Rank V

Builder I

Orangevale, Sacramento County, California, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Watt
Member #

We’ve had this trailer for a year now. I did a lot of modifications myself including Timbren 4” lift 1 tonne independent suspension, original suspension was horrible offroad. Made a ladder and tire carrier, custom extendable tongue so I can jack knife this thing, lock and roll hitch , fenders, step side sliders, and solar.
This trailer in its original state probably wouldn’t have held up long with off-road use. The short tongue made it difficult to make sharp turns. It was to low for many obstacles. Probably would have been fine as a on road use only trailer, it did pull nice in its original state.
We purchased this trailer for a smoking good deal hence why we bought it and modified to work for our needs.

Attachments

Reactions: PCO6

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

@Watt_iron - We have one too. We bought it for a couple of reasons. I thought it would be good to carry our kayaks on and we liked that we can stand up in it. I knew it has limitations and really wasn't built for off roading. We use it mainly to get us and our stuff to Provincial parks which we use as a base and head out to explore from with our Jeep tow vehicles.

The frames are "OK" and the axles and springs are what they are (2,000 lb. Dexters with 9" brakes). I like what you did! Our is a 2019 which I think is the first year. Yours appears to the V-PKG off road model which came out a year later. By the time it did, I had already made a number of the mods that Coachmen came out with.

I like the concept of the trailer but my main problem is with the build quality of the cabin. I originally thought if we liked it after a few years I'd build a stronger replica. We do but I decided to build a square back tear drop instead and am half way through that now. My wife prefers the TD 9.0 so we'll keep both.

One of the first things I did was rip off the terrible stickers which included a Dalmatian dog! I see you did too. I also removed the fridge and AC as we didn't use them. It saved 72 lbs. and added some interior storage.

Here are a few pics of ours ...

The kayaks don't touch the lid ...
21-07-05 2.JPG20-08-12 2a.jpg19-06-29 1.JPG

The water tank has been replaced with a second propane tank to power the water heater and provide a back up to the main one ...
19-06-20 1.JPG

I added a 2" receiver for the kayak t-bar or bike rack and stiffened the frame when I did it ...
19-06-02 5.JPG

The kayak t-bar comes out when we are at camp and parts of it are used to mount the water heater ...
DSC_0180.JPG

The spare tire is tucked under the tongue ...
19-06-20 3.JPGDSC_0197.JPG

Last edited: