Cell Phone Network Coverage

• HTML tutorial

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

I've seen much discussion about cell phone signal boosters, but none about the actual network coverage. You can't boost what is not there....

I am considering switching over to a "Project Fi" phone, but was concerned with the coverage. It seems like a killer phone and network in the more urban areas. But I wonder about the rural areas?

There seems to be good network saturation on highways 80 and 50. But I often travel on highways 4, 108, and 120 (California).

I understand that a Project Fi phone will work on Sprint, T-Mobile, and U.S. Cellular networks.

I currently use Verizon- which is expensive- but seems to have the best coverage, even in the boonies. Cell works great, and I can often pick up 3G in the mountains. 4G doesn't seem to have penetrated up there yet.

Anyone have experience with the Project Fi phones?

Randy

fstfrd00

Rank IV

Pathfinder III

Fort Worth
Can't speak for cali but in Texas, near the red river, and Oklahoma (near Broken Bow), Sprint had darn near no cell service, I would expect the same with Project FI. AT&T had 3G.

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

After hurricane Katrina, I was hanging out in a forum with many first responders from across the US. Hands down these folks preferred Verizon. Verizon had the best coverage, as well as the most towers with generators and battery backup.

I have also been on a several outings where only the Verizon users had coverage.

On the other end of the scale, I used to have T-Mobile. At the time they had no coverage at Ontario International Airport (California). Later in that same trip we had to go a T-mobile store in San Jacinto, CA. No coverage right in their own store. No chance of coverage in the boonies.

For me, I willingly pay the extra for Verizon, knowing I get the best coverage, and in a disaster Verizon will stay running longer than the rest.

Cheers, TR

Last edited:
Reactions: tinyOVERLANDER

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Randy P

I am considering switching over to a "Project Fi" phone, but was concerned with the coverage. It seems like a killer phone and network in the more urban areas. But I wonder about the rural areas?

I currently use Verizon- which is expensive- but seems to have the best coverage, even in the boonies. Cell works great, and I can often pick up 3G in the mountains. 4G doesn't seem to have penetrated up there yet.
I had the Nexus5X until it's battery died this spring. I can say that the phone was great and was able to pick up weak signals when folks with iPhones and Samsung phones on the same plan were not. This was on AT&T rather than Project FI so that should expand coverage even more. I hear the Pixel is even better in this regard but have not been able to test.

A lot of blank spots on this coverage map ( https://fi.google.com/coverage ) that I've seen Verizon work in.

Over Memorial Day I can say that in the back country of Capitol Reef NP the folks with Verizon all had phone service and some had data (mostly various iPhones in that group) while everyone with AT&T, Sprint, and Tmobile were SOL for both voice and data.

Boort

Reactions: OuterLimits

The Nothing

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

pdx, or
First Name
Isaac
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BSB
I've been on Fi for just over 2 years, switch my wife to it last fall. Being the NW, the US Cellular towers definitely come into more play, which is nice. I can't say that I've ever not had coverage when I needed it. I've even had coverage in areas that the Fi Map says there isn't (Yaak, MT).

That said, if I were to leave Fi, it'd be for Verizon.

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

I've been on Fi for just over 2 years, switch my wife to it last fall. Being the NW, the US Cellular towers definitely come into more play, which is nice. I can't say that I've ever not had coverage when I needed it. I've even had coverage in areas that the Fi Map says there isn't (Yaak, MT).

That said, if I were to leave Fi, it'd be for Verizon.

That was one of the things I noticed. The Fi map is only for 2G 3G or 4G. I could not find a map for voice coverage.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Randy P
That was one of the things I noticed. The Fi map is only for 2G 3G or 4G. I could not find a map for voice coverage.
My understanding is that Google is using data service to provide VOIP rather than traditional Voice coverage. That is why Fi will work over Wifi connections as well as cellular ones. So as long as you have a suitable data connection the voice service will work.

Boort

Reactions: OuterLimits

The Nothing

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

pdx, or
First Name
Isaac
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BSB
Fi defaults to WiFi if it's available. It'll go to CDMA/GSM if there isn't wifi available. I've found the switch between them to be unnoticable as I step out from my house and walk around the neighborhood while on the phone. I'll jump from Wifi (xfinity covers most of it) and CDMA/GSM a half dozen times.