Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Truck trade-in offers are at an all time high. You're already as setup as I would ever do to that truck. Spending a ton more for just 35's, makes no sense.

Save yourself the trouble and get a solid axle Ram or Ford. A 7" lift on the Ford, is good for 44" tires. 4"-38's. 2"-37's. Stock-35's.

Go ahead and cut your body. Have it welded back up and painted properly and it's no problem. And try a positive offset set of wheels. Also consider keeping the truck where it's at. IFS trucks nearly always get worse when they're lifted. It's serious $$$$ to do it right. And scaffolding under the truck, ain't right. It's extremely rare for me to see a well done GM. And most of those, were near stock height.

Reactions: zgfiredude

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Fundamentally I'm not a Ford guy........goes back to childhood. I would say that I'm a Chevy guy at heart. However, what @MidOH stated above is the truth. Perhaps, just perhaps you are attempting to build the wrong vehicle. Food for thought. :wink:

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

As a guy that just SAS'ed a Chevy, I tend to agree with the above. In my particular case I was attached to my truck, I also have always wanted a SAS'ed D'max, and my truck has been paid off for IDK, 7-8 years so I was willing to throw some $ at it.

Still, in theory, selling my truck + the money I spent on the SAS would have been enough to buy a new F250 or Power Wagon + some mods.

Again, I'm attached to my truck (it was the first vehicle I ever bought new) and I like that my truck is unique, also I tend to do things the hard way (see my WJ, lol). I like the range I get with my 60 gallon tank and pretty damn good MPG (my truck is deleted/tuned), and I've done a lot over the years in terms of mods on my truck that I wouldn't recover $ from selling it (very high end stereo, very tasteful alcantara interior treatment, some power mods, etc.). Even considering all of that I was pretty tempted by a 7.3 gasoline F250, if I'm being honest.

I'm on 37x13.5"s but a RAM or Super Duty at about this height would be clearing a 40" or 42". I don't want a 40", or 42" for this truck but to run the same 37" I have on the D'max I'd just need a basic leveling kit on either a RAM or SD. I'm SUPER happy with my truck, and I like that it's unique, but you have to be dedicated to your truck to go this route vs. just buying something else that's already solid front axle and easier to fit a big tire on. Since yours is a 1500 it's worse yet, since IIRC Chevy stuck with the weak 10 bolt in the back of them so you don't even have a "great" rear axle to start with.

-TJ

Voyager1500

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bergen County, NJ, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Tierno
Member #

Interesting Chevy says 17" tire is stock. Maybe I just don't understand. Why not increase the offset, giving clearance to the cab and widen the fenders?
That is what I did, a neg 18 offset with fender flares, the offset fills the flares, so it's about 2 inches wider than stock, which may be contributing to the issue i'm having

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

That is what I did, a neg 18 offset with fender flares, the offset fills the flares, so it's about 2 inches wider than stock, which may be contributing to the issue i'm having
Right, what people seem to be missing is with the wider track comes a bigger sweep front to rear as you steer. It'll cause tire clearance issues at the front/rear of the wheel wells that might not happen with the same size tire on a stock offset rim.

-TJ

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

The 20" size wheels are factory on this truck, I did replace them with a wider version with a neg offset to widen the track without using spacers, which also contributes to the rubbing issues. The norcal mod is the cab not fender. the fenders seem to have enough clearance, but inside the fender, square fender, is the problem at the front of cab, back of fender well. I will check out Camberg and Chaos, have not seen those come up in searches yet. Thank you
I think the 20 inch may be an option. Also, replacing them with an even wider version is making this more difficult. My truck came with 18's and I know the base models come with 17 steelie wagon wheels. I removed the 18 aluminum and put the 17 steel wagon wheel on. That's what I intend to use for my 33 inch tires and I dont expect any cutting, welding or whatnot

Reactions: MMc

Voyager1500

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bergen County, NJ, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Tierno
Member #

I am committed to this truck, I love pretty much everything about it. I got the custom trim level as I knew I would be changing alot before I was done, so the Z71 package was a waste for me. I got the important options like the 5.3 and the factory towing package, camera, locking rear diff, etc, but stuck with mechanical 4wd rather than electronic. I am happy with all my mods so far, other than rubbing and think I should have more travel/clearance. I have looked at the options mentioned and the BDS seem s to have some great features, plus the fox upgrades. RC also seems to have some good stuff going on with the vertex set up, but theirs is 7.5", opposed to BDS's 6". I also came across Procomp, not really familiar with their products, but theirs adds a twist, they have braces that run from the back of the rearward crossmember back to frame, seems like a good idea for extra strength. The BDS seems to have the most logical skid plate system where it deflects completley under the crossmembers, where some of the others it runs between oem cross member and the dropped lifted one, so that seems like a good way to damage the suspension should it hit a rock or obstacle on the trail ? Price wise, they seem to be pretty close for comparable systems. lots to digest, Jeeps were soo much easier as you could do multiple mods to work together on the leaf springs front and rear, more modular. these trucks , not so much.

On a side note..... any of you guys ever come across a rear diff skid plate for our trucks ? Probably not needed, but i'm used to having them on my jeeps, feel like it's missing.

Thank you for all of the feedback, will keep you posted on what I wind up doing.

dp454so

Rank IV

Advocate II

USA
First Name
D
Last Name
P
Member #

I am committed to this truck, I love pretty much everything about it. I got the custom trim level as I knew I would be changing alot before I was done, so the Z71 package was a waste for me. I got the important options like the 5.3 and the factory towing package, camera, locking rear diff, etc, but stuck with mechanical 4wd rather than electronic. I am happy with all my mods so far, other than rubbing and think I should have more travel/clearance. I have looked at the options mentioned and the BDS seem s to have some great features, plus the fox upgrades. RC also seems to have some good stuff going on with the vertex set up, but theirs is 7.5", opposed to BDS's 6". I also came across Procomp, not really familiar with their products, but theirs adds a twist, they have braces that run from the back of the rearward crossmember back to frame, seems like a good idea for extra strength. The BDS seems to have the most logical skid plate system where it deflects completley under the crossmembers, where some of the others it runs between oem cross member and the dropped lifted one, so that seems like a good way to damage the suspension should it hit a rock or obstacle on the trail ? Price wise, they seem to be pretty close for comparable systems. lots to digest, Jeeps were soo much easier as you could do multiple mods to work together on the leaf springs front and rear, more modular. these trucks , not so much.

On a side note..... any of you guys ever come across a rear diff skid plate for our trucks ? Probably not needed, but i'm used to having them on my jeeps, feel like it's missing.

Thank you for all of the feedback, will keep you posted on what I wind up doing.
My $.02, I massaged 305x70x17's into my '16 1500 with coilovers and some trimming. Truck is paid for and has 120k on the clock so it's time to play a little ;) Having said that, I am still tempted with a 4" bds kit (and new Kings @ all corners... if available) to be able to clear 37's but I really don't think I need or want that much lift and never liked how the "lift" still kept the front crossmembers way too low (this is a by-product of the front suspension geometry, is not due to any specific lift kit mfg). As of now, I like my low center of gravity, extended travel from the "EXT" version of the kings, and how this truck handles and is set up. I can crank the coilovers up for some more lift and preload and put the factory block back in the rear if needed.

Regarding skid plates, I'm with you brother, there are very few good options out there especially considering how many of these trucks are on the road. The factory GM "skid plates" for the Z71 are laughable. If you find any that are worth it, post it out here so we can maybe get a group deal. Also, let me know if you come across an AUX fuel cell for a 1500 ;)IMG_8922.JPEG

Reactions: MazeVX

Voyager1500

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bergen County, NJ, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Tierno
Member #

Soo after many months of research and reviewing all the info that you guys provided. I did a thing, one several of you would not agree with, but it's the direction my research took me in. Its by no means perfect but it's fairly close to what was needed to suite my needs and overall goals.. I may still need to rethink my wheel size and offsets once I get to the point of changing tires. So heres is what I wound up doing. Since I did not want to do a spacer lift I went will full length coil overs up front and nice resivoir shocks out back. Replaced the two piece lift blocks from superlift with one piece blocks that elimianted the stock block and lift block. I installed add a leaves to help with weight and removed the air bags to get some articulation back. Upfront ..... So no one seemed to make replacement uCA's that were compatible with aftermarket knuckles except Dirt king. So for now the superlift UCA's are still in there as they were able to do a proper alignment with them and there does not seem to be any clearance issues with them. I installed a 7" Rough country kit which dropped the lower control arms but left the uppers in the stock location and utilized lift knuckles instead to keep a stock geometry rather than what most other companies seem to do by also dropping the uppers with more brackets. I called multiple companies to discuss my needs with and only one was really responsive and took the time to help me get to this point and that was Rough COuntry, their customer service , tech guys are really knowledgable and really easy to speak to, very accesible. Kit bolted right up, everything fit without modifying or prying or forcing anything, that was a first. Finish seemed to be a good powder coated finish. Brackets and hardware all were perfect. The coil overs and shocks.... I went also with Rough country with their VERTEX line, I know your not going to believe me but the truck rides and handle s better than it did stock. I could not be happier with these components. I went back and fourth with this deceision for soo long, and the RC kit seemed to make the most sense minimal modifications , shocks and struts as well. The stuff was not inexpensive, but made a big differance in how the truck rides and handles. hi speed and low seem that its' all much more controlled and stable, not sloppy . I do still believe I will have an issue with the wheel wells once I run 35's.. I've come accross people running 37's with similar lifts and doing the fender mod, but this kit widened the front track width by 2" per side, so with the 33's i'ts fairly close on full lock full compression, I relocated my front mudflaps so that that would not be an issue down the road. we shall see. I will probably goto OK 4wd when it's tire time and see what they say, will be considering going down to 18" wheels and maybe alittle less offset to allow for proper clearance , but I have a few years before I need to worry about tires, so for now. I think im ok

Thank you everyone with all of the advise and tips, links etc. was a hugh help. Thank you

Voyager1500

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bergen County, NJ, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Tierno
Member #

My $.02, I massaged 305x70x17's into my '16 1500 with coilovers and some trimming. Truck is paid for and has 120k on the clock so it's time to play a little ;) Having said that, I am still tempted with a 4" bds kit (and new Kings @ all corners... if available) to be able to clear 37's but I really don't think I need or want that much lift and never liked how the "lift" still kept the front crossmembers way too low (this is a by-product of the front suspension geometry, is not due to any specific lift kit mfg). As of now, I like my low center of gravity, extended travel from the "EXT" version of the kings, and how this truck handles and is set up. I can crank the coilovers up for some more lift and preload and put the factory block back in the rear if needed.

Regarding skid plates, I'm with you brother, there are very few good options out there especially considering how many of these trucks are on the road. The factory GM "skid plates" for the Z71 are laughable. If you find any that are worth it, post it out here so we can maybe get a group deal. Also, let me know if you come across an AUX fuel cell for a 1500 ;)View attachment 228349

Regarding skid plates, I'm with you brother, there are very few good options out there especially considering how many of these trucks are on the road. The factory GM "skid plates" for the Z71 are laughable. If you find any that are worth it, post it out here so we can maybe get a group deal. Also, let me know if you come across an AUX fuel cell for a 1500 ;)View attachment 228349
Great looking truck and stance. Love the back seat passenger !

Reactions: dp454so

Voyager1500

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bergen County, NJ, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Tierno
Member #

Heres a pic. It does sit a little higher than I would have liked , but it will give me the room to put the 35's on down the road. It does ride and handle a whole lot better than it did. plus no rubbing noises. it's been in the truck for almost 2 months now. Note that there is pretty much nothing in the bed in this pic, so the add a leaves are definatly doing thier thing r20220809_142911.jpgight now, but once loaded it levels out.

Reactions: dp454so and MazeVX