Ryann
Last Name
Del Rosario
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Fulcrum1
Service Branch
USAF
Hey Team, new to Overland Bound. Im currently stationed in western Virginia. Outside of https://www.recreation.gov. Does any use other apps to plan/reserve camping spots for their trips? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

I frequent use the Nat Forest interactive map ( Forest Service Visitor Map )
and Gaia to give myself an idea of areas to explore, then just wing it.
I’d guess about 80% of the forest roads in the GW, Jefferson and Mon forests are groomed gravel. At least the one‘s that are open for more than fall hunting seasons…

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I use Gaia extensively to plan trips; the premium subscription contains many map types that are helpful for finding private/public land, finding dirt tracks, etc. They offer a web interface that syncs with their apps on your phone/tablet - I find planning on a large screen via the web interface to be light years ahead of poking at maps on a phone/tablet. For me it comes down to spending hours in the Gaia web interface picking through the area that I am interested in and creating waypoints/routes that Gaia transfers to their app on my devices. Just my $0.02.

Not sure about an app to find reservation type camp spots; the few times that I have stayed in a camp ground we have reserved through the local governing web site. You may find what you are looking for in the iOverlander app.