Duncan, Spartanburg County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Hastings
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Off the Old 105 in the Linville Gorge in NC.

Attachments

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Sea Diamond Undoubtedly some of each! Consider asking the same question today - is it really, truly cheaper or more convenient to live in a house in a town, or on wheels? The truth is that then, just like now, in your homeland or abroad, you had to choose the right home based on what made the most sense for your job and your income.

The grid hadn't been developed nearly as much yet then, and people didn't yet rely on many of the conveniences which we now require in order to be productive and participate in an advanced worldwide society, so there would have been somewhat of a different trade-off 80-100 years ago from what we would face today.

The basic necessities remain the same - eat, sleep, stay clean, dispose of your trash - but the facilities in place to handle these needs were different, and nobody relied on telephones or walkie-talkies, portable showers, or roof-top tents before they existed!

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
@Sea Diamond Undoubtedly some of each! Consider asking the same question today - is it really, truly cheaper or more convenient to live in a house in a town, or on wheels? The truth is that then, just like now, in your homeland or abroad, you had to choose the right home based on what made the most sense for your job and your income.

The grid hadn't been developed nearly as much yet then, and people didn't yet rely on many of the conveniences which we now require in order to be productive and participate in an advanced worldwide society, so there would have been somewhat of a different trade-off 80-100 years ago from what we would face today.

The basic necessities remain the same - eat, sleep, stay clean, dispose of your trash - but the facilities in place to handle these needs were different, and nobody relied on telephones or walkie-talkies, portable showers, or roof-top tents before they existed!
hey Dint...your comment here sure provoked a lot of thought. And without a doubt living in a RTT is far less expensive than being surrounded by all the trappings of a well rooted home. We live this somewhat vagabond lifestyle not because of economics but due to the heat that beats down on our well rooted home. We pack up the 4x4 and head up to the mountains for half the year. And our life is considerably richer for it.

Anyways, the photo had me thinking about the powerful novel The Grapes of Wrath and what families were living through during the great depression. My mom's family migrated from N. Dakota to Canada back then...and doubt very much they had a motorized vehicle. Sure wish I asked more questions when I was a kid ;-)

So to all who keep this lifestyle going...all the power to us!

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Sea Diamond Often people find themselves doing the same things for very different reasons as well. Some travel to get away from some thing (such as weather/economy/war) while others travel to get to some thing (such as friends/work/attraction).

For certain, there is a freedom to be had in both homes. Always having a place to go back to brings peace of mind to some, whereas being tied to a particular place bores others.

Towns are built from places where people camp. Houses are simply big tents built where people wanted to camp permanently.

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
yuppers...I fully agree. After half a year in the mountains...I arrive back home and immediately think of that big ol' oak hallstand in the foyer as a boy with a copper plaque that read "East, West, homes Best". After six months again I start remembering my father saying "home is where you hang your hat, son".mmexport1657063540152.jpg