Camp Poop (sorry for the bluntness but I want to know)

• HTML tutorial

MooreAdventures

Rank VII

Inventor III

Bono, Arkansas, United States
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WSAB981
Service Branch
Army
I think
Good ole trail poop lol
I think I have that same pop-up for the potty/shower. Was like $20. Folds up easily, a bit flimsy in even the lightest wind unless you use the tie downs with anchors. Honestly my last 3 remote trips I have been the only one around and I just shower/poop in the open and haven't had to use the pop-up.
Oh yea it’s a cheap Amazon item but my wife like her privacy so it’s mainly for her but we both use it for bathroom and shower duties

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I use a 5gal Home Depot bucket combined with a $20 snap on toilet seat and lid from Amazon and some compostable bags, combined with a cheap pop up privacy tent. I think two rolls of a couple hundred bags were like 10 bucks. Since choosing this option, I've seen a few slightly more elegant versions of the same thing (basically just collapsible ones instead of using the rigid bucket), which leads me to the big question:

Is it worth spending $125-160 to upgrade to a casette style toilet with a manual flush and holding tank vs the bucket and bags method? So far, I don't think anyone in this thread has mentioned the cassette toilet style and what advantages/disadvantages it has over a simpler system. I'm starting to think it isn't worth the expense vs what I have or a $35 collapsible version for easier storage.

Thoughts? Opinions? Experience?

Reactions: HeliSniper

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I'd keep the bucket idea, and get one of those pop up bathroom tents off Amazon, mainly if you have a lady with you so she can be more comfortable, but it also doubles as a shower tent! For the long weeks on the trail
I actually have the pop up privacy tent already, $20 amazon one, which I use in conjunction with the Home Depot bucket.

I considered putting together a portable/collapsible shower floor to go inside, then rig up a DIY road shower type setup.

Reactions: HeliSniper

Sclary3

Rank VI

Advocate II

Hahnville, St. Charles Parish, Louisiana, United States
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Clary
Member #

Service Branch
Sheriffs Deputy
I'd keep the bucket idea, and get one of those pop up bathroom tents off Amazon, mainly if you have a lady with you so she can be more comfortable, but it also doubles as a shower tent! For the long weeks on the trail
I actually have the pop up privacy tent already, $20 amazon one, which I use in conjunction with the Home Depot bucket.

I considered putting together a portable/collapsible shower floor to go inside, then rig up a DIY road shower type setup.
I bought a shower head pump on Amazon that has a USB rechargeable pump, it works great as a facet/ shower, drop the pump in a bucket and turn it on, it's amazing and it was like $30

DangitDad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Wyoming
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Veltkamp
Member #

Not much mention of the old-school portable toilets...? The integrated units with chemically treated water reservoir and black water tank. Pump some blue water into the bowl, do your bidness, and "flush" it down. Not fun to empty into the toilet after you get home but otherwise works ok. The chemical makes it to not smell too bad, even at that point. Things getting stuck in the tank is the worst part. Eat some fiber, dangit!

I recall the bottled treatment powder being pretty cheap. Looks like they only offer "detergent pod" style things now. Difficult to tell on some of the packages but looks to be <$12 usd per 10 count bag, so <$1.20 per pod, where one pod/tank would probably be enough for an entire week for us. Lots of kids but we're boondockers. "Kids, no peeing in the toilet! God invented trees for a reason."

**edit** - I suppose if I was looking at carrying one in the car ride home, I wouldn't use the portable toilet. Mine is stored in the camper...