Kris
Last Name
Sss
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7YI
Service Branch
Firefighter/EMT
Well the long winter has been running me down and I needed to get out. With the NFS maps downloaded I headed out for a solo day trip. I had 2 goals, recharge my batteries to get excited about the coming season and to make 4,000' elevation. I had a side bet with a buddy that told me with the record snow fall this winter that I would not make it much past 3,000. He was close to right, it was a fair bit of work to get the old Rover to hit the 4k threshold just past Mason Saddle. With the elevation continuing to rise and the snow to deepen on the shaded corners I decided to turn back before making the next milestone at Marie Saddel. The snow is soft and the crust is intermitant making forward progress real wotk. There was steady wind all afternoon so I skipped my picnic lunch and started my way back, taking the longest way back I could find. In the end this was nothing stellar as far as trips go but it was sure nice to be outside for a few hours.
One commentary on back country travel today. On my way down the hill I was passed by no less than 6 people headed up the hill. Around a corner I found an older gentlemen that had hopelessly stuck his full size dodge off the side of the road. I stopped and asked if the last people had offered assistance. He shook his head and sheepishly kept digging. Later he said they just hardly glanced over as they powered by. How could you ever leave a 75 year-old man alone in the woods with an unprepared truck helplessly buried? Shameful. After a little digging and a strap I had him out, maybe a 15 minute process. Who can't spare a few minutes?20180421_190805.jpg 20180421_190927.jpg 20180421_191044.jpg 20180421_120147.jpg 20180421_120219.jpg