Rank II

Enthusiast III

Bristol,Pa
First Name
John
Last Name
Bellerby
Hi all..

Recently scooped up an RV3 on book of faces, hoped one would come my way.

Sitting here and thinking, the way it folds up by design and wondering if it's going to be strong enough to set atop two Thule bars. Will the design allow it to flex in center potentially bending tubing or breaking clips/hinges?

This gives me the excuse to get off the recliner and build a platform, but I'd like get out before I'm able to pull that off.

Thinking some more, I guess I can cut a slice of diamond plate to fill between the Thule crossbars.. temporarily.

Anybody with an OZ Tent have input?

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Should be fine. I would have the bars about half the length of the tent apart, maybe 4ft and equal overhang at both ends. They are pretty solid (and heavy).
I've carried it on my Nissan for thousands of miles, it has 3 bars, but the overall distance is only about that. Only strapped down on the front and back bars.
The metal at the back of the floor, top x 2 and on walls x 2 span the whole length of the bag and keep it rigid.

Reactions: OverlandZJ

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

We have 2x RV5s etc... both have been carried on two roof bars with no problem. Space the bars so they are 1/3 or the length of the tent apart.

Reactions: OverlandZJ

jimmyjamson

Rank I

Contributor III

Switzerland
First Name
jack
Last Name
austin
Hi all..

Recently scooped up an RV3 on book of faces, hoped one would come my way.

Sitting here and thinking, the way it folds up by design and wondering if it's going to be strong enough to set atop two Thule bars. Will the design allow it to flex in center potentially bending tubing or breaking clips/hinges?

This gives me the excuse to get off the recliner and build a platform, but I'd like get out before I'm able to pull that off.

Thinking some more, I guess I can cut a slice of diamond plate to fill between the Thule crossbars brasserie martin.. temporarily.

Anybody with an OZ Tent have input?
  1. Check the weight capacity of the Thule bars to ensure they can support the RV3.
  2. Assess the RV3's design and construction for compatibility with roof rack mounting.
  3. If concerned about flexing or stress, consider adding additional support like a platform or slice of diamond plate.
  4. Consult the manufacturer for specific guidance on roof rack compatibility.
  5. Prioritize safety, and if unsure, refrain from placing the RV3 on the Thule bars until a secure solution is implemented.
Always follow manufacturer guidelines and seek professional advice if needed.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We have the Jettent25x that we used for years before we got our RTT. Personally, I overbuild things as a matter of course. Always asking myself, will it hold up after a couple hundred miles of nasty washboard roads? Not only did our tent ride up on the full racks, I added additional slats for even more support. If your load bars will support 165lbs and the tent weighs 50lbs and a strap loosens up while on rough roads, then what? Now you might have a 50 lb tent with 2/3rds of its full weight, pounding down on a load bar that is rated for 82.5 lbs. Not a good scenario. It’s all about being prepared for Murphy’s law. I’d get another slat, just in case.