Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Merryville La
First Name
Caleb
Last Name
Blackmon
Member #

I’m going to Colorado in the end of September. And I’m looking for places that is a must see. And I also would like to know is there anything that is a don’t do while I’m there other then the normal basic stuff while overlanding. I’ve heard they are getting pretty strict on a lot of stuff up there.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I was planning to go there beginning of Oct, but found out a lot of the trails are closed.
Unfortunate.

We're going to north CA instead, maybe hit up the Rubicon trail.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
my favorite part of colorado is durango to montrose. hwy 550 is amazing and there a good bit of offroad trails that branch off of it. engineer's pass, etc. last time i went i took brother-in-law (they are cajun from the swamps) and showed them mesa verde cliff dwellings south of durango. really cool to see and the driving around there is very scenic. then there is the steam train in durango that goes to silverton, that is definitely a great experience. there is boondocking i know for sure outside of silverton as well as some offroad trails. oury has some really cool hot springs to soak in and the town is really unique and scenic to see. there is the black canyon outside of gunnison that is definitely worth seeing. you can go to ridgeway (just south of montrose on hwy550) and hang a left and head southwest to telluride which is a cool resort town and from there head west and its pretty close to the utah border and there are arches and offroad trails right there. i'd say to get a colorado map, specifically a southwest colorado map and really check out the area from durango north. i lived in colorado springs back in the 70s and step-daughter is living in denver and although east of the rockies is nice...i really like the west side, especially southwest. i know around silverton, there are trails and abandoned mines and stuff like that. some of the offroad is clearly marked for high clearance vehicles and 4x4. some are a bit rough, but definitely worth going on. durango also has some amazing dispensaries...:grinning:

Reactions: Gorunhannah

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Silverton one of the best mining museums we have ever been to. Trails around Silverton are awesome, all are on the app map. Drurango for the Durrango Silverton Narow Guage Railroad. Creede, great mining history and some really good dispersed camping, Batchelor Loop trail, great history and views.

I could go on and on, my best advise is to just go and explore. In late September you will catch some fall color also.