Southern California - San Fernando Valley
First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
So... I'll start be saying that I'm a bit of a Tech Geek at heart (isn't everyone? LOL!)

Depending on camping location and various other factors... GZ Solar panels with battery pack, a few different techie stoves or grills (BioLite, Velocity Grill), Hand held GPS, GMRS Radios, and we usually pack a larger tablet for Family Movie Nights by hanging it on one side of our tent! The list can get much longer or much much shorter, just depends.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

My mindset, being that someone who has been backpack camping since he was a kid, is that now that I don't have to carry my gear - I might as well have some luxuries. However, I find those luxuries are more in comfort than in technology. Sure, I bring solar panels along and the like - but pillows and blankets go a long way on a cold night.

HoneyBadgerXJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Treadwell
Member #

Since I was a little kid my family always took camping as a chance to bond with each other outside in nature. So I try and do the same when I camp. I usually bring the basics for sleeping; tent, sleeping bag, etc. I'll bring cooking stuff such as a Coleman grill or some metal grating so I can cook over the fire. For tech I will bring a gps and my phone for emergencies (if I even have service). Camping itself is a luxury to me because I'm away from the stresses in life.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I bring tech stuff that makes my camping experience more comfortable.. Solar panels xp10 battery pack for charging my phone.. But that's about it.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Luis Merlo

HoneyBadgerXJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Treadwell
Member #

One of my hobbies is astronomy. I live in the SF Bay Area. There is a lot of light pollution around here, and not-too-great skies. When in remote areas with fantastically clear skies, I'd be missing the opportunity if I didn't take my scope!
That is super cool! I think I want a telescope now!

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

That is super cool! I think I want a telescope now!
The best thing I've ever seen, though wasn't in the night sky. I set up my scope and was just looking at random things. When looking at a mountain peak about 3 or 4 miles away, I saw a buck on the top of it. Just a silhouette, mind you. Had a rather large rack and no doubt keeping an eye on his territory. Wish I had a camera to use that day!

HoneyBadgerXJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Treadwell
Member #

The best thing I've ever seen, though wasn't in the night sky. I set up my scope and was just looking at random things. When looking at a mountain peak about 3 or 4 miles away, I saw a buck on the top of it. Just a silhouette, mind you. Had a rather large rack and no doubt keeping an eye on his territory. Wish I had a camera to use that day!
That's awesome!

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Phone, stand along GPS, tablet, and emergency charger/jumper battery. I have the XP-10 and its nice to be able to charge whatever and keep it with you. I still only have a single truck battery, so its my insurance.

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Pillow & Blankets add a lot of extra comfort and warmth, even in a well kitted tent.

Always bring a good book to read - nice to relax and read for half hour before lights out.

Trying to steer away from internet dependency, so don't always bring laptop / tablet / etc.
Not a popular choice with the 2 teenage daughters.......

Always bring an electric power cable reel (with campsite plug converter unit plug) in case there is the option to plug into campsite electrics.
With this I also have a 7 points extension cable unit - allowing many items to use / recharge at the same time.
Campsites commonly offer electric points around Europe & Scandinavia, and its usually well worth the extra cost, to have everything charging, etc.
Also, if we know we will be at a campsite with electric supply, we usually bring a light portable electric kettle, for rapid boiling water - it's well worth it !!!

I like the idea of bringing along a telescope (posts directly above) and will look into this option for the future.

Thanks for sharing.......

Reactions: Rizzo

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

Pillows, flannel top sheet over our new 6 inch mattress with 1.5" memory foam topper, ARB fridge, Arkpac 730, portable fire pit, and Mr Heater heater buddy, basecamp stove, and LED lights.
No more army camping! After 32 years of army camping with guns and being cold wet tired and hungry (I'm kidding for the most part).....now its "glamping" in our off-road tent trailer!
We had a saying....."Any idiot can be uncomfortable". I can tell you this, you can endure much more if your comfortable and not cold wet tired and hungry.
I know lots of people who don't pack some creature comforts or go really austere and they are miserable. Then they don't go out again or don't go out as much because they are uncomfortable.
We got to remember, Overlanding is not escaping from a zombie apocalypse or a emergency bugout thing or having to escape a natural disaster ...... overlanding is recreation, exploration, and interacting with different than your own cultures and nations in remote locations and here is the best part.....it's vehicle based adventure! You don't have to carry it on your back.
All the years I have been reading National Geographic, Overland Journal even those guys brings tech comforts. Even in the military in some of the harshest areas we took tech with us to camp. As technology progresses the tech we bring with us changes. Some for the better...like the things everyone has mentioned....other things are better left at home,in the end it's a personal decision, which is largely dependent on space, weight, route you take and preference.
I say bring the tech if it makes your trip more comfortable, enjoyable, and safe.
Kevigizmo.....great idea for a thread.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: Rizzo and KD7WCD