• HTML tutorial

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
This does not bode well:

Moab closed to visitors

I have reservations in place for May. Not new reservations. But I am betting this means they are cancelled.

And what better way to achieve social distancing?

What do these people smoke?

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

This does not bode well:

Moab closed to visitors

I have reservations in place for May. Not new reservations. But I am betting this means they are cancelled.

And what better way to achieve social distancing?

What do these people smoke?
I dont think its what they smoke more like it is in the water. It will be interesting to see if my usual jaunts in the ouachita nf is closed, id guess not since there arent many gates. Im sure the visitor center and the area around the lake where you can park rv is closed though.
It may be nice to give the trails some time off so they can settle.

Reactions: Downs and Road

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
You can still pull in and park, I believe. It's been a few weeks since I've been there. I don't think they are gated.

Just no workers to clean the rest rooms or cook food. Which makes perfect sense. You can still use the woods. Lolz.

Reactions: Road

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

PA closed rest areas denying truckers who need DOT mandated rest . These are the people moving critical supplies across the country.

Many of these decisions are based solely on stupidity.
Thats gonna cause alot of delays on critical supplies. likely if they do stop it will be on the side of a highway causing traffic jams and wrecks. This whole thing is screwy to me.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I had some friends in the State Park in Illinois and they got kicked out.

All by themselves but they were kicked out for safety reasons.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I can see state and national park areas being concerned about their staff becoming exposed from visitors.

Impossible to keep crowds under ten in visitor's centers and public bathrooms, etc, and you can't just close all that if the parks stay open. Some places are concerned about the potential of being overrun if everyone heads to the hills or desert to camp and social distance themselves from the madness.

Worries are that some places will end up like they did during the govt shutdown, overrun with ill-prepared campers and inconsiderate tourists, carrying lord knows what illness and leaving trash everywhere and abusing restrooms that have no toilet paper.

During the govt shutdown last Jan I was cleaning and restocking the restrooms on Padre INS myself out of my own pocket, 'cause the beach was still open and folks were using up and stealing all the toilet paper and paper towels.

pins-tpaper_1654-900.jpg

Worries exist too, that there may be an increase in folks heading to public lands to dump stuff if their local landfill, waste removal, etc is understaffed or not open/running as much. Who knows . . .folks are so freaked about everything, even the water supply though there is no evidence to date that you need worry about the water.

My point is that is states are deciding to close their parks, it's not being done only as a way to control people's live or freedom. It's done more out of concern FOR people's lives.

Don't contribute to the madness by voicing unfounded claims and theories. THAT is what is fueling the paranoia.

Stay safe, stay clean, be positive.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I get it. Living in Lubbock we just had our first confirmed case yesterday. Someone who visited another community, caught it and brought it back with them. We are 5 hours from the next largest city (ALBQ) and it for the most part is business as usual here except schools are making changes (TTU 2 week spring break turned into closed campus) and businesses are utilizing CDC social distancing. New winery a block from my house took 1.5 years to finally open in a historical building. Two weeks later and they are using CDC guidelines but can not afford to not be open.

However, I see the issue with Moab and for us, we were going to Terlingua this weekend. Both are asking no visitors of any kind. The problem I have with that is that both communities rely on bigger cities for everything. Tools, lumber, supplies, groceries, UPS/Fed Ex, etc. They can visit us business as usual but not the other way around? I won't be going to Terlingua again anytime soon. They can suck it. My future tourist dollars will go to places not telling others to go F themselves and are using common sense, not fear mongering as a means of dealing with this.

All of this does make me pause, but it is business as usual for me and my wife. Wing Out Wednesday at the Brewery LBK is still on tonight!

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I had a trip planned out west for May. I cancelled it. We had an event - outdoors for this weekend. It's cancelled. And a beach camping trip in NY- cancelled.

Reactions: WAYAWAY

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Yeah, for me, mid-sixties (tho spend way more time than not camping and outdoors), I'm considered more at risk. Now they're saying folks my age should not go anywhere and just stay home, underlying conditions or not.

I've already been getting looks and stares from others when I go to the grocery or even go for a walk with my kid and the dog. Folks making a wide berth around me like I must certainly be more contagious than they are just because I'm older.

As much of an infohound as I am, I bet anything I am far more clean and conscientious of spread and flattening the curve than the majority of folks.

Such strange times.

Stay safe, stay clean, be positive!

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Yeah, for me, mid-sixties (tho spend way more time than not camping and outdoors), I'm considered more at risk. Now they're saying folks my age should not go anywhere and just stay home, underlying conditions or not.

I've already been getting looks and stares from others when I go to the grocery or even go for a walk with my kid and the dog. Folks making a wide berth around me like I must certainly be more contagious than they are just because I'm older.

As much of an infohound as I am, I bet anything I am far more clean and conscientious of spread and flattening the curve than the majority of folks.

Such strange times.

Stay safe, stay clean, be positive!

Same. I'm 39 but a type 1 diabetic. I was playing it off as I'm indestructible until last night. There's a 39 yr old in a hospital near me on a respirator and they aren't sure if he's going to make it. I don't typically buy into this stuff but that's a but further than I'd like to go. However, my truck has never been cleaner!

SteveC-Pro4X

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Havertown, PA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Coscia
Member #

Desert Hills, Arizona looks like a good place to get away from it all. I'm in Kingman Arizona today - heading south to Desert Hills in a few hours.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I can see state and national park areas being concerned about their staff becoming exposed from visitors.

Impossible to keep crowds under ten in visitor's centers and public bathrooms, etc, and you can't just close all that if the parks stay open. Some places are concerned about the potential of being overrun if everyone heads to the hills or desert to camp and social distance themselves from the madness.

Worries are that some places will end up like they did during the govt shutdown, overrun with ill-prepared campers and inconsiderate tourists, carrying lord knows what illness and leaving trash everywhere and abusing restrooms that have no toilet paper.

During the govt shutdown last Jan I was cleaning and restocking the restrooms on Padre INS myself out of my own pocket, 'cause the beach was still open and folks were using up and stealing all the toilet paper and paper towels.

View attachment 145010

Worries exist too, that there may be an increase in folks heading to public lands to dump stuff if their local landfill, waste removal, etc is understaffed or not open/running as much. Who knows . . .folks are so freaked about everything, even the water supply though there is no evidence to date that you need worry about the water.

My point is that is states are deciding to close their parks, it's not being done only as a way to control people's live or freedom. It's done more out of concern FOR people's lives.

Don't contribute to the madness by voicing unfounded claims and theories. THAT is what is fueling the paranoia.

Stay safe, stay clean, be positive.

Well said, sir ... Completely agree with your last statement, "Don't contribute to the madness by voicing unfounded claims and theories. THAT is what is fueling the paranoia."

I'm not necessarily happy about all of these sudden closures and restrictions, but I do understand why governments are doing these things.

Reactions: Road

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

My biggest issue in all of this is the fact that we as a species have been reduced to the most common denominator of stupid. X group of people are not bright enough to know NOT to congregate on a hiking path in groups of 40 (photo on Zion NP IG account) and our govt and its supporting agents force the rest of us to comply. Lemming madness is not fueled by paranoia or fear, but by people with absolutely no critical thinking skills or common sense which leads to "what if" thinking and its related anxieties. I read in another thread here about the potential for escalating violence and mongering due to being sheltered in place for too long. Yes. If the federal govt and its agencies continue treating this as a nanny state, the assholes will shine through and there will be those who take advantage of others. Why do you think there has been a massive spike in gun and ammo purchases?

I digress.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
One of my buddies is incharge of the maintenance crews for a large school district. ALL of the teachers and staff are instructed to stay home. They have gone through all the classrooms and buildings sprayed and disinfected . He called me yesterday to tell me that at several of the schools the teachers are back working in their classrooms, the office staff was there and everyone brought their kids. The people are socializing and the kids are running around playing.

Not wanting to be part of the stupidity, he pulled all his crews. The staff is now complaining that they want all the buildings disinfected again so they can be safe. They claim its their right to be there and no one is enforcing the stay home ban in his schools.

Crap like this is why this is going to take longer than necessary.

Reactions: cdavis90

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I am sure government officials are aware of how popular all the apocalypse fiction got in the early 2000s. As was mentioned above, Im sure they are are just trying to minimize the "bug out" crowd, if for nothing else but the practicality of keeping the parks clean.

Reactions: DevilDodge