Enthusiast I

Hixson, TN
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Kleiner
Member #

Hello everyone!
I’m going to spend 2 weeks in Colorado next month in August with a friend. We are really wanting to visit all 4 NPs and try to stay off road in between them as much as possible. For those of you who know Colorado we are trying to find campsites that are trail side but also as near to high alpine lakes or rivers as possible. We are not all that familiar with BLM rules (we’re from the East) but any locations, tips or info would be greatly appreciated! I’m beginning to think BLM land isn’t like in the movies where you drive out wherever you feel like, set up camp and shoot 50cal rifles at targets lol. Maybe someone can clarify the rules as far as Colorado goes? We do already understand the fire ban principles and have bought propane fire pits that are burn ban permitted.
Thanks!

K12

Rank VII

Pathfinder I

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
BLM is generally pretty simple. You can camp just about anywhere unless it is posted otherwise, BUT you cannot make your own trail/path etc. There are a lot of campsites and areas along the trail that are quite obvious. If it looks questionable its probably not a campsite, most will have a rock fire rings. You can stay in a single spot for no more than 14 days in a 90 day period (which I dont think will be an issue for you) Other than that its all normal things, pack in pack out, leave it better than you found it, respect the trails/sites so others can use them too.

Reactions: raptor510

JOERYNO

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Arizona
Member #

For campsites near high alpine lakes or rivers, you might want to check out places like Brainard Lake Recreation Area or the East Portal Campground near the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Both offer beautiful scenery and are relatively close to trailheads.

As for BLM land in Colorado, you're right, it’s not quite like the free-for-all you might imagine. BLM lands do have specific rules, especially regarding camping and shooting, so it’s a good idea to check local regulations and guidelines before you go.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Not specific to Colorado but my method is to search google maps in the area I am looking to explore. Scroll in to get details and then look at the satellite view to see what else it looks like. Streams show as blue lines. Looking at other maps can give additional info on terrain, etc. I am presently planning trip for August. Found some new spots to explore in addition to some old favorites. I generally look at National Forests and BLM. Parks don't offer the same dispersed camping opportunities.

Colorado seemed a bit tougher to find dispersed camping near water than say Wyoming. Just found some sweet looking spots in southern WY near Encampment. WY is a lot easier with less restrictions seems to me. That's just my limited take.