Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

Hey all! A few of my biker friends are heading out to do the Colorado BDR next month and have asked me to go along as their support vehicle. I have a 2018 TRD Off Road (KDSS) pretty much stock. No sliders (and nothing available on the market on short notice, as far as I can tell), winch or other protection. Nitto G2 Terra Grapplers, recovery kit and strap, rack. Will probably get a set of MaxTrax or equivalents and an air compressor kit. I have off-road experience, just haven't gotten out much lately. Wondering how much of an adventure I'm getting myself into... ;-) This will be around the last week of August.

What do you think? What else might I need?

Thanks!

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I have NOT done the whole route, but most of it from what I have ridden, and what else I know about is not overly difficult. Hagerman Pass might be one of the "harder" sections.

However, 4 wheels are slower than two when off road, so as you do a bit more research, keep in mind that you can leap frog sections to meet them farther down the line if needed. If you've driven off road a fair amount and are good at picking lines through sections that will help. Weather will also impact difficulty, ie, if it is rainy it will be VERY different! Have fun, it's beautiful country!

Reactions: cgranier

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

I have NOT done the whole route, but most of it from what I have ridden, and what else I know about is not overly difficult. Hagerman Pass might be one of the "harder" sections.

However, 4 wheels are slower than two when off road, so as you do a bit more research, keep in mind that you can leap frog sections to meet them farther down the line if needed. If you've driven off road a fair amount and are good at picking lines through sections that will help. Weather will also impact difficulty, ie, if it is rainy it will be VERY different! Have fun, it's beautiful country!
Thanks. Yes, I've been thinking about the speed and any differences with the bikes. The route has 3 or 4 different options for most sections, so we might have to look into that.

I did a local run (North Georgia) and pace was about 10mph on an easy Forest Road. So I'm looking closer at the BDR routes right now. Daily runs are over 100 miles, but I don't know yet how much is trail and how much is road.

Anyway, excited to try this, even if I have to take some shortcuts to keep up.

Thanks for your input.

Reactions: zgfiredude

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
You Tube is your friend here, lots of ride/drive reports.....good luck. When is the trip?

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
My wife and I will be out and about around Ouray, Telluride, Silverton, Lake City, Buena Vista that same week Jeepin' about and me showing her the places I've been on two wheels that I want to share with her. Holler when you nail down a plan, and if our paths cross we can share a beer.

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

My wife and I will be out and about around Ouray, Telluride, Silverton, Lake City, Buena Vista that same week Jeepin' about and me showing her the places I've been on two wheels that I want to share with her. Holler when you nail down a plan, and if our paths cross we can share a beer.
Would love to. I'll let you know once our plans are set.

Reactions: zgfiredude

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Hey all! A few of my biker friends are heading out to do the Colorado BDR next month and have asked me to go along as their support vehicle. I have a 2018 TRD Off Road (KDSS) pretty much stock. No sliders (and nothing available on the market on short notice, as far as I can tell), winch or other protection. Nitto G2 Terra Grapplers, recovery kit and strap, rack. Will probably get a set of MaxTrax or equivalents and an air compressor kit. I have off-road experience, just haven't gotten out much lately. Wondering how much of an adventure I'm getting myself into... ;-) This will be around the last week of August.

Thanks!
Do you have some links about the route so that I can take a look at the trails?

Anyway a TRDOR with AT tires most likely won't be any issue. The stock skid plates will be enough, just watch your tires placement!

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

Thanks!
Do you have some links about the route so that I can take a look at the trails?

Anyway a TRDOR with AT tires most likely won't be any issue. The stock skid plates will be enough, just watch your tires placement!
Thanks! This is the current track (let me know if you need GAIA tracks):

"Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route (COBDR) Map & Information" Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route (COBDR) Map & Information

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

Thanks! This is the current track (let me know if you need GAIA tracks):

"Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route (COBDR) Map & Information" Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route (COBDR) Map & Information
Thanks. You will be totally fine with your setup and gear. I would go ahead and get the recovery boards (just in case) and for sure a compressor (not 12v) so that you can air up/down easily.

Enjoy!

Thanks! Do you have any recommendations for a compressor? I've seen good reviews here for Viair, but also upvotes for anything from Harbor Freight to ARB, so big $ range there.

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Thanks! Do you have any recommendations for a compressor? I've seen good reviews here for Viair, but also upvotes for anything from Harbor Freight to ARB, so big $ range there.
Can't go wrong with ARB single/dual but are expensive and hard to get at the moment.
I have a Viair 300p and no issues with it. 400 is even better.
I have seen people also use Smittybilt, Dobinsons, Ironman 4x4.

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

Can't go wrong with ARB single/dual but are expensive and hard to get at the moment.
I have a Viair 300p and no issues with it. 400 is even better.
I have seen people also use Smittybilt, Dobinsons, Ironman 4x4.
Thanks again. I'll see what's available and within budget ;-)

Reactions: trail_runn4r

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

Thanks. You will be totally fine with your setup and gear. I would go ahead and get the recovery boards (just in case) and for sure a compressor (not 12v) so that you can air up/down easily.

Enjoy!
One last question... you mentioned "not 12v" about the compressor. Aren't these all 12v that you clamp to the battery?

EDIT: I see VIAIR has a 24V version: https://amzn.to/3zHvvUX

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Sorry I meant not the ones that you plug to the 12v port in your car, clamping/hardwire to the battery is the way to go.
Aha... I thought that's what you meant. Awesome. Thanks again for your patience and information.
No worries, what dates are you guys running it?