DeSoto County, Mississippi, United States
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I commented in your trip planning thread, my buddy isn't positive about making it out next month so it looks like i'll be tagging along with you guys.
Awesome!! That’s great news! If you want to you can pm me your number so we can keep in touch over the next few weeks leading up to the trip.

Reactions: Hyland33

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Awesome!! That’s great news! If you want to you can pm me your number so we can keep in touch over the next few weeks leading up to the trip.
Please share the link to the aforementioned trip planning thread.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
It’s called Colorado trip over in trip planning. Not sure how to link them together
Since your event has passed from the planning stage into the Rally Point stage, I would suggest concentrating all your correspondence in this Rally Point thread for all new interested parties to see.

Whatever you choose, you can just copy the url for the thread and paste it into the other forum. If you want to keep the other thread going, you might paste that link into the description of the Rally Point. As it is, I had no idea you had another thread until it was recently mentioned. I suppose that explains why I was wondering about your route, etc.

ovrlnd_escape

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Since your event has passed from the planning stage into the Rally Point stage, I would suggest concentrating all your correspondence in this Rally Point thread for all new interested parties to see.

Whatever you choose, you can just copy the url for the thread and paste it into the other forum. If you want to keep the other thread going, you might paste that link into the description of the Rally Point. As it is, I had no idea you had another thread until it was recently mentioned. I suppose that explains why I was wondering about your route, etc.
Absolutely I’ll do just that. Thanks for the info for sure.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Alright folks, we are 3 weeks away from the start of the trip. I now have 3 confirmed going and have plenty room for more. It’s time to say yes to adventure and meeting and making new friends!!
Do you have any more of an itinerary and route that you could share?

ovrlnd_escape

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Alright folks, we are 3 weeks away from the start of the trip. I now have 3 confirmed going and have plenty room for more. It’s time to say yes to adventure and meeting and making new friends!!
I could but, when I lead these things I don’t share the route or itinerary. However 2weeks before the trip I do send a list to anyone confirmed going what extra items they may need for the trip. The point of it is to let everyone else just relax and enjoy the trip with having to map responsibilities. Just ride and enjoy!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I could but, when I lead these things I don’t share the route or itinerary. However 2weeks before the trip I do send a list to anyone confirmed going what extra items they may need for the trip. The point of it is to let everyone else just relax and enjoy the trip with having to map responsibilities. Just ride and enjoy!
I get where you're coming from and commend you for it.

However, for someone like myself that was looking to join you for a few days as you passed through, it makes it impossible to schedule time off work, etc.

ovrlnd_escape

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I get where you're coming from and commend you for it.

However, for someone like myself that was looking to join you for a few days as you passed through, it makes it impossible to schedule time off work, etc.
That makes perfect sense. What area would you like to join in and I’ll look at what day I think we can be in that area.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
That makes perfect sense. What area would you like to join in and I’ll look at what day I think we can be in that area.
Thanks for your understanding.

I'm actually in camp at the moment just about to lead a group of 15 up Tin Cup Pass. I'll get back with you in a couple days, but for now I think my biggest question was what areas did you think you'd go through from Trinidad to Telluride?

Reactions: Aeroscout

Hyland33

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Leicester, MA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Hyland
Member #

I’m going to have to back out now :confused:. I may be landing a new job and can’t afford to be halfway across the country.

Ahmed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Houston, TX, USA
Member #

Hi Kep01,
Interested to know more about this trip, we live in Houston, Tx, we're a family of 5, 3 kids, and a puppy. New to overlanding in the US, as I'm an Expat here. Curious to know also about how hot would it be out there for camping. We drive a 4x4 2018 Armada with all train tyres, no lift.
Thanks

ovrlnd_escape

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Hi Kep01,
Interested to know more about this trip, we live in Houston, Tx, we're a family of 5, 3 kids, and a puppy. New to overlanding in the US, as I'm an Expat here. Curious to know also about how hot would it be out there for camping. We drive a 4x4 2018 Armada with all train tyres, no lift.
Thanks
Hello and welcome to OB. The temps most of the time are not all that bad when camping in the mountains. We have camped in Moab a few times in crazy heat but when the sun goes down it isn’t too bad. As for your vehicle being stock I’m not sure you would be able to traverse the trails we would go through. But I’m sure we can work around that. Every day is a different day on the trail that’s the beauty of it. On a stock vehicle expect some pinstripes on the paint and possible body damage. Keep that in mind

Reactions: Ahmed

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hello and welcome to OB. The temps most of the time are not all that bad when camping in the mountains. We have camped in Moab a few times in crazy heat but when the sun goes down it isn’t too bad. As for your vehicle being stock I’m not sure you would be able to traverse the trails we would go through. But I’m sure we can work around that. Every day is a different day on the trail that’s the beauty of it. On a stock vehicle expect some pinstripes on the paint and possible body damage. Keep that in mind
What trails are you thinking of that might be too difficult for a stocker.?

I've done nearly all the famous trails around Ouray and Telluride in a stock full sized Chevy. Airing down and disconnecting sway bars makes a huge difference.

ovrlnd_escape

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
What trails are you thinking of that might be too difficult for a stocker.?

I've done nearly all the famous trails around Ouray and Telluride in a stock full sized Chevy. Airing down and disconnecting sway bars makes a huge difference.
Actually some of the mountain passes between Trinidad and telluride would be a bit tough in a stock Nissan Armada. They tend to sit low to the ground with little clearance. Made more for highway comfort.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Actually some of the mountain passes between Trinidad and telluride would be a bit tough in a stock Nissan Armada. They tend to sit low to the ground with little clearance. Made more for highway comfort.
According to online sources, the Armada has an inch more minimum clearance than my stock Avalanche. I've made multiple trips over Imogene, Cinnamon, Engineer, Stony, Corkscrew, California, Hurricane and Ophir Passes.

Ahmed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Houston, TX, USA
Member #

Thanks a lot, if the trip setup permits and you think there will be alternative less demanding routes that I can take and join for the easier ones, I'would still be interested to join, if not, I totally understand and I'll join future ones that suits my vehicle or after I do some mods. :)