to reset fast and safe you'd need a min of 2 comealongs, you pull one to max then connect the 2nd one and continue pull then keep leap frogging them till you out of the obstacle.

Thewheelman

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor III

Weatherford, TX
First Name
John
Last Name
O'Dell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
I'm afraid I might end having to do that. I'd rather stick with one come along and add rope/chain as necessary but idk.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I think your gonna find that 6k comealong to be near useless though for pulling that f250 out of anything but a flat front yard. I have bent or broken quite a few of those on a lot lighter vehicle. Something that isn't talked about is those are only good for maybe 4 pulls at the max capacity before they become useless.

Thewheelman

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor III

Weatherford, TX
First Name
John
Last Name
O'Dell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
I intend to add another pulley to lessen the strain on it but I really hope I don't need it.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Check out some hilift videos on youtube. They use a section of short chain to lock the truck in place, while the hilift jack is reset. Would that work with your setup?

A hilift gets a 10,000# truck out easy enough. We're usually hardly stuck. Just found a super soft spot and sunk in when the tire dug.

Thewheelman

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor III

Weatherford, TX
First Name
John
Last Name
O'Dell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
Check out some hilift videos on youtube. They use a section of short chain to lock the truck in place, while the hilift jack is reset. Would that work with your setup?

A hilift gets a 10,000# truck out easy enough. We're usually hardly stuck. Just found a super soft spot and sunk in when the tire dug.
I'm starting to think thats what I'm going to do. The only reason I didn't buy one in the first place is because I wanted something a little compact as dont yet have a real place to mount it.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I chopped up a couple ratchet straps and secured it under the rear seat.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Hi-Lift has a ORK for winching with the jack, you need to have 20' of G80 chain. You can do something similar with a come a long. It's slow but works.