Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

I get what your saying, thats why I want to go with the session. Hopefully I can get a Rebel soon, but I can't hang that from the GoPro mount on my windshield.
Just make sure you invest on a good sturdy tripod. That is crucial if you want to try night photography.

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

I was a pro back in the "film" days and now just dabble for fun and personal projects. I have three simple suggestions.

Shoot what you can afford.
Master what you have and understand it's limitations.
Learn what makes a good photograph.

We get so worked up on equipment we forget that even the simplest of cameras can take a great photograph in the hands of a good photographer. Yes, long telephotos or super-wide lenses can make for dramatic images. Having a bazillion megapixels is handy too. In the end if the image doesn't tell a story, move the viewer or dramatically record a moment in time we wish to save forever it's just a snapshot and we all have drawers full of snapshots.

Learn about composition and how the eye moves through an image. Understand light and use it for dramatic effect. Learn the basic tools of photography; aperture, shutter-speed and ISO and how they are used to capture the image you see in your mind. Then shoot lots of images and learn from your mistakes. Most of all, have fun. Photography is a great reason to #outfitandexplore

Dan & Jen Nevada

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

On the Road...
Member #

I get what your saying, thats why I want to go with the session. Hopefully I can get a Rebel soon, but I can't hang that from the GoPro mount on my windshield.
Only problem with a Session is no removable battery. If you can run power to it, I believe that's an option. Otherwise, when it's out of juice, you've lost the camera until it's recharged.

You could get a cheaper Chinese knock-off with replaceable batteries. You'll still get decent video (from what I hear) and they cost a lot less money. Plus, if you go with a cheaper model and break it, it's virtually disposable anyway.

As for video and photos, depends on your needs and skill. But I bought a Panasonic Lumix G7 last winter for $500 bucks. Shoots great video but the stabilization is only OK. Takes good pictures too. Not as small as a point and shoot but not as big as a DLSR. Has interchangeable lenses too. The kit 14-42 lens is perfect for vlog style video. Unfortunately, they are up to about $800 now. The newer version, G85 is a grand and an amateur probably couldn't get any more use out of a Canon 80D. Plus it's weather sealed and has better IS than the G7.

In any case, I use the G7 almost exclusively for most of my vlog footage. Added a Rode Video Mic GO and a GorillaPod. Love it. For photos, iPhone or when I'm serious, my Canon T2i. G7 takes nice stills but prefer to leave it in video mode.

Reactions: Arizona Overland