Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

What is your opinion keep USA base plan with international like Verizon 5 buck per day a line, ATT 10 per day for one line and 5 bucks next line, or get Canada SIM card?

eriefisher

Rank III

Advocate I

Southern Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
LaForme
In Canada as a general rule our cell service is terribly expensive compared to what's available in the U.S. You might be able to find a good deal with a sim card with some research. The big providers can be reliable(Bell, Telus, Rogers) as well as their budget subs(Koodo, Fido, Virgin etc) but I would stay away from secondary sellers(Public, Freedom, Wind.........) and there are a ton of them. Some are regional and most only work in major centers or along major travel corridors.

As a comparison to the example you mention, my Koodo plan allows me to use my plan in the U.S. for $16/day CAD IF I use it. I came roam and have service but the second I send or receive a message or a call I have to pay the $16. If I don't use it then no charge. Use once, use all day as long as it's within the limitations of my plan.

I hope this helps!

Edit: I should add, if you just use what you have then everyone that has your info can still contact you. With a local sim card nobody will have the contact info unless you explicitly give it to them. Both has advantages I guess.

eriefisher

Rank III

Advocate I

Southern Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
LaForme
Ah! Labrador area? Labrador is half a Province. Very few roads and people. More moose that people. Likely true for bears as well. I've never been myself other than the island half Newfoundland once but it's very different. I think you'll find decent service in the few city's/towns and villages and likely through the travel corridors but that would be it. Things are spread out there so between centers I wouldn't expect much. As an example, the largest city in Labrador is Happy Valley-Goose Bay with a massive population just over 8000 people and Labrador City about 300 miles away with 7500 people.

I think you'll find that Labrador is a mostly densely forested pristine landscape. Not many roads into it and most fly to bigger centers then smaller planes and float planes etc. I think you'll enjoy it.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Just trying to have a once a while connection to civilization. Idea is to explorer a little on way there, may be than take ferry to Newfoundland.

NØMAD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Newton
Member #

I did a month long trip during 2022 in Canada and got myself a CA sim card at the first Walmart I came to and it did the trick...I bought just the data and came with 100min of calls all for about $50. Worked seemless for nav and keeping connected.

Reactions: phlfly

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Check your cell plan details. There are typically options for a monthly upgrade or to pay for only the days you actually use services. I currently have a Verizon unlimited plan, which includes unlimited talk/text/data in Canada, but speed is reduced after .5G usage per day. I’ll be visiting Canada (AB & BC) this summer. Google Fi wireless is another option for service if your trip is longer.
If you choose to purchase a SIM card, keep in mind that any two factor authentication will be sent to the phone number listed on that account, not your temporary number. The same may be true for anyone attempting to reach you via your permanent number or if you use apps to access financial accounts.
Finally, check if your credit cards charge a foreign transaction fee. When possible, select the option to pay in local currency. You can also consider using a Revolut account to avoid these fees and get a competitive currency exchange rate.

Reactions: phlfly

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Did you open a Revolut account at revolut website? Did you have a good experience, no issue with a fraud?

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
On my last trip into Canada, I used my T-Mobile phone with no issues. Coverage was very good and maintained 4G for 90% of the trip. There was no setup requirement nor an additional charge. If you have a T-Mobile phone, it's already included in your plan. Mexico is also covered.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
@Firemom Can you add anything to this conversation?

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Did you open a Revolut account at revolut website? Did you have a good experience, no issue with a fraud?
I have a family member who travels all over the world and has had a good experience so far. I neglected to mention using Apple or Google Pay. These are one of the safest ways to pay and what I typically use.

Firemom

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador

Pioneer III

Rapid City, Meade County, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves
We have a Verizon Unlimited plan. It covers all the US, Canada and Mexico. The data is limited (not the text or calling) in Canada and Mexico but as long as your not trying to up/down load video or do a lot of other internet stuff, you should be fine with what they give you. If you need more data there is an option from your phone to purchase more.

Some areas in Labrador have no service but we were surprised to find more then we thought. Any time we got near a town we had 4 bars and the cell extender helped when we were further out.

It seams to me, a lot of the advice about needing to purchase a SIM card, may be old advice, especially if you have service with any of the major carriers. We have never purchased a sim card and have had service anywhere it was available throughout all our North American continent travels.

If you venture outside of the North American Continent, ie. Central America, all you need to do is add temporary international coverage. Not cheep but it makes your phone work just about anywhere. Everyone told us we would have to get a SIM card for Costa Rica because US phones wouldn’t work there. We are in CR right now and my phone (with international upgrade) works perfectly.

PS. Verizon offers a military and possibly a first responder discount.

Hope everyone is having a great year
Deb @ironhorseoverland

Reactions: ZombieCat

Firemom

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador

Pioneer III

Rapid City, Meade County, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves
We have a Verizon Unlimited plan. It covers all the US, Canada and Mexico. The data is limited (not the text or calling) in Canada and Mexico but as long as your not trying to up/down load video or do a lot of other internet stuff, you should be fine with what they give you. If you need more data there is an option from your phone to purchase more.

Some areas in Labrador have no service but we were surprised to find more then we thought. Any time we got near a town we had 4 bars and the cell extender helped when we were further out.

It seams to me, a lot of the advice about needing to purchase a SIM card, may be old advice, especially if you have service with any of the major carriers. We have never purchased a sim card and have had service anywhere it was available throughout all our North American continent travels.

If you venture outside of the North American Continent, ie. Central America, all you need to do is add temporary international coverage. Not cheep but it makes your phone work just about anywhere. Everyone told us we would have to get a SIM card for Costa Rica because US phones wouldn’t work there. We are in CR right now and my phone (with international upgrade) works perfectly.

PS. Verizon offers a military and possibly a first responder discount.

Hope everyone is having a great year
Deb @ironhorseoverland
Best to start with a phone call to your current cell provider and see what you’re currently covered for and what’s available through them. You might be surprised at what you already have.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I work at bell part time. We have an unlimited Can talk and text plan with 15gb of data for 35 dollars pay as you go. That would be your cheapest route. There are other providers like lucky and public etc who state they have nationwide coverage but thats only in the major centers. Get to the outskirts and they do not provide service. If you are coming to Newfoundland and Labrador, Do NOT go with rogers as they do not provide service anywhere other than St. John's.