• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Los Angeles
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Cohn
Hey all,

Would love to get your thoughts on a power setup for an e-bike, small fridge, and gadgets.

At most I will ride the e-bike once per day. I'll use the stock 110v e-bike charger, which draws 2.5A and completes a full charge in 2.5 hours.

I can fit as much as 400W of rooftop solar.

The turnkey battery route would be a Yeti 1500X, but we do a lot of driving so I would rather have a system that ties into the car's alternator (Jeep Wrangler).

So therefore I'm thinking of doing:

If my math is right, I think the LiFePO4 could fully charge my e-bike 2-3 times without solar input. With solar, the panels should replenish an e-bike charge in a few hours. Hopefully, I've left enough overhead for the other stuff we'd want to use.

Most importantly, with the DC/DC charger, we're adding power while driving.

What do yall think?

Dave in AZ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Mac
Hey all,

Would love to get your thoughts on a power setup for an e-bike, small fridge, and gadgets.

At most I will ride the e-bike once per day. I'll use the stock 110v e-bike charger, which draws 2.5A and completes a full charge in 2.5 hours.

I can fit as much as 400W of rooftop solar.

The turnkey battery route would be a Yeti 1500X, but we do a lot of driving so I would rather have a system that ties into the car's alternator (Jeep Wrangler).

So therefore I'm thinking of doing:

If my math is right, I think the LiFePO4 could fully charge my e-bike 2-3 times without solar input. With solar, the panels should replenish an e-bike charge in a few hours. Hopefully, I've left enough overhead for the other stuff we'd want to use.

Most importantly, with the DC/DC charger, we're adding power while driving.

What do yall think?
See my answer at ExpeditionPortal post. All looks decent except your jeep is 12v, your battery is 12v, you need a victron 12 12 30 non isolated, not a 24 24. Also, the 600w inverter is super wimpy, but ok size for just 100Ah 12v battery, if thats all the ac you need.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I charge mine over night. I have a 1000w inverter, 100 amp battery and 200 watt solar. I forget the specs on my bike battery

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Been too lazy to build one otherwise I would be. For me it would be 12-48. I don't like needing the inverter. Every piece of gear I buy is either 12v or USB. If I didn't have the bike, I wouldn't have bought the inverter.

Contributor I

Los Angeles
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Cohn
Been too lazy to build one otherwise I would be. For me it would be 12-48. I don't like needing the inverter. Every piece of gear I buy is either 12v or USB. If I didn't have the bike, I wouldn't have bought the inverter.
Same boat here, bike is the only AC gear. Worth it, hopefully :sunglasses:

4x4tripping

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Switzerland
First Name
Heinz
Last Name
Treben
Here is my Setup, which I did optimize over the years:

3x Solarpanels on the roof for my AGM Batterys
Ecoflow River Mini as the 220v Inverter (300/600W) for eBike, Battery-Aircompressor, electric Mini-Chainsaw Battery, AND 100W USB-C for Notebook, Tablet, Drone, Phone
Charging the Ecoflow River Mini by 12v inside of my car by 85W from the AGM`s

At the beginning I had a mich bigger Ecoflow River Pro, but for my purpose the smaller unit was still good enough, much smaller and more lightweigt. From my Solar / AGM Setup there was still enough juice for fridge, 12v Water heater, lights and so on.

I did wrote some reviews who are linked too above. Please note that I own that stuff since a while, some of the grear is replaced with newer Versions or isnt available anymore...

tripping

Attachments

Contributor I

Los Angeles
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Cohn
Here is my Setup, which I did optimize over the years:

3x Solarpanels on the roof for my AGM Batterys
Ecoflow River Mini as the 220v Inverter (300/600W) for eBike, Battery-Aircompressor, electric Mini-Chainsaw Battery, AND 100W USB-C for Notebook, Tablet, Drone, Phone
Charging the Ecoflow River Mini by 12v inside of my car by 85W from the AGM`s

At the beginning I had a mich bigger Ecoflow River Pro, but for my purpose the smaller unit was still good enough, much smaller and more lightweigt. From my Solar / AGM Setup there was still enough juice for fridge, 12v Water heater, lights and so on.

I did wrote some reviews who are linked too above. Please note that I own that stuff since a while, some of the grear is replaced with newer Versions or isnt available anymore...

tripping
That battery is super small, only 200wh compared to my 700wh ebike. You must be relying on a steady supply of solar, how much solar do you have?

4x4tripping

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Switzerland
First Name
Heinz
Last Name
Treben
That battery is super small, only 200wh compared to my 700wh ebike. You must be relying on a steady supply of solar, how much solar do you have?
I have 345 Watt of Solar on the roof of my car.

You can choose the bigger size of battery`s.

Some time ago I did a comparison of some common of such battery brands:

They are not so much bigger and under 10kg... Please note: you can too charge those boxes directly by solar too...

trippin

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Does it look like this?
Levo.JPG

I have a Levo Turbo and an Aventon Aventure2.

I like the Aventon but its too much of a street orientated bike. What I do like is it will go 30mph pedaling and 22 mph on the throttle. Odds are I'm going to sell it. I like the Levo much more.

On the Levo, 1st gear was too low for me and second wasn't much better. I went up (i think) three teeth on the front gear. That made the gear ratio better for me. I also unlocked the speed cap but about 25 mph on street is about it. If I pedal faster I can hit 28.
Due to an injury I haven't ridden this winter. I'm starting back probably next week.

BTW. What part of LA you in?