Rank IV

Enthusiast III

California, St. Mary's County, Maryland, United States
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Trombley
Member #

Alright y’all. I’m generally new to Overlanding, and up to this point, I’ve mostly camped at reserved campsites at national and state forests. I’d like to try some of the primitive campsites along some of the more remote trails, as that obviously opens up a whole lot of opportunities for trails.
My question is: how does one claim a site? Can you stake a claim on a site you see along a trail at any time in the day? If so, how? Or do folks just explore a trail and backtrack at the end of the day and hope to find an open site before nightfall?
Apologies if I’m overthinking it. Just don’t want to get caught without a site (a lot of the USNFs won’t let you camp just anywhere) and without a plan.
Thanks for the guidance, fam!

Reactions: Rambo1619

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Figuring the rules for camping wherever, is certainly the most tedious aspect of overlanding.

It's location specific IME. FL is first come first served.

My local sites are so rarely used that I've skipped the proper check in procedure multiple times during the off season.

Reactions: Mr_Mnml_Engnr

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Essentially yes. A dispersed campsite, at least in CA, is first come first serve. If you see a spot but keep exploring, it could potentially be taken by anyone else. usually not a problem if you're far enough away from others but it could happen. That said, almost any spot in BLM/NF land can be a dispersed site as long as you are something like 10' off the road. it helps to have a couple of spots in mind of where you might stay before you go out.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

To claim a site in the west or Baja I leave a couple of things set up. putting a couple chairs folded up where you plan to camp might look like they were forgotten. A couple of chairs setup with a table or a tent set up looks like you are coming back. You want it to looked occupied not stuff left behind.

DangitDad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Wyoming
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Veltkamp
Member #

FCFS in Wyoming. The crummy thing is that a lot of people will park their campers in one place for the season, "claiming" that spot when they shouldn't. They need to move every 2 weeks but as far as I can tell, it's not enforced. I lost use to an awesome site to that bullshit. Tried to go back a few times and there was always a camper there.

Just don't be that guy!

slowcarfast

Rank I

Contributor III

Sunshine State
First Name
James
Last Name
Barber
In terms of when people show up, it can be very location and season dependent. Are you arriving on a Friday or a Tuesday? Is it a popular area? Where are you in the country? In my limited experience, often a lot of availability in the Eastern US especially off season, or if you arrive ahead of the weekend crowd. In general earlier in the day will be better. Colorado front range on a summer weekend? Buckle up cause it's gonna be crazy busy!

slowcarfast

Rank I

Contributor III

Sunshine State
First Name
James
Last Name
Barber
And one other note, not having a site can be a little nerve wracking, especially with the family, but it helps to make it part of the adventure! I did two weeks with my family in Colorado and Wyoming in summer 2020 when EVERYONE was outside camping and demand was as high as I've ever seen it. I often had a couple options close together identified and once or twice it was a little dicey, having to go a little ways down a forest service road to find a spot, but it also includes discovering one of two of my all time favorite campsites. And that was in a fwd SUV towing a pop up which really limited how far I could go in a lot of places. Bottom line, just get out and try it, I think you'll gain confidence quick and it result in unique and beautiful experiences!

Last edited:
Reactions: DangitDad

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

It can help to scout out an area on GoooooooooooooogleEarth before you go. Just be aware that if you plan on setting out a table or chairs/ tent, make it something you don't mind getting stolen.

• Sad
Reactions: Viking1204

Lazynorse

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Olsen
Tent (gasp!) camping has this upside. If my tent is up, often with chairs setup, only the most oblivious fool would cozy up.

If I see a pathetic paper plate with “John’s Party” written on it, and nothing else setup, I will snag it as an open site. John is screwed. I’ll probably take the plate litter down while I’m at it. Lots of group campers leave their nametags behind.