drabina

Rank I

Enthusiast I

NJ
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Drabina
So it was decided that my kids and I will be heading to White Mountains, NH in August. I would like to setup base at a campground and then from there do daily trips to explore some fire roads and remote locations. With that, I am looking for campground recommendations in or around White Mountains, NH. My kids are 12 and 15 so we do not need playground but a pool or access to a river/lake would be a plus. I have never been to NH but have been camping a lot in NJ and PA. We have 1 car and 1 big tent.

Travelinjohnnie

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Washington Township, NJ 08081, USA
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Whitten
Member #

We stayed at Wildwood Campground in the White's....located off of Lost River Road --- which heads out West of Lincoln NH off of I 93. It is a National Forest camp--- reservable on Recreation.gov. Reservations were an option but there are also First come First serve sites from what I see on the website. NO pool but a nice campground with pit toilets. There was a commercial campground that we passed on the way... Lost River Valley Campground that seemed to have a lot going on but too crowded for our likes.

Reactions: RJ Howell

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

My suggestion, especially if the first time family camping in NH, would be Hancock Campground NF east of Lincoln on Rt 112 (The Kancamagus Highway). The Town of Lincoln is nearby (touristy) and the Kanc has much to offer for hikes of all levels. The CG sits along the Pemi, so water to play in! Up the road is a wonder hike (The Wilderness Trail) along the Pemi and up to several waterfalls (13 Falls Loop). A day's loop drive can bring you around Mt Washington. Temptation would be to drive up Mt Washington (which as a resident I still have not done), yet I will suggest that going to Fabian Station and riding the Cog is a better choice. You, the driver, get to relax and enjoy as well! The Flume (and other attractions) are just up the road (Rt 93) from Lincoln as well.

Traveling west on RT 112 (as travelinjohnnie suggests) leads to a lesser traveled area on NH. I would have suggested this as well, but... one of the best drives over there is closed down due to a washout (s) in the road (not Rt 112, but another very scenic road).

Do hope you enjoy my state! Feel free to PM me for any info I can pass along!

Reactions: NHMachinist

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I am biased but my favorite is Wild River Campground in Evans Notch (My dad was a Forest Ranger for this area). It is part of the White Mountains accessed via RT 113 in Maine. About 45 minutes from North Conway NH. Campground has access to a bunch of novice-difficult trails. Wild River is close to the campground. Toilet facilities in place (outhouse style).

Edit: Also this seems to be some of the least crowded areas of the White Mountains. Often during the summer and fall I have hiked the trails and met very few hikers. (a plus for me). Certain features can be crowded like Rattlesnake Pool and Emerald Pool especially during the warmer months

Last edited:
Reactions: NHMachinist

drabina

Rank I

Enthusiast I

NJ
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Drabina
Yes, the trip is still on. We are leaving NJ on the 13th. I got reservations at Baker River Campground in Rumney, NH. I have picked a campground with some amenities as we are going to be staying there till the 18th. Then we will head to Adirondacks for 3 days on the way back home.

Any good off road trails near Rumney that we should check out? Fire roads are fine as we are not interested in any rock crawling or water crossings.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Both The Flatlander & BDR NE section 6 pass through there. Both are mostly paved with some dirt roads. Both are rural NH countryside! PM me if you want the .gpx files.

Just came back from our first trip through the Adirondacks! Stayed at Wellington Notch CG. You have a spot you are heading to? You familiar with Adirondack Camping?

drabina

Rank I

Enthusiast I

NJ
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Drabina
Both The Flatlander & BDR NE section 6 pass through there. Both are mostly paved with some dirt roads. Both are rural NH countryside! PM me if you want the .gpx files.

Just came back from our first trip through the Adirondacks! Stayed at Wellington Notch CG. You have a spot you are heading to? You familiar with Adirondack Camping?
I will send you PM regarding the GPX. Thanks.

In Adirondacks we are staying at a campground in North Hudson. From there we are going to explore Indian Lake, Inlet and surrounding areas. I have been there couple of times so I know good places for hiking, fishing, etc. Not sure if there are much off-roading though. I think Moose River Plains is where I could find some dirt roads.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I've heard of Moose River Plains and researched a bit. Seems like a lot of woods despised camping and hike in ponds. I need to dig deeper into it. I'm researching for a good camp spot near a stream/brook to do some fishing. I saw several great spots to fish while up there, yet tough finding a camp spot nearby.

drabina

Rank I

Enthusiast I

NJ
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Drabina
I've heard of Moose River Plains and researched a bit. Seems like a lot of woods despised camping and hike in ponds. I need to dig deeper into it. I'm researching for a good camp spot near a stream/brook to do some fishing. I saw several great spots to fish while up there, yet tough finding a camp spot nearby.
I went thru a portion of MRP once and saw some of the camping sites. There was one right by the stream which looked like a good place to fish. Unfortunately, I didn't record the GPS coordinates plus I assume that it is very popular spot so not sure of its availability as I think most of the spots are first come, first served.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

And hiking in ponds. That's a tough one
Jesse... guys.. spec checker... that's a tough one..
See!!! spell, as I typed it came ut as spec... even worst when you dictate it and they spec it wrong... arg... I give up...

I don't despise (had to check) hiking in as long as it short. I like to travel with the 'belly boat' and that's easy to carry. Also pretty nice to nap in! Go ahead, ask..

• Haha
Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
See!!! spell, as I typed it came ut as spec... even worst when you dictate it and they spec it wrong... arg... I give up...

I don't despise (had to check) hiking in as long as it short. I like to travel with the 'belly boat' and that's easy to carry. Also pretty nice to nap in! Go ahead, ask..
I turn spell checking off on my Apple devices - it has a way of really mangling things ;)

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I turn spell checking off on my Apple devices - it has a way of really mangling things ;)
Said from a dude wearing what in his head??? Just busting' ya, since you busted me...
I work with Siri learning and she does great, short of the few I don't catch...

Anywho, (see Siri learned), where the OP is headed is close to some cool places in New Hampshire, or The Shire as I like to call it. If you wish to step of the path (Road less traveled as one said) there's much to be seen! Stop and have a chat with a local and who knows what new wonders you will see.
I not only do this around my home base, yet everywhere I go that someone will engage. I find folks are folks no matter where, okay some exceptions do apply yet for the most part, if you engage and they do.... there's something to be learned!

I welcome the OP to my state! I hope I can engage while his family is here. I do think that's what it's all about... aye (right would be correct from my NFLD heritage but you guys get 'aye' so I use.. much more if interested..)

• Haha
Reactions: Ubiety

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Yes, the trip is still on. We are leaving NJ on the 13th. I got reservations at Baker River Campground in Rumney, NH. I have picked a campground with some amenities as we are going to be staying there till the 18th. Then we will head to Adirondacks for 3 days on the way back home.

Any good off road trails near Rumney that we should check out? Fire roads are fine as we are not interested in any rock crawling or water crossings.
Hmm... Let me work on this and see what I could do. You have interest in changing camping sites during your visit? I have a couple in mind on a drive that might work.

drabina

Rank I

Enthusiast I

NJ
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Drabina
Hmm... Let me work on this and see what I could do. You have interest in changing camping sites during your visit? I have a couple in mind on a drive that might work.
I have already reserved the campground in Rumney for the whole stay. It will be our base.

So far, I created a list of things to see, hikes and other attractions. But those are the ones you find in every NH travel guide. I would love to see other less known places.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Ha ha, I'm one of the WORST!