Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I see by many of the camp images that a lot of campers are close to the water. Having spent a ton of time camping, the environmentally friendly thing to do is a 100 to 200ft from all water sources. Camping closer has and will Here is a copy of the National Forest rules and BLM rule.

If we don't take care of our camping spots we will be banded from them.

Reactions: RoarinRow and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I see by many of the camp images that a lot of campers are close to the water. Having spent a ton of time camping, the environmentally friendly thing to do is a 100 to 200ft from all water sources. Camping closer has and will Here is a copy of the National Forest rules and BLM rule.

If we don't take care of our camping spots we will be banded from them.

Good advice, and good links.

Depending on where you are in the world and where you are camping, it's just not always possible to be 100-200 feet from all water sources. In fact, there are tons of state and national park campgrounds that have sites right along lake shores, streams, and rivers.

You're absolutely right though, that if we don't take care of our camping spots, and even better care of those sites that are used heavily and are right along shores, we will lose the right to use them.

Here's a short essay I wrote on insta about my experiences with having to camp closer to shore than always suggested, concentrating more on proper waste water disposal from camp:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I like your article, unfortunately most camper don't follow your teachings. Look at the camp photos and read the camp kitchen stories. I see campers way to close to water, If I point it out they look at me like I'm from another planet.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I like your article, unfortunately most camper don't follow your teachings. Look at the camp photos and read the camp kitchen stories. I see campers way to close to water, If I point it out they look at me like I'm from another planet.

Yep, thanks. I'm well aware. That's why I post about it from time to time, along with trash cleanup posts, and when folks stop by my camp asking about my rig, I always bring up proper camp etiquette as far as dealing with dishes, food waste, grey water, camp bathroom techniques, etc.

I've found that most situations, when approached the right way, can be positive opportunities for education instead of shaming. A lot of folks just don't know, unaware of the ramifications or potential of what their camp might create.

Here's a post I made about the ever increasing numbers of campers and 'overlanders' and off-road vehicles backcountry, and how to better deal with our own human waste:

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

All sound advice! One thing I don’t like here by Lake Chelan, WA. is there is no place really to clean up and shower up, dump your garbage, not all areas have and outhouse. That means take care of those things yourself, for the Weekend Overlander. So, come ready to follow the practice above in Roads posts, and help keep things open to the public, and others to safely, healthily for all, humans and natural critters too! Vance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Road and MMc

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Careful. It really depends where, that you are.

Fl, can camp on the beach, or on a sandy pile in the middle of the Suwanee river ( on foot of course).

Ohio state parks have camp sites all the way to the waters edge. My favorite camp site is actually about 20' deep. Sleep on the boat. Paddle over to the parks showerhouse in the morning.