Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Treadwell
Member #

Does anyone have experience with the Coleman Powerchill electric cooler? It's essentially a fridge but significantly cheaper than the ARB fridge. From what I can find though, the reviews are pretty mixed. Anyone used it before? Would you recommend it over the ARB fridge?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Apples and bricks. They are not the same thing. The Coleman "cools" things. Very limited. The ARB and other brands (Indel, Dometic, Engle, National Luna, SnoMaster, etc) are real refrigerators/freezers.

From Coleman: "More than a cooler, but not quite a refrigerator, it cools up to 40 °F below the surrounding temperature without any ice. So if you use your cooler in an environment where the temperature is 70 °F, this cooler will maintain an internal temperature around 30 °F."

https://www.coleman.com/powerchill-40-quart-thermoelectric-cooler/3000001497.html

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

it cools up to 40 °F below the surrounding temperature without any ice. So if you use your cooler in an environment where the temperature is 70 °F, this cooler will maintain an internal temperature around 30 °F."
Exactly! And if your vehicle's interior is 140° on a sunny day in the south, then the inside of the chiller will be 100°. I'm not positive, but I think the chiller uses significantly more power than a good fridge/freezer, too.

Anywaythere

Rank 0

Contributor I

If I’m not mistaken the Coleman Powerchill uses thermoelectric cooling based on the Peltier effect. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_effect

Basically, by applying a voltage across 2 joined conductors it causes heat to be transferred from one side to the other. The limitation is that if the surrounding temperature is high (like in a vehicle), you’d be trying to pump heat to an already hot conductor. That’s why they always say “up to X degree below ambient temperature.” The other drawback is that it uses quite a bit of energy to achieve this effect, but I’m not sure how it compares against an actual fridge like the ARB.

Peltier chips can also be found in those desk top USB drink cooler/warmers.

Reactions: HoneyBadgerXJ

HoneyBadgerXJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Treadwell
Member #

Thanks for the feedback guys. It seems an actual fridge will be the better option. I had a friend trying to convince me to get the powerchill because it's cheaper, if it won't stand up against the heat then no thanks lol.

Reactions: Steve

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

As others have said - there is no comparison. I have an ARB 50qt and it was one of the best purchases I made for camping and traveling to remote places. I knew one person who had a PowerChill, but his use was very different, he traveled a lot for work and wanted something in the car to keep drinks and sandwiches cold without buying ice everywhere, then threw stuff in the hotel fridge overnight. It was a good inexpensive option for his use, but not suitable for overlanding.

Reactions: HoneyBadgerXJ

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
There is no comparison in the two in function or price. If you want something that will work if you know what your expecting. the powerchill will work. I use one with great success. There is some preperation compared to the ARB style but you can effectively use them. Theres a few tricks to them, but the best thing about them is they are 90 bucks from walmart on sale and do work. Just don't expect them to perform like an arb.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I have refrigerator like this from Ebay, mine is branded Costway and it's a great fridge, I've used mine several times now with great success.