Pearland, TX, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Specht
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRWK279
I know several people will probably scoff at AC for a RTT; however, we do a lot of camping in Texas and during the summer. We currently use a Tripp-Lite AC unit and it works great, but it is big and is a pain. I was curious if anyone uses something like the Zero Breeze (does it really work?) or other units outside of a window unit. Always looking for ideas to improve our setup.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Those look pretty fancy. I know people that travel with dogs that seem to have more temperature constraints than just humans do. I know I have seen a few pet owners with those.

I have always gotten along pretty well with fans. I love the Claymore Fan, battery powered, runs for a very long time. When it is really hot weather I like to make sure I have plenty of time so I can do tasks around camp at a leisurely pace, keep my temp down, use my 270 awning, take breaks. When I sleep I pretty much always want a fan on me. a zerobreeze is probably amazing but it is pretty large/expensive. I guess it is along the same lines as the diesel heaters, you either have to have the right sleeping gear for cold or use heat all the air.

Reactions: Basecamp Overland

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I know several people will probably scoff at AC for a RTT; however, we do a lot of camping in Texas and during the summer. We currently use a Tripp-Lite AC unit and it works great, but it is big and is a pain. I was curious if anyone uses something like the Zero Breeze (does it really work?) or other units outside of a window unit. Always looking for ideas to improve our setup.

Found this:
Not that Good
More of a spot cooler than anything else. If there is even a slight breeze the unit will be overwhelmed. The air flow is not very strong. I find it's best used in a small enclosed area with the tube pointed right at you.

>>MARK2 replied:
Thanks for reaching out!
You are right, The Mark 2 is a 2300 btu personal air condition that can cool down a single target in the open outdoors, as well as the bedroom area of an RV or truck at night for a comfortable sleep.
(Due to the portable and low power characteristics of MARK 2, it is not recommended to be used in-room air conditioning, or to replace car air conditioning during the day)
When we cool down a given size space, the cooling effect is closely related to the number of people inside, the insulation condition, the sun exposure, and the climate. Based on our test, its ideal cooling space is 25~40 sq ft. At the same time, the ambient temperature is 100F/38C. Humidity is about 50%, no direct sunlight, good insulation condition, and the temperature can be reduced by 9-22F/5- 10C.
It has different modes that you can switch on, and the rocket mode is the strongest.
We have several blog aricles about how to keep cool on our official website, please feel free to check them out. Knowledge
Have a great day,

Seems it would be ok for a RTT I think.....

Jim

Reactions: Basecamp Overland

Basecamp Overland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Pearland, TX, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Specht
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRWK279
That is great info, thanks! I just struggle to pull the trigger on something that expensive that is just not a guarantee.

This company used to make something that would be a great solution, but it says sold-out indefinitely. I wish another company would come out with something like this.

mwilson920

US West Region Local Expert Las Vegas

Protector II

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Following..... please post your results as the season goes on. Living in the SW, heat is certainly a factor when going out to explore.

13XSPX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brunswick, GA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

Bump any updates on this? I'm going back and forth between the EcoFlow Wave 2 and the ZeroBreeze.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
ok...i went down this rabbit hole so far that i'll be coughing up rabbit pellets for the next few months...

i absolutely LOVE the idea of a portable air conditioning unit i can take camping. unfortunately it is more of an idea than it is a reality. compressors and heating elements are just power hungry by nature and that is why electric heating and cooling is not something that is currently going to work well off of a battery. i'm sure in time there will be a tech breakthrough that will allow for it...but until then, i have found only one solution that works.

i wanted a small a/c to go in my CTC and the best i found was going with a 2300w inverter generator (weighs 39 pounds, about the same as some 12v batteries) and a 5000 btu window unit.

1695241171031.png1695241259877.png

we take the genny with us anyway, so all i did was buy the small window unit and build a box for it so i can keep the whole unit inside the camper and not cut a giant hole to mount it and still be able to isolate the exhaust from the room air and then i can vent it anywhere. the portable a'c units are a LOT bigger, weigh a lot more and pull more power to get the same amount of cooling. you still need to address the hot exhaust no matter what kind of unit you buy. even the battery operated units still need to be vented outside.

if i was going to use this in a tent, i would get a piece of plywood a few inches wider and a foot taller and cut out a square for the unit to fit thru so that it is essentially like it would be if mounted in a window so that the front is inside the tent and blowing cold air while the plywood isolates the rear exhaust and the tent can zip up behind the plywood to seal the tent and keep the hot exhaust outside while keeping the cooler air in the tent.

yeah, its a bit cumbersome for a tent...but, still doable. for a camper, camper shell, etc., it works really well.

the 5000w unit pulls less than half of the genny's rated output. THATS why i went this route. i can run this around 6 hours off one tank.

Last edited: