Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
A empty Crystal Geyser water jug works great as a sand anchor.

View attachment 171182
One of 2 ways to accomplish the same thing in camp. Submit it under a validation (OB Innovator). Get credit for it. I like the idea for it's simplicity AND EASY clean-up/ storage. And for a 3rd bonus idea (full water jug), it is something you need to have with you for obvious travel/camp reasons. That size should work for all but high wind gusts, and so much more practical over carrying some bricks and finding room in your rig. Great idea!............... :grinning:

Reactions: Mike G

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Still sleeping on the ground? Make it more comfortable with this mountain man* tip; before setting up the tent dig a shallow depression for your hips, roughly 20"w x 12"l and 2"d. taper the edges, set your tent footprint on top and laydown with hips in depression and make sure the footprint is in the right place. Adjust as necessary. Do the same with the tent before you stake it down. Once the tent is up, set the pad and bag over the depression and check the fit. Sleep like a baby that night. Warning doesn't work for stomach sleepers! When you pack up put the soil back in the depression. Leave no trace!

* Really, I read this in my teens in a mountain man biography.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
One of 2 ways to accomplish the same thing in camp. Submit it under a validation (OB Innovator). Get credit for it. I like the idea for it's simplicity AND EASY clean-up/ storage. And for a 3rd bonus idea (full water jug), it is something you need to have with you for obvious travel/camp reasons. That size should work for all but high wind gusts, and so much more practical over carrying some bricks and finding room in your rig. Great idea!............... :grinning:
Maybe a canvas or plastic bag? That would store easy enough.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Not my idea, another member suggested using milk jugs but I only had the crystal geyser jug, which worked just as well.

Reactions: Desert Runner

joshjunior

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Memphis
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I really like my tailgaters for organizing everything. I use one for cooking stuff and one for misc camping stuff like bug spray, flashlights, etc... I got them on amazon for about $30 ea. I hang them on the side of my truck we set up and roll them up and toss them in a plastic tote when we leave.
Also, I couldn't imagine spending $250 on a skottle when I could make one out of a free used plow disc. It took about 45 min and about $15 since I didn't have the right size box tubing for the legs or the thumb screws to adjust the burner height and to hold the legs on. I happened to already have the burner so that saved me $20. I use it all the time and it works great. I built a wood box with a lid for it so I can stack stuff on it. It hauls the disc, the burner and a couple propane bottles in it and is much less awkward to store and haul around.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Kinda interested in seeing how you mounted the burner

• Love
Reactions: Desert Runner

Adventures with Penny

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Eagle Mountain, Utah, United States
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Peiser
Member #

If you sleep in your vehicle or on top you should mount some levels somewhere to easily find a level surface to sleep. If it is just not possible to level out, I find it easier to shave some dirt to lower one corner of the truck instead of having to stack rocks or bring those RV step things. If you are on a solid surface that would be the on,y exception.
View attachment 5422
Also, If you're in the northern hemisphere and you plan to use an awning you will get maximum shade if you park with the awning side of your vehicle facing north.
I highly recommend this. I have 2 to help get the vehicle completely level. There is nothing worse than waking up with your head jammed into the corner of your tent. You can get them on amazon for pretty cheap.
1601313887628.png

Last edited:

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
What a great thread, I've created a list of things I'm going to get after reading through this whole thread that ended up with 15 items or ideas on it that I will be implementing! I already ordered the levels to mount to my RTT rack! I haven't seen it mentioned a lot here but solar lighting prices have come down a lot and solar lighting for camping is great, there's a lot of options out there so shop around. Another thing I do is for the floor of the tent I get moving blankets from Harbor Freight and it's like having cheap carpet that cushions your feet inside the tent, easier to deploy than those foam squares. I also picked up some canvas tarps that I lay on the ground under ground tents. The combination of the canvas under that tent and the moving blanket inside the tent make things pretty nice.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
We talked about water storage solutions while on the trail in another topic here in OB forum a while ago.

I usually use a black flexible water reservoir from the swiss army for showering. Water heats up in the sun. That works fine. Attention: the water can get really hot in this waterbags, better to check and add cold water before use! Another possibility if you carry water jerry cans anyway is to get a little electric pump and a hose (or buy a ready to use 12V camping shower kit) and use the water from the jerry can for showering. To have a warm shower just heat up a bit of water on the camping stove and add to the cold water in the jerry can.

Both is quite simple to use while on the trail and does not take to much extra room in the rig.