Can you use soft shackles with any rear hitch receiver?

• HTML tutorial

cnyc31

Rank 0

Contributor I

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Monsen
Hi guys,

I'm totally new to overloading and this is my first post. I searched online in ih8mud and this forum but I wasn't able to find an answer so I am pointing here. I hope I am asking in the right section.

My wife and I just bought a 2007 LX470. We are slowly building our rig and I have a newbie question about connecting a soft shackle into the rear hitch receiver.

I want to connect an ARB snatch strap to my rear hitch using a soft shackle. The question is, can I connect a soft shackle into a normal receiver hitch? Or do I need to get a specialized receiver that can handle both soft and hard shackles?

For example, can I attach a soft shackle to this smittybilt 2 inch rear receiver hitch? (not on the d-ring but into the receiver itself)
Smittybilt 29312B Receiver Hitch D-Ring with 3/4-Inch Shackle for 2-Inch Receivers

Or should I get a specialized hitch like the factor 55 one?
Factor 55 00020-04 HitchLink 2.0 Reciever Shackle Mount 2 Inch Receivers Black

Thank you so much!

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
If it is set up for a D-ring I would say yes you can use it with any other brand of setup I just wouldn't use it with the hitch pin in the hole in the hitch. I know some people do but I really wouldn't recommend it. Rugged Ridge has a small block that goes into a hitch receiver as well that is nice and compact and light.

Attachments

Reactions: cnyc31

cnyc31

Rank 0

Contributor I

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Monsen
If it is set up for a D-ring I would say yes you can use it with any other brand of setup I just wouldn't use it with the hitch pin in the hole in the hitch. I know some people do but I really wouldn't recommend it. Rugged Ridge has a small block that goes into a hitch receiver as well that is nice and compact and light.
Oh that’s so good to know. Thank you so much for your input. And also for the recommendation for the rugged ridge product.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Hitches might be OK for towing but they are definitely not rated for a snatch strap. I'm gonna get slagged for saying it but on a previous thread I asked 3 hitch suppliers if their reciever was rated as a recovery point, they all said no.

Reactions: cnyc31 and Brewbud

cnyc31

Rank 0

Contributor I

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Monsen
Hitches might be OK for towing but they are definitely not rated for a snatch strap. I'm gonna get slagged for saying it but on a previous thread I asked 3 hitch suppliers if their reciever was rated as a recovery point, they all said no.
Really..?? That is something I haven't heard before... Thank you very much for the heads up...

Reactions: USStrongman

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
These 2" hitches are rated between 6 and 8K, they will work in most cases as long as you keep the weight limits in mind. You could use a bow shackle to attach your strap the that hitch. You could radius the hole in the Smittybilt receiver attachment for a softshackle. Some use the hitch pin direct to a strap. The fewer parts the better.
I have the Smittybilt stinger and use a 17k bow shackle for attaching the strap.

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

Here in Australia, all hitches are rated for snatching.

Karl

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

If you have a recovery strap you dont even need the soft shackle just stick the loop in the reciever an insert the pin... done.

For those who believe a reciever cant handle recovery with straps where do you connect your strap thats stronger than a tow reciever, the shackle mount welded to your bumper is no better guess where that bumper bolts up? On the frame same place the reciever is usually with less bolts holding it too so how is that better? Shackle mounts are best left to self recovery using a winch, snatch block back to your shackle, they arent anymore rated for the shock of a kinetic recovery than a tow reciver. The only real reason for kinetic anyway is if your rig is underweight or underpowered to pull another rig out. If you have power, traction or the weight you can use a chain, or a normal tow strap to straight up pull someone out without having to yank.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
If you have a recovery strap you dont even need the soft shackle just stick the loop in the reciever an insert the pin... done.

For those who believe a reciever cant handle recovery with straps where do you connect your strap thats stronger than a tow reciever, the shackle mount welded to your bumper is no better guess where that bumper bolts up? On the frame same place the reciever is usually with less bolts holding it too so how is that better? Shackle mounts are best left to self recovery using a winch, snatch block back to your shackle, they arent anymore rated for the shock of a kinetic recovery than a tow reciver. The only real reason for kinetic anyway is if your rig is underweight or underpowered to pull another rig out. If you have power, traction or the weight you can use a chain, or a normal tow strap to straight up pull someone out without having to yank.
I would disagree with using only the pin because the pins bend. If you use it with a reciever block to you then have a double shear setup but if you use only the pin it concentrates all of the force to the center of the pin causing it to bent. Works in a pinch if you have no other choice but I wouldn't recommend it. As for the rest and using a hitch as a recovery point I see no issues. My ear number it more reinforced than a hitch receiver would be though as there are bolts mounting it to the outside rails of the frame ( standard hitch Mount points for my vehicle) as well as bolted through/around the rear crossmember adding additional reinforcement. Also depending on the vehicle hitches mount very differently so I would say it is a case by case basis.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

You may want to research that some more, some 2" hitches are rated at 6k lbs. The 2" hitches on mid size toyo's and gm's are 8K lb rated.
Draw tite class 3 for colorados is 10k for weight distribution towing.
Although we are talking about recovery straps, d rings and the hitch rating is a safety margin to keep lawyers off their tail in an accident if you overload your trailer. Offroad during recovery anything can happen. Most d ring shackle mounts have no rating whatsoever, a company can say it does something but there is no one but the buyer that are testing them.
Atleast ive never heard of a class 1 2 or 3 d ring shackle mount, they are usually either bolt on or weld on and different sized holes for shackles that are rated. Then the type of frame a vehicle has makes a big difference in strength.

I dont use snatch straps its not good for your frame to yank on it like that . If i cant straight up pull you out with a non kinetic strap hooked up to th pin in my reciever or my winch then sorry youll need to call someone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anak and MOAK

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

You may want to research that some more, some 2" hitches are rated at 6k lbs. The 2" hitches on mid size toyo's and gm's are 8K lb rated.
As I said, here in Australia hitches are rated - this is mine and it is rated to Work Load Limit (WLL) of 4.7 ton (4700 kg) which is about 10 362 lbs; having said that, you can buy cheap stuff off of EvilBay that won't be stamped but I only purchase my recovery gear from reputable retailers.

Karl

20200226_160535.jpg

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

As I said, here in Australia hitches are rated - this is mine and it is rated to Work Load Limit (WLL) of 4.7 ton (4700 kg) which is about 10 362 lbs; having said that, you can buy cheap stuff off of EvilBay that won't be stamped but I only purchase my recovery gear from reputable retailers.

Karl

View attachment 141811
4.7 ton is 9400 lbs, 4263.768 kilo

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

4.7 ton is 9400 lbs, 4263.768 kilo
Sorry, I should have said 'Work Load Limit (WLL) of 4.7 tonne (4700 kg) ' - tonne is also another word for metric ton which is the word we use in Australia.

A tonne (or metric ton) is 1000 kg - 4.7 x 1000 kg = 4700 kg.

Using this converter (Conversion Calculator) 4700 kg = 10 362 lbs

Hope that clears any confusion.

Karl

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army

Karl

View attachment 141811
Your shackle hitch is not the weakest point, in most rigs the receiver hitch that is bolted to the trucks frame is the weakest point when you look at the WLL. We all know the WLL is will below the failure point, normally 5X the WLL.

Joseph Gaitan

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winchester, CA
Member #

This would work.

2.5 or a 3 from Factor 55

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

That's is an boilerplate answer that keeps them out of a lawsuit.

Reactions: M Rose