Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
Anyone do pizza at camp? I know a wood-fired oven is the traditional cooking method, but given we aren't hauling in a ton of bricks, that doesn't work for overlanding. What methods do you have? I feel like this would be a good, hearty meal on the go, but not sure on the execution...

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
We camp with family quite often and my Brother-in-Law is very into food creation.. we got him a propane pizza oven and he supplies camp pizzas during out trips;

lol, pretty cush - but the pizza turns out fantastic every time.
That's awesome! Not sure Alton Brown would approve, since that seems like quite the single-purpose tool...

Reactions: Adventure Bully Rig

ManWithJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Aaa
Member #

Was watching Ronny Dahl's channel the other day, he uses a pot with a lid. Puts the lid upside down on the burner and cooks the pizza on the lid. Covers it with the upside down pot to keep the heat in. Thought that was pretty smart - cheaper alternative than a dedicated pizza oven.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I bought an Outback Oven Plus Ten kit about 25 years ago. I used it maybe half a dozen times, and it worked okay. Just sorta cumbersome to use. It is in my backpacking tub somewhere in the garage...

It works like this:

GrizzCamp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Laird
Last Name
Maresch
Member #

You win! I need this. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, the pizzas really do come out pretty tasty. Once you go wood fired at camp you never go back lol. This is my usual lunch, I use Trader Joe's Sliced Deli Porchetta, Fresh Basil, Mozzarella, San Marzano Tomatoes and Spaghetti Sauce cause I like the sauce lightly spread.

IMG_9657.jpg

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Thanks, the pizzas really do come out pretty tasty. Once you go wood fired at camp you never go back lol. This is my usual lunch, I use Trader Joe's Sliced Deli Porchetta, Fresh Basil, Mozzarella, San Marzano Tomatoes and Spaghetti Sauce cause I like the sauce lightly spread.

View attachment 14511

I hear ya! That makes my mouth water just looking at it. For the sauce, try Newman's Own marinara, it's what we've been using for home made pizza for years. Guess it's time to break out the Coleman oven and give this a go!

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I love pizza so I like this thread. Definitely going to look into this.

Jar sauce? What the heck is wrong with you people?
... and just like that, my mother is on the forum haha.

GrizzCamp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Laird
Last Name
Maresch
Member #

I hear ya! That makes my mouth water just looking at it. For the sauce, try Newman's Own marinara, it's what we've been using for home made pizza for years. Guess it's time to break out the Coleman oven and give this a go!
We love our Coleman oven, it's my go to breakfast box in the morning and perfect for keeping food hot till the family gets to it. Never tried the Newman's Own, gonna have to do a pizza sauce battle one trip and have a judging panel lol.

Reactions: Mike G and TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
We love our Coleman oven, it's my go to breakfast box in the morning and perfect for keeping food hot till the family gets to it. Never tried the Newman's Own, gonna have to do a pizza sauce battle one trip and have a judging panel lol.
It's good stuff! Spreads easily and is a great consistency for pizza. Plus it's great if you want to do garlic cheese bread with your pizza. I'm really wanting to try pizza on my Coleman now. Maybe I can convince the wife that we should give it a try tomorrow.

GrizzCamp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Laird
Last Name
Maresch
Member #

It's good stuff! Spreads easily and is a great consistency for pizza. Plus it's great if you want to do garlic cheese bread with your pizza. I'm really wanting to try pizza on my Coleman now. Maybe I can convince the wife that we should give it a try tomorrow.
Lol, thats why they put 4 burner stoves in homes right? I've gotten in more trouble with gear in the house then I care to count lol. Apparently my wife "The Boss" also does not appreciate when I setup tents in the living room to carefully vacuum, wipe down and inspect after a trip lolol.

Reactions: Matt92101