Central California early May? Having trouble finding a place to go. Could use some suggestions!

• HTML tutorial

editjames

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Venice, CA
First Name
James
Last Name
Dierx
Here's my dilemma. My friends are having babies. It's the last trip for a while. They are flying into Los Angeles and we are headed up north 2nd week of May. I wish we could postpone the trip (for warmth) but then it gets too close to due dates etc...

I was thinking Sequoia National Forest and then towards Sierra National forest? Somewhere around 4-6,000ft eleveation. Will this will be too cold for tent camping this time of year?

I was looking at the Hume lake area... and then up Black Rock road. No real destination in particular. Just some forest road scouting etc.. I have a lifted jeep and they have a 4runner.

I used to love the Monache Meadows area, the drive in was the perfect level for me... but it got a little too crowded recently. I had a bad experience where someone pulled up and set up camp right next to us, blasting music and shooting targets.

Any areas someone can point me towards? Maybe something with a little 4x4?

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
The Hume Lake area is indeed beautiful and chock full of dirt roads of all difficulties - lots and lots of sanctioned and wild camping as well. Looks like the weather is currently highs of 65-ish and lows in the high 30s - great camping weather! My concern would be remaining snow accumulation up that high - I'll bet you could call the ranger station(s) in the area and get a report. Not sure if and how much snow they got this year. You can also contact the office of Hume Lake Christian Camps to find out when their general store will open for the season (supplies and gas); they have staff at the camp year round and would likely be happy to give a snow/weather report; or check out their web-cams! Its currently dark at Hume but yesterday's web cam footage shows no snow down at the lake. There is at least one other store/gas station in the area that I believe is run by the park service (web site says fuel is limited).

Funny that you mentioned Hume, I just posted some trail pics from that general area (one, two, three). Should you decide to do a trip there hit me up privately and I can give you some tips on some fun tracks.

Last edited:

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
Also, be sure to check on where the fires were last year. Some areas may still be closed to the public due to hazard trees and such. The KNP Complex burned alot of land in the Kings and Sequoia Parks.

TCorona

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Corona
Member #

I would also suggest around the Hume Lake area... check out up towards Ten Mile Rd., some campgrounds and boondocking spots in this area, also plenty of places to explore, like up to Buck Rock fire lookout(if its open?) Located between the National Parks to have access to them also...

Reactions: Ubiety

editjames

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Venice, CA
First Name
James
Last Name
Dierx
The Hume Lake area is indeed beautiful and chock full of dirt roads of all difficulties - lots and lots of sanctioned and wild camping as well. Looks like the weather is currently highs of 65-ish and lows in the high 30s - great camping weather! My concern would be remaining snow accumulation up that high - I'll bet you could call the ranger station(s) in the area and get a report. Not sure if and how much snow they got this year. You can also contact the office of Hume Lake Christian Camps to find out when their general store will open for the season (supplies and gas); they have staff at the camp year round and would likely be happy to give a snow/weather report; or check out their web-cams! Its currently dark at Hume but yesterday's web cam footage shows no snow down at the lake. There is at least one other store/gas station in the area that I believe is run by the park service (web site says fuel is limited).

Funny that you mentioned Hume, I just posted some trail pics from that general area (one, two, three). Should you decide to do a trip there hit me up privately and I can give you some tips on some fun tracks.
Thank you so much for this. This is all very helpful!

Reactions: TCorona and Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I would also suggest around the Hume Lake area... check out up towards Ten Mile Rd., some campgrounds and boondocking spots in this area, also plenty of places to explore, like up to Buck Rock fire lookout(if its open?) Located between the National Parks to have access to them also...
Buck Rock for the win! Awesome spot to check out even if you cannot get up into the fire observation hut. Did the dirt road route from Hume Lake to Buck Rock with my father in law last summer and had a real nice time; easy peasy trail.

IMG_5913.jpegIMG_5910.jpeg