Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Jones Jr
Member #

I'm curious everyone's here method on taking care of cleaning your cooking Ware. Be more conscious of environment using materials that is environmentally friendly is becoming the standard these days. I was also wondering what cleaning product to use to take care of your stainless steel and cast iron cookware the last part of my question is what is your method for clean down and getting out those tough stains and baked or cooked on food that kinds of stays there after a few trips.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Our process is to first attempt to minimize how much gets dirty during any given meal. We collect all these items in a plastic dish tub.

When it is time to do the dishes any remaining solid food is scraped off or wiped up with a paper towel and put in the garbage or fire (if we have one).
Then we heat a small amount of water over the stove an add biodegradable camp soap. Once the water is almost too hot to touch we use a scrub brush to clean the dishes, rinse them using minimal water, and put them to dry on a net under our camp table. One key is to wash things in order of clean to dirty to keep the soapy water clean for as long as possible, so usually scraped plates (little residue) first and and anything with raw meat or eggs last.

Stainless steel can be tricky if it gets really dirty. I carry a non-stick pan for things like eggs, and we make sure to not burn items in the stainless pans so that they can be cleaned with a scraper and water. If anything did burn on we have Bar Keepers friend at home.

At the end of the season I run everything through our dishwasher.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Plastic scrubbing cloth, very hot water, minimal soap. I use a military style wash basin, as a wash up area.
If I can have a fire I have a small pit beside the fire with a tin can in it for waste water. I just let the water boil off and collect the can. In very sensitive area's I use a old milk jug and lug it home or dump at a sani dump if possible.

Reactions: Mikeblack

ChambersFamily

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Plains, OR, USA
First Name
Marshall
Last Name
Chambers
Member #

I'm curious everyone's here method on taking care of cleaning your cooking Ware. Be more conscious of environment using materials that is environmentally friendly is becoming the standard these days. I was also wondering what cleaning product to use to take care of your stainless steel and cast iron cookware the last part of my question is what is your method for clean down and getting out those tough stains and baked or cooked on food that kinds of stays there after a few trips.
I heat up my cast iron griddle after cooking and add water. Boil off all the stuck on pieces and scrub lightly with a brush. I got a wash tub on amazon that pops down into a cutting board. Works soooo good for cleaning other things. - Courtney

Last edited:

Aequitas1916

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
Like slomatt said - bio-degradable camp soap (I use Coghlans) and Bar Keepers Friend once home for stainless steel.

I keep a squirt top bottle with soapy water handy. Good for washing hands or dishes in a small pop-up sink. I think the bottle also helps me use less water, since I can see it getting emptier. I keep things pretty minimal, using as few dishes as necessary, so I don't need to make clean up a big production. I usually have a cup or two max of grey water to dispose of when I'm done. When I grow up, I want to become a better camp cook. Then clean up will be more involved.

Reactions: Mikeblack

Enthusiast III

South Dayton, NY, USA
First Name
Ronald
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Service Branch
USMC 85'-89'
Bio safe soap for washing, for cleaning my cast iron I use hot water and a piece of chainmail I found on amazon. It works great at getting the stuck foods out and is what they recommend for cast iron.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Good topic! I use a hand pump with a sink sprayer attached. I scrape all waste in a bag and and wash in plastic tubs. I then boil water in a large pan and everything gets dipped or rinsed. I have a non stick fry pan and the rest is stainless, plates are Melmac. Waste water is dumped in the firering if there is one or a sump dump away from camp. When I get home everything gets hand washed and put back for the next trip.

Enthusiast II

Aylmer, ON, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Krauter
Service Branch
Canadian Army
We only use Cast Iron to cook when out. ( Most of it gotten at flea markets and yard sales)
1x Large Pan, 1x Griddle/Grill Plate, 1x Flat top pan that I use as a lid for the Large pan, 1x Dutch oven that is also used as a pot when needed
To reduce the need for cookware dishes we try to cook all we can at home before the trip and vacuum seal most of it so it is done more like Boil a Bag meals. This has reduced our cook a cleaning time huge as that is really just a pot of water boiled.
Everything else really depends to the seasoning of the pan. If WELL seasoned it can be wiped down. If very dirty it gets washed in the hot water after the plates and mugs are done.
Everything gets a full cleaning once home and re-seasoned if needed. The large pan is going on 2 years without the need to re-season and it is used at least 2-3 times per week.

The water used for wash is put in a large jerry can and either dumped at a RV Dump station or at home in the shop sink