P8trit

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Montana
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Campbell
I'm looking for any and all info about the CDT to help educate us for our future trip. We have a small group of 4 rigs committed to a goal of completing this trail in 2024.
I've seen Kent's CDT post and have the route and waypoints that makes this trip so much easier.
Looking for recommendations for best month for best chance at competing?
Most see camps or views?
Things maybe to avoid?
Information on firearms in areas of states.
Any info you care to share would be greatly appreciated.

The group is based in Montana and we plan to head south for the start and work our way north to finish. We are planning 14 days total so hopefully we can make that happen but if not we can finish the montana section the next weekend or so but really want to do it in one leg.
Thank you for taking the time to help make this possible.

Reactions: Kent R

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Which of the Colorado high mountain passes does your version of the route travel?

I know Kent's route did a side trip via Stony and Engineer passes, but only because I begged them not to blow right past some of the best tracks in the country.

Reactions: P8trit

P8trit

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Montana
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Campbell
Which of the Colorado high mountain passes does your version of the route travel?

I know Kent's route did a side trip via Stony and Engineer passes, but only because I begged them not to blow right past some of the best tracks in the country.
As of now I'm following Kents route and that would be awesome if it did do the best tracks..

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
If you're following Kent's actual route, then you will be going over Stony and engineer passes which will just give you a taste of the amazing four-wheel drive tracks that this area has to offer. I believe mosquito pass was part of his plan, but they bypassed it due to rain.

Mid-June through September is usually when you can expect these passes to be open. This can easily vary year to year based on snowfall and avalanche damage.

Have you guys spent any time in the San Juan mountains around Ouray and/or the Moab area? If not, consider planning a trip that focuses on those or similar areas. I say this because I've witnessed a lot of people doing these traverses and in the end regretting all of the great stuff that they drove past spending so much time on boring roads just for bragging rights.

P8trit

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Montana
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Campbell
If you're following Kent's actual route, then you will be going over Stony and engineer passes which will just give you a taste of the amazing four-wheel drive tracks that this area has to offer. I believe mosquito pass was part of his plan, but they bypassed it due to rain.

Mid-June through September is usually when you can expect these passes to be open. This can easily vary year to year based on snowfall and avalanche damage.

Have you guys spent any time in the San Juan mountains around Ouray and/or the Moab area? If not, consider planning a trip that focuses on those or similar areas. I say this because I've witnessed a lot of people doing these traverses and in the end regretting all of the great stuff that they drove past spending so much time on boring roads just for bragging rights.
We do plan to spending some time in Colorado on a different trip and have a trip planned for utah this summer. Definitely want to hit highlights as permitted with time on this journey, reason for posting up and asking. I will look into mosquito and San juan mountains to see if I can add to the trip without adding days.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
If you wanted an amazing Colorado side trip, in addition to Stony and engineer passes, you could add California, hurricane, corkscrew, Imogene, Ophir (or Black Bear) and have an amazing trip. In doing this you could visit the towns of ouray, silverton, telluride. If you decide to do this, we could help you pick the most effective route for minimal backtracking and good camping.

IMO, Mosquito isn't as grand as those mentioned above so you might forgo it in the interest of time.

P8trit

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Montana
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Campbell
If you wanted an amazing Colorado side trip, in addition to Stony and engineer passes, you could add California, hurricane, corkscrew, Imogene, Ophir (or Black Bear) and have an amazing trip. In doing this you could visit the towns of ouray, silverton, telluride. If you decide to do this, we could help you pick the most effective route for minimal backtracking and good camping.

IMO, Mosquito isn't as grand as those mentioned above so you might forgo it in the interest of time.
I would so like a route going hitting these passes and towns with little backtracking. I was just looking at the alpine loop, not sure yet if thats part of what you mentioned but we are game to enjoy high mountain adventures while on this journey.
I think black bear will get me to telluride and then imogene to Ouray but not sure how ti get back on CDT without backtracking or taking all paved.

Anyone has a route on Gaia pleace link. :)

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

I would so like a route going hitting these passes and towns with little backtracking. I was just looking at the alpine loop, not sure yet if thats part of what you mentioned but we are game to enjoy high mountain adventures while on this journey.
I think black bear will get me to telluride and then imogene to Ouray but not sure how ti get back on CDT without backtracking or taking all paved.

Anyone has a route on Gaia pleace link. :)
Engineer pass is the northernmost half of the Alpine loop. The southern half is cinnamon pass that you could do instead of Stony if you wanted to.

Engineer and cinnamon meet at the animas forks Ghost Town. (With the exception of the engineer leg that goes over towards ouray and is sometimes referred to as mineral Creek. This section is a usually more technical and challenging.)

From animas forks you can take California to hurricane to corkscrew and come out to the Million Dollar Highway at Ironton Park. There's a lot of camping there. From there you have easy access to silverton, Ophir pass, Black Bear pass, ouray and ultimately Imogene/ Yankee Boy via Camp Bird Rd.

If you haven't already, have a look at trails offroad.com. they have great GPX tracks, videos and trail information for all of this.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
FWIW, I took this video from the Corkscrew Pass last year. I share it because it has become one of my favorite spots, but you often won't hear much about it.

• Love

P8trit

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Montana
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Campbell
Engineer pass is the northernmost half of the Alpine loop. The southern half is cinnamon pass that you could do instead of Stony if you wanted to.

Engineer and cinnamon meet at the animas forks Ghost Town. (With the exception of the engineer leg that goes over towards ouray and is sometimes referred to as mineral Creek. This section is a usually more technical and challenging.)

From animas forks you can take California to hurricane to corkscrew and come out to the Million Dollar Highway at Ironton Park. There's a lot of camping there. From there you have easy access to silverton, Ophir pass, Black Bear pass, ouray and ultimately Imogene/ Yankee Boy via Camp Bird Rd.

If you haven't already, have a look at trails offroad.com. they have great GPX tracks, videos and trail information for all of this.
Wow great information. I've heard of trails offroad but till now never used and it's very helpful. Lots to look at and figure out now. lol

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX

P8trit

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Montana
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Campbell
Thank you! I'll be slowly watching your vids to get ideas of the area.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I'm looking for any and all info about the CDT to help educate us for our future trip. We have a small group of 4 rigs committed to a goal of completing this trail in 2024.
I've seen Kent's CDT post and have the route and waypoints that makes this trip so much easier.
Looking for recommendations for best month for best chance at competing?
Most see camps or views?
Things maybe to avoid?
Information on firearms in areas of states.
Any info you care to share would be greatly appreciated.

The group is based in Montana and we plan to head south for the start and work our way north to finish. We are planning 14 days total so hopefully we can make that happen but if not we can finish the montana section the next weekend or so but really want to do it in one leg.
Thank you for taking the time to help make this possible.
See DM