Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Disclaimer: I know nothing about CB radios.

I am looking for suggestions on a CB for my rig. Nothing fancy. Just something I can use to communicate on the trail or on the highway. I have two ideas on what to use, as I have mapped out cable routing and antenna position. I have looked at Cobra 75 WX and a Cobra HH Road Trip. Both seem to do what I need, but the hand held is desirable for its mobility. I have the idea to route a fixed antenna to my bull bar, but with a hand held and a mag antenna, I have no need to route the antenna and wiring. Obvious, but I like its simplicity. If anyone has experience with these models, or has any other suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate any of it.

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

I've been happy with the Cobra 75 WX. I installed it because I like being able to easily remove it from my Wrangler when not on the trail. I installed the remote piece that the radio plugs into under the passenger seat and run the antenna cable from there to the back of the Jeep under the floor mats (I have the big Quadratec liners in the front, back, and cargo area). The antenna screws into a mount on the tailgate.

I only use it for trail runs when the Jeeps are pretty close together, so I can't comment on long-distance use of it. I also keep the antenna off as it is too tall for the parking garages downtown. It is a firestick and bangs against the ceiling of most garages, so it is just easier to only install it when I plan on using it. I haven't run into any issues with it needing to be retuned.

Little Big Bear

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hillsboro, Oregon
Member #

I do not have experience using the remote mount style like you are looking at, but friends have them and like them. I run the Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB, super clear and good range. On a side note that Lead K9 mentioned, I use the Tram 217 antenna quick disconnect for getting into garages. A simple push down and 90 degree twist allows my firestick antenna to come loose to be put behind seat of truck.